Bio diesel

lazarus

can anyone tell me,if am running my mh on bio diesel ie old chip pan oil from my local chippy and chinese takeaway, and my emissions are zero,shouldn't the van be VED free ? I have read the blurb on the ugov website and this appears to be the case.there must be a catch somewhere! Have I misread ?

Bio diesel is refined vegetable oil, you can buy it at some pumps, or buy a converter for about £1,000 to make it for about 40p a litre. It's quite legal to use it if your not selling it.

Straight vegetable oil (SVO),or even chip fat can be used but is usually heated to thin it, especially in the winter.

Older diesels can manage OK, but some fuel pump seals are vulnerable and can leak, I ran a Pajero on 50/50 vegetable oil and diesel, but my early Land Rover Lucas fuel pump wasn't suitable.

You still get emissions, and funny looks from passers by who think a chip van is passing.

A friend thought he would save money by driving to France to go skiing with a huge drum of SVO in the back of his twin cab. Needless to say it froze up and he brought the whole lot back.

lazarus - 2014-09-29 8:16 PM

Ok toxic emission free!

Nope, still has similar emissions to running on pump diesel but in slightly differing proportions.

I'm no expert on VED, but vehicle rates are determined from data supplied to DFT, I'm guessing to get yours changed you would need to submit that data, if a convertor can supply this, if not I would guess the cost to an individual would make it uneconomical, unless that is DFT give some general relief in VED for veg oil.

Sadly it will just make your running costs cheaper. The VED is determined at factory based on the emissions that are published.

Nothing will change it once registered not even if it was running on gas! Shame really as it would be helpful. I guess there is not way of regulating it.

I have read up a bit on bio fuels, they are not all good. Modern engines and pumps, injectors etc can be badly affected by using straight vegetable oil and even more than 5% of added bio deisel in the fuel can be a problem. It is a complex subject, but as I see it modern engines are designed to run on modern diesel (fossil) fuels. Anything else can mean expensive engine damage.

Still, the EU don't seem to care, they are about to force us to use 10% added bio fuel. I don't suppose they will pay for the resulting damage though.

H

PS You can buy normal power vacuums (more than the EU 1.6kw) from Hong Kong and have them shipped in for no extra charge :-)

hallii - 2014-09-30 4:34 PM

PS You can buy normal power vacuums (more than the EU 1.6kw) from Hong Kong and have them shipped in for no extra charge :-)

We have a 1500w Miele vacuum which is much better than the 2200w Hoover it replaced so have no need to buy inefficient goods.

• 2 weeks later...
Bio diesel is for sale at many commercial pums and it is bascially a redefined form of vegetable oil. Lot of people believes that bio diesel makes the vehicle smoke free, but is is not issue, it just ameks it carbon less. So lesser pollution. Also,m one cam make the diesel at home, but they cannot sell it. Stricly for personal use only.

Bio diesel is for sale at many commercial pums and it is bascially a redefined form of vegetable oil. Lot of people believes that bio diesel makes the vehicle smoke free, but is is not issue, it just ameks it carbon less. So lesser pollution. Also,m one cam make the diesel at home, but they cannot sell it. Stricly for personal use only.

"Lpg motorhomes would be a good system, single tank for engine and fittings"

According to the LPG convertor who fitted my car system(s), this is not possible. When initially looking for a motorhome I considered getting a petrol vehicle and having an LPG conversion done & I specifically asked about running the hab side from the engine LPG tank. I was told this was not possible for two reasons - the liquid take-off tanks for the engine do not have any suitable spare appertures to connect a vapour take off for the hab side regulator & the two types of installation are covered by different regulations, neither of which allow both a liquid and vapour take-off from a common tank. He did say that it would be possible to connect two tanks (liquid take-off and vapour take-off) via non-return valves to a common filler point, so both tanks would be filled at every fill up, but that two (different) tanks would be required.

Archived