My New Van.

Ninian

Hi, Well I picked up my New 2014 Autotrail Dakota on Wednesday. All I have to do now is work out how everything works. So much more complicated than my old Mohican.

Sorry Ninian but that is not the only thing that you have to work out it is how you are going to pay for it and pay for your expensive hobby.

A very experianced person on this site once told me that to keep a motorhome on the road you also need a good wedge in your back pocket.

Hope I have not put you off and hope you enjoy your motorhome for a long time to come best of luck.

Mike

Ar remember the feeling well. One of those situations when it really is worth sitting down with a cup of coffee (and a few shortbreads) and reading the manuals (especially those concerning the heating and hot water system!)

We love our AT Scout.

Guest Had Enough
Ninian - 2014-10-03 6:57 PM

Hi, Sorry Mickydripin, its bought and paid for. It just made a DENT in the wallet.

Yes, I didn't think that you'd buy a motorhome without considering the cost implications. I don't think that motorhoming is expensive at all. This year we've had over three months including three weeks in Morocco and several weeks in France.

The entire three months probably cost less than three weeks in a decent hotel on the Med. Try three months in various hotels and the flight costs etc. Now that would be a lot!

I don't motorhome to save money, I do it because I love the life but even including the capital costs I think it's very good value compared to months in hotels.

Good luck with the new 'van.

Hi Flicka, Yeah I did get a DVD but I haven't played it yet. I didn't realise that's what it was. I'll play it

to-morrow I'm sure that will be a great help. The controls seem to be all Menus, UP - DOWN etc etc. but I'll get there in the end.

Hi,

Hope you enjoy you're new Van, make sure you give ALL of the gadgets a good testing before tucking it away for the winter (if you intend to do that ?) my Heating/hot water system caused me lots of grief in the early days, but seems to be behaving itself lately. AND make sure you can get to the Dealers easily if you find you have to. (my Autotrail was 'new' in Oct. 2012). Good luck Ray

Hi ninian..

Off Topic...Not AT specific but one thing that I find/found handy was, once I'd found the sections of the manuals(fridge, heating, water heater etc)that actually related to the model that we actually had(..and in the language that we actually spoke!), I'd photo copy 'em, so that I didn't need to rummage through reams of schematics and installation diagrams, just to find out what some flashing LED meant! (lol)

pepe63 - 2014-10-03 7:47 PM

Hi ninian..

Off Topic...Not AT specific but one thing that I find/found handy was, once I'd found the sections of the manuals(fridge, heating, water heater etc)that actually related to the model that we actually had(..and in the language that we actually spoke!), I'd photo copy 'em, so that I didn't need to rummage through reams of schematics and installation diagrams, just to find out what some flashing LED meant! (lol)

I always download or scan any important bits like wiring diagrams that I might need and keep them as PDF files on either the netbook or ipad don't want to lug 4kg of manuals around.

Archived