ACSI app.

nosbod

Hello everybody from a newbie. This summer we had a marvelous time touring Europe in our newly acquired motorhome that is until I started using the ACSI app. Out of 6 sites 2 had completely the wrong coordinates and another was closed a week early , most annoying after a 3 hour trip through Tuscany and no other site within a reasonable distance.

This has been compounded by the fact that having contacted ACSI they have not bothered to acknowledge me to offer any explanation . Be warned !

Regards

John

Not sure which SatNav you use but I use Navfree on my tablet, Nexus 7. I first use the ACSI site to look for a site. I put the site name into Navfree and then get a route from that. I should be able to enter the coordinates but have not mastered that yet. Unfortunately this does not help if the site is closed and you could only overcome that with a phone call in advance.

I would doubt if you will get any response from ACSI but you never no.

Must admit I find the ACSI use very good but check first with site as you can sometimes get a cheaper rate.

Never used the ASCI app because my mobile is not smart enough................ but I do use the free POI files from ASCI which tie up nicely with the Guide books so you can select a site near where you are on your sat-nag and then look it up in the book using the page number derived from the POI info, I would never use a smart phone in stead of a true SAT nag I understand smart phones rely on the triangulation from the nearest transmitters to achieve position rather than from the satellites in the sky and if phone coverage is sketchy you will lose signal and thus position.

OK so I'm a total Luddite..................:-)

Some are, most aren't. There is a backlog of site data for which the site coordinates were set from a pitch on the site, rather than from the site entrance, or even better from a turning leading directly to the site. ACSI seem gradually to be eliminating the pitch reference variety, but some are still dodgy.

The best strategy is to check the coordinates of sites you think you may use on Google Earth, and preferably Google Streets. You can then see where the entrance is, and enter the correct coordinates into the sat-nav. That should get you to within about two metres of the entrance. If you can't then see it, it is either very foggy, or you shouldn't be driving! :-) The technology is brilliant, but it ain't foolproof. It just pays to check, and to always have a plan B.

No sniggering please, but when I first used my Garmin to input coordinates, for an ACSI site as it happens, I wasn't aware there were different formats, so I just put in the numbers as best I could.

Caused not a little confusion till I found out.??

PS, why on my tablet do the emoticons just appear as question marks?

(That last one WAS a question mark)

David Dwight - 2014-10-09 9:08 PM

I downloaded the ACIS app on my tablet, and have used it over the last 5 weeks and had no problems with it at all. I have also been putting the coordinates into a garmin and again no problems, yes you do need to know how to load the correct format.

Had you to purchase App separately or were you able to log on with existing membership?

Archived