driving to greece

swaythling5

planning to drive to Greece next april, Mitchilin route takes us Belgium, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Serbia, Macedonia, into Greece.

would be grateful for any tips, regarding insurance, places to avoid or suggestions of any better routes, we are hoping to be away for about 8 weeks so want to get to Greece as quickly as possible.We have a a 6.2 metre van.

Guest Had Enough
swaythling5 - 2014-09-29 11:22 AM

planning to drive to Greece next april, Mitchilin route takes us Belgium, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Serbia, Macedonia, into Greece.

would be grateful for any tips, regarding insurance, places to avoid or suggestions of any better routes, we are hoping to be away for about 8 weeks so want to get to Greece as quickly as possible.We have a a 6.2 metre van.

Insurance will depend on your provider. I switched insurer because mine wouldn't cover Bosnia, Morocco, Macedonia and Albania etc.

As for a better route a popular one seems to be driving down through Italy and then the ferry from the various ports on the eastern coast. You'd avoid any potential insurance problems going that way.

• 2 weeks later...
swaythling5 - 2014-09-29 11:22 AM

The ferry from Italy would be the quickest and safest option if you just want to grt there quickly and not worried about cost.

We went down to Croatia last year and we saidd if we had more time another year we would go to Greece. The first part of Michelin route is the way we went and that is the way we would go if we went to Greece but after Austria we would go through Slovenia, Croatia, (using the new mountain top road), Bosnia, Macedonia and Albania. I got van insurance through The Caravan Club with AXA and got the green card FOC for Bosnia.

We got held up for nearly three hours in Luxemburg and Germany due to long term road works on the autobahns. We also got held up in Austria and Slovenia for two weeks because they are so beautiful. (lol)

We love Greece, been going there for years by plane but if you get good weather in Austria and Slovenia they are well worth giving them go if you haven't been before.

As already said, Serbia, Macedonia, etc. may cause you insurance problems. Check with your insurer and if necessary change.

As also said, ferry from Italy is shortest drive and overall quickest, and avoids the insurance problems, but which route works out best will depend on where in Greece your are headed.

Ferries are available From Venice, Ancona, and Bari. Bari is the shortest crossing, but the longest drive, and others have previously commented that they didn't reckon the saving warranted the additional driving. Venice takes you down the Giudecca Canal, which provides a wonderful view of the city as you pass, and would be a spectacular start/finale to your trip. Haven't done this, but have somewhat enviously watched the ferries pass from the canal-side! Ancona worked quite well for us, about 17 hours I think, overnight both ways. The camping on board option is fine generally, but availability is limited, and is subject to seasonal restrictions (basically it isn't available in late autumn, winter, or early spring).

It can pay handsomely to book early, however, as there are some big discounts for early bookers. I'd suggest a bit of research on the ferries. We used Anek (2010), and it was very good, but I get the impression they may have been overtaken in terms of quality by Superfast. But I guess this is an endlessly moving story!

If you are heading east, say from Salonica towards Turkey, you could avoid the insurance problems with your overland route by going via Hungary, Romaina, and Bulgaria instead, as these are all now in the EU, so your insurer should automatically cover them without Green Card. Its a bit further, but not too bad especially if that part of Greece is where you are going.

Archived