Driving Licence Renewal

kelly58

Not exactly a motorhome matter , but has anyone any idea as to the legalities regarding driving licence renewal . My sister in laws licence expired on her 79th birthday , and is obviously up for renewal , but because of problems with her vision the DVLA have requested an eye test and field vision report from an independent Optician before they grant her a renewal . This has been done and sent to the DVLA and she is awaiting a reply , in the mean time she says she can still drive as her licence has not yet been revoked although it has expired. Personally I feel she is not legal to drive as she has not got a current licence in force at the moment pending the DVLA's decision , but she is adamant she still has a licence and refuses to get legal advice from our local Police in case they say she cannot drive until her new licence has been granted . Then of course there is the issue with the Insurance Co whereby surely No licence means No Insurance.

I cannot give you a definitive answer but I have to renew my class D licence ( bus driving ) annually with the associated medical forms. The DVLA send me a notice saying that I may continue to drive that class of vehicle while they faff about for three months ( I am paraphrasing..... ) as long as I am medically fit to do so. Having had the medical and no comment from the doctor to the negative; I can still drive on my 'expired' licence.

If she has such a notice from the dvla and her tested sight meets with the licence requirements then she is 'probably' right. The optician should have told her if her eyesight did not meet the required standards.

hth

Harvey

On renewing my licence last time. There was a delay in the issue of my new licence. I was told that I COULD drive untill the decision was made. It was renewed and the date was actualy 3 days after my birthday, so I now have extra time on my licence, before the next renewal.

Untill you are told you Cannot drive, then you are can, so yes your sister can still drive, though if she has eye problems , she should decide herself if she is safe to drive.

PJay

Another slight take on it.

Look on the back of the licence at the dates. If the Cat B date of expiry has passed I would suggest that she would be on a sticky wicket should she be stopped by the law enforcement, I have had experience of this, the persons car was towed and consideration was given to forming a prosecution for driving without a driving licence.

If however....

The date for the Cat B on the rear has not expired I would say she would be able to drive until notified otherwise by the DVLA.

From what's been posted I don't think she has lost her licence yet, although clealry she might do so. The ball is in DVLA's court and they haven't revoked her licence (and presumably the optician didn't advise her not to drive in the meantime) so she can continue until either of those things happens.

If you have applied for licence renewal or responded to a request from DVLA for a medical/opticians report and complied, you are allowed to carry on driving unless and until a revocation is made. Only if a doctor or optician advises you to stop driving straight away does a problem arise. You would then be regarded as blameworthy of you carried on and something happened.

Hopefully she won't kill anyone before DVLA make their decision. Most people who have failing faculties compensate by self-restricting their driving, so the risk to others isn't as big as you might think so climbing on your high horse with an urge to report her might not be justified. She would presumably feel bad about it afterwards if she did kill someone of course but wouldn't we all?

Southender - 2014-10-06 2:01 PM

You say her licence has expired, then she is driving illegally.

If she continues this idiotic practice she want reporting to the authorities immediately.

If i knew her name and address i would do it without hesitation.

What a lovely neighbourly chap you are, Glad the decision is not left to you, no doubt you are in favour of the introduction of Sharia law also ?

This lady didn't suddenly become a 'Bad Driver' the day after her license expired, it is a technicality, luckily the authorities allow for this. Ray

I t took 6 months for me to get my new licence from DVLA at 73, but they sent me a letter saying I could drive for up to a year as long as I was not banned or had health problems effecting my driving.

Luckily I now have a licence for another 3 years, but I think it may be my last,

This was for my 4ton. Motorhome.

Rayjsj - 2014-10-06 2:47 PM

If she continues this idiotic practice she want reporting to the authorities immediately.

What a lovely neighbourly chap you are, Glad the decision is not left to you, no doubt you are in favour of the introduction of Sharia law also ?

This lady didn't suddenly become a 'Bad Driver' the day after her license expired, it is a technicality, luckily the authorities allow for this. Ray

So you condone illegal drivers ?

Would it be a " technicality " if she caused an accident and killed someone and then found out she wasn`t insured and her driving licence had expired ?

What the hell has religion got to do with this you moron ?

My licence comes up for renewal next year (at age 70) so I face a medical examination in order to keep driving our current MH, so I started taking an interest in this subject a while ago.

I had done advanced motorcycling training about 10 years ago and the value of that opened my eyes to taking an active, interested approach to driving. So when I learned that our County Council offer older drivers free assesments/advice, with the aim of keeping them safe to drive for longer, I took up the offer, using our MH as the vehicle I drove.

It was a very useful experience and I would recommend it to eveyone approaching my age. The assessor (a qualified driving instructor) was very tactful as well as knowledgable and observant, and she gave me lots of useful tips. I was a bit nervous to start with (as you are for any sort of assessment, however innocently it's presented) but I soon relaxed and enjoyed the experience of driving under expert observation. It wasn't a pass/fail test of course, just an opportunity to inform and refresh.

There was a classroom session too, when you got to meet other who were doing the training - mostly older folk, many of whom seem to have been encouraged to do it for some reason or another, although a few were unsolicited volunteers, like me. Tea, biscuits and a tactfully delivered sermon, but worthwhile nonetheless - especially for the opportunity to meet the other drivers and listen to their questions. Mostly sensible people, there to learn and only one ego display that I recall, a relatively young er chap who made himself look a bit silly in my eyes, maybe those of others. Wanted to strut his stuff and insist he was right, instead of listenning properly and trying to understand what was being said. A bit like Southender in the previous post.

Regardless of your medical status, as you approach 70 there are bound to be weaknesses in your driving which are developing, so a bit of expert help to spot them and apply corrective action before you come to harm was valuable.

Your County Council might be running a similar scheme, why not give them a ring to find out?

I suspect that the concern is that she might have a visual field defect, i.e. a blank area or areas of peripheral vision, and so potentially a markedly increased risk of missing what's going on around her. This would be considered an important problem and might well cause her loss of her licence.

But there is a way of getting that tested and that's happening, so no need to lock her up as a criminal just yet.

Southender - 2014-10-06 3:40 PM

Would it be a " technicality " if she caused an accident and killed someone and then found out she wasn`t insured and her driving licence had expired ?

I don't think you have read all the post's corrrectly. She is entitled to drive until such time as the DVLA advise that she can not. Just because the license has not been sent to her, as long as they or a doctor have NOT said she cannot drive , then she can. Read post correctly from people who have had the experience! I HAVE

PJay

PS Get off your high horse. You may be in the same situation one day

Guest Had Enough

Be very careful with this Southender bloke. There's a good chance he's a troll from you know where. *-)

Just do a search on some of his previous contributions, most of which are very troll-like and designed to stir things up. :-(

Just like the one in this thread. :-S

PJay - 2014-10-06 5:45 PM

Southender - 2014-10-06 3:40 PM

I don't think you have read all the post's corrrectly. She is entitled to drive until such time as the DVLA advise that she can not. Just because the license has not been sent to her, as long as they or a doctor have NOT said she cannot drive , then she can. Read post correctly from people who have had the experience! I HAVE

PJay

PS Get off your high horse. You may be in the same situation one day

Before you start flinging accusations go back and look at the original post.

Her licence has EXPIRED the DVLA have NOT granted a renewal yet.

No licence means no driving or is it different on your planet ?

Had Enough - 2014-10-06 6:07 PM

Be very careful with this Southender bloke. There's a good chance he's a troll from you know where. *-)

Just do a search on some of his previous contributions, most of which are very troll-like and designed to stir things up. :-(

Just like the one in this thread. :-S

I would have expected better from you.

All the shyte that this lot give you just for having an opinion.

BTW where is " from you know where " ?

Southender - 2014-10-06 6:16 PM

I'd suggest you take a bit of your own advice ;-)

I note that the Gov.UK link that I've posted above may not open at the appropriate place, but, under "Before You Start", there is the following wording:

Driving while DVLA has your licence

You can drive while your licence is being renewed if you meet all the following conditions:

- DVLA has your valid application which is less than 1 year old

- you’ve held a licence from Great Britain, the European Union or a country where you can change a non-British driving licence for a British licence

- your doctor or consultant says you can keep driving

- you’re not disqualified from driving

- you follow any specific conditions attached to your licence

- your licence hasn’t been taken away for a medical reason (or because you broke the medical conditions of your licence)

Given the OP, it seems quite possible (I would say probable) that all the above conditions have been met, in which case the S-I-L's stance would be entirely justified.

Robinhood - 2014-10-06 6:35 PM

Southender - 2014-10-06 6:16 PM

I'd suggest you take a bit of your own advice ;-)

I note that the Gov.UK link that I've posted above may not open at the appropriate place, but, under "Before You Start", there is the following wording:

Driving while DVLA has your licence

You can drive while your licence is being renewed if you meet all the following conditions:

- DVLA has your valid application which is less than 1 year old

- you’ve held a licence from Great Britain, the European Union or a country where you can change a non-British driving licence for a British licence

- your doctor or consultant says you can keep driving

- you’re not disqualified from driving

- you follow any specific conditions attached to your licence

- your licence hasn’t been taken away for a medical reason (or because you broke the medical conditions of your licence)

Given the OP, it seems quite possible (I would say probable) that all the above conditions have been met, in which case the S-I-L's stance would be entirely justified.

So, once your licence has expired it OK to continue driving ?

I think NOT !

Southender - 2014-10-06 7:24 PM

So, once your licence has expired it OK to continue driving ?

I think NOT !

...you may think what you want - I prefer to follow the official advice.

Driving after your license has been revoked would be another matter, but (as is obvious from the wording above), if you have applied for renewal, and meet the conditions set out, then if your previous licence has expired, you may still drive whilst you await the issue of the renewed one..

(BTW, I'm considering claiming under your guarantee ;-) )

Rayjsj - 2014-10-06 7:34 PM

the Guarantee below has proved to be invalid.

Took me a minute to work that one out, but you seem to be right :D

Yes you can drive for up to a year with out a licence if it's DVLA holding things up, over the last few years a similar 'rule' has applied to FAC holders where the Police have held up renewals.

Archived