Renault

fred22

Hi,

Van and CB conversions on the Renault base seem to fetch less money than with other bases. Especially the older ones(Early 90's)

Is there any reason for this, poor gearboxes and lack of power were two of the things mentioned to me.

Any one got any experience with this running gear?

fred22 - 2014-10-07 2:49 PM

Hi,

Van and CB conversions on the Renault base seem to fetch less money than with other bases. Especially the older ones(Early 90's)

Is there any reason for this, poor gearboxes and lack of power were two of the things mentioned to me.

I'm not sure how relevant it is, but in the top 100 UK cars reliability index the Renault Laguna comes bottom of the list, that wouldn't inspire me with confidence with any of their products, besides it's the French equivalent of British Leyland, and will all know about their products.

plus the front end of their vans are hideous

Joe90 - 2014-10-07 10:32 PM

fred22 - 2014-10-07 2:49 PM

Hi,

I'm not sure how relevant it is, but in the top 100 UK cars reliability index the Renault Laguna comes bottom of the list, that wouldn't inspire me with confidence with any of their products, besides it's the French equivalent of British Leyland, and will all know about their products.

plus the front end of their vans are hideous

I was under the impression that the Renault Master is constructed within the Renault Commercials facility, quite separate from the "Cars" production facility and with necessarily higher quality standards? Perhaps a more valid comparison would be to assess them against other commercial vehicles rather than the car reliability index?

My own experience is with a 2009 2.5 L 120DCi Quickshift 6, LWB, Devon Provence, bought new and run for 4 years, 14,000 miles. No problems apart from a defunct windscreen washer pump, plenty of power and whilst the Quickshift was more of a slowshift, it all worked well.

Had to change to a CB for personal domestic reasons and find the X250 engine to be quieter and smoother.

Hideous front end? It's a van, get over it and look at the inside.

Cheers

I thought Fred(the OP)was really after feedback about early '90s stuff though..so I would take that to mean the early (Mk 1?)traffics and/or the quite futuristic looking, original *Master....

(*We used to fit them out as ambulances and even back then, as they seemed huge, I fancied converting one into a camper'...)

I worked with a chap(late '90s?)who had a Traffic camper' and I seem to recall him saying it had a comically underpowered engine..although I've no idea whether it was the petrol or diesel. Going by their "era", I can't imagine either of them being overly punchy..

Like most commercials they weren't really designed to last 25-30 years, so many would be rotten,worn out by now...you certainly don't see many early Masters on the roads(..of cause they may be everywhere on the Continent, I wouldn't know.. ;-))

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Trafic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Master

I liked our '08 150DCi Master, it felt more robust than our previous X250, although it did feel slightly "cruder" and more van-like (or less car-like, which ever way you want to look at it).

Archived