faultless new motorhome?

mids

I did once - 11 years ago!

I bought a brand new A/S Symbol in late 2004 and it was perfect on delivery with no faults at all in the short period that I owned it before trading back to an almost new A/S Nuevo coachbuilt - which also behaved totally fault free for the 18 months that I had it.

At the time circumstances meant that I got it vat free - so I even made a very small profit after 9 months use!

Those were the days eh!!!

No.but on the two new ones we have purchased one Rapido and one AutoTrail the faults have been very minor and quickly fixed. Motorhomes are complex vehicles more or less hand built in a great varity of types sizes specification and layouts. You may have been unlucky in the faults you have encountered. Let's hope they are quickly and effectively put right.

We are shortly changing to an Autosleeper van conversion. If by some mirical it is fault free I'll let you know.

Tracker - 2014-10-08 10:09 PM

I did once - 11 years ago!

I bought a brand new A/S Symbol in late 2004 and it was perfect on delivery with no faults at all in the short period that I owned it before trading back to an almost new A/S Nuevo coachbuilt - which also behaved totally fault free for the 18 months that I had it.

At the time circumstances meant that I got it vat free - so I even made a very small profit after 9 months use!

Those were the days eh!!!

Good to hear that given we are about to order an AS

I bought a new motorhome from Vantage in May this year (a Neo) and have covered about 2,500 miles so far on numerous short trips in the UK plus 2 weeks in France.

Absolutely nothing has gone wrong, broken or fallen off my Vantage Neo so far, either on the van itself or the conversion work by Vantage. I bought the van because I was impressed by the build quality compared to other vans I inspected and Vantage have not let me down so I am pleased that my hard earned cash seems to have been well spent. I am particularly impressed by this level of build quality in a motorhome as it is a bespoke hand built vehicle and not an assembly line factory built vehicle such as a car and has to put up with being bounced down all sorts of roads.

As a comparison, I was quite interested in the Autotrail V-Line but of the three examples I saw at different locations, including last year's NEC, all three had obvious faults, including broken handles, drawer runners and edging hanging off and that's before they have even gone into use. I could see that they had lots of show room appeal but I could see past that.

The only slight downside to the Vantage build quality is that it is heavy and I am running right up to the weight limit. It is not a problem for me but it could be for some. Worth it in my opinion.

I see that a lot of continental vans seem to have much higher payloads and I wonder how they manage this and still retain a solid build quality. They must be using lighter methods of construction and the build quality must depend on the quality of the fittings and how well they are screwed together I suppose. Some of the continental vans use sliding tambour doors for the showers for instance but the ones I saw tended to stick in the runners which tended to suggest flimsy build to me and it put me off. What also put me off was lockers made up of plastic frames with no backs or sides and wiring on show everywhere. Look good on the outside though with curved fronts etc. On the Vantage the lockers are solid, with wood all round and no exposed wiring or fixings. You can literally hang off the lockers no problem.

I never really gave payload much attention but I now appreciate that storage space and payload are a very important consideration so it may be necessary to compromise on the type of construction in order to gain more payload. Personally I prefer a really solid type of construction and accept that I need to compromise on payload. We all probably cart around too much anyway, although in saying that I do carry just about every bit of kit you can get but most items are chosen for light weight (but not light cost unfortunately!).

mids - 2014-10-08 9:42 PM

Has anyone purchased a faultless brand new motorhome? We have just bought our first brand new motorhome & are shocked by the lack of quality control on it, with its numerous faults.

If you mean free of visible faults when delivered, as opposed to free from faults while owned, then yes. I have had three. A Burstner T585 bought new from Calais Caravanes in 2005, a Hobby Van bought new through Bundesvan in 2007, and our present Hymer Exis-i 578, also bought new through Bundesvan in 2013. All had been fully tested (gas and water systems etc) before delivery, were clean on delivery, and were completely fault free on delivery. In fact, the Hobby concealed a difficult to detect leak from new, that didn't reveal itself until a particularly spectacular thunderstorm about six months later. Once the source was located, the leak was relatively easily fixed.

I'm afraid you are the victim of either a very poor dealer, a very badly constructed van, or possibly both. I hope you get it all sorted out quickly, efficiently, and thoroughly.

Re Brian's point about faults on delivery I can confirm that we had none on our Vantage. The handover process took from 10.00 to 16.00 with absolutely everything covered in minute detail by one of the build team who was clearly extremely proud of the work they had done. They advised us to stay overnight close by and come back next day if we were unsure about anything or if there was a problem of any kind as there was a chance that, despite all of the attention to detail and quality control, something might be missed. We did stay close by for the first night but there were no issues whatsoever. There might be a difference between buying direct from the manufacturer as opposed to a dealer?

Our first Adria Twin (2006 - the last of the old style Fiats) was completely faultless during the two years that we owned it.

The second Twin (2008) was one of the reverse gear problem vehicles, which was eventually "fixed". The conversion only had one problem, the roof hatches could not be left "on trickle" if it was at all windy - they used to blow open. This was a design fault by the hatch manufactures, but I see that they are still fitted by Adria on their twins, along with many other converters.

The Adria Compact SL that we bought second hand in October 2010 has been completely fault free and I've reached the stage that I've decided that is the perfect van for us and have found nothing else that could improve on it.

The only new MH we have bought, an import via Bundesvan, was entirely up to scratch on delvery.

Only a couple of minor subsequent MH problems (eg dodgy switch, easily replaced myself) subsequently. We did eventually spot a manufacturing fault in that the floor covering was wrinkled up as it was applied with adhesive, but nothing to get upset about. One irritating design/manufacturing issue when the beds collapsed due to using half inch self-tappers into thin ply, but maybe that was compounded by us being too heavy! A Fiat warranty problem was sorted well by Fiat too.

Overall very happy and nine years on we're still keeping the same MH!

We have a very detailed and comprehensive 2hr handover from Premier when we purchased our new Autotrail Scout in 2012. During this they noticed the fridge was not quite working as intended and swapped out the circuit board for one from another van while we waited. Other than that, perfect.

No other faults at the time and only issues since were Fiat issues (touch wood, habitation check next month!)

The previous van was also new (Bustner Nexxo) and equally well prepared (Southdowns)

rolandrat - 2014-10-09 2:30 PM

IH Tio R 3ltr Comfortmatic faultless dream machine. Previous brand new AutoTrail absolute rubbish, a sponge on wheels.

Keep it quiet, otherwise Pelmetman will be along in a minute telling you how many "bargain bangers" you could have bought for the same money !

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2014-10-09 3:03 PM

rolandrat - 2014-10-09 2:30 PM

IH Tio R 3ltr Comfortmatic faultless dream machine. Previous brand new AutoTrail absolute rubbish, a sponge on wheels.

Keep it quiet, otherwise Pelmetman will be along in a minute telling you how many "bargain bangers" you could have bought for the same money !

Not true *-) ............I'd say if you have a faultless dream machine..............keep it B-) .............Or you might buy another sponge on wheels :D .............

About 12 years ago we joined a 6 week "caravan" trip to Mexico with 22 American RV's. People who had paid $250K+ for their RV's regaled us with stories about the huge problems they had initially with defects. Our little demountable on a pickup seemed trouble free [as it was, a small leak on the black valve] compared to them.

Yes and no. we had a new auto trail 66o cheyanne got rid of it after 18months nothing but trouble, lost 12 thousand pounds on replacing it, Adria 660 very good no real problems, changed last Dec; for our nexxo 55 everything fine except the ride, unbearable road noise, 3 new m,homes since 2005, Hopefully never again, Fesspark

Yes there are trouble free Motorhomes,we bought Adria Coral 670sl Supreme 4ton on Fiat chassis 3ltr Nov.2009. 30,000 miles,about 700 camping nights later,all we have fail is gas regulater,toilet fuse blow,high level brake light fail, four new tyres.

We have refurnished the seats in leather,mainly because the foam was flat.i do my own habitation service.

We have a interim base service every two years and on Monday she will have MOT plus big service to include change of brake fluid,timing is I believe chain on this model.

Never been back to any dealer since new,we must be lucky!

mids - 2014-10-08 9:42 PM

Has anyone purchased a faultless brand new motorhome? We have just bought our first brand new motorhome & are shocked by the lack of quality control on it, with its numerous faults.

Dont get me started please... >:-)

Ordered our new vehicle at the NEC last autumn & finaly took delivery the last day of March this year.

Before driving away from the dealers forecourt a missing carpet section & front seat covers had to be sourced & fitted, broken rear door lock also needed replacement

Naturaly this resulted in delays, meaning we were forced to wait an additional three weeks before finaly taking delivery of the supposed 'top of the range' van & then only after extensive modifications to its gas locker enabling our 6kg Gaslow LPG bottle to be installed, after assurance from the NEC salesman (who took advice from the factory) that locker dimensions would facilitate unhindered entry of our cylinder.

Other 'missing' items included the all important handbook & a rear view mirror.

As previously stated the vehicle arrived from the factory minus its matching front seat covers which were later despatched by the maker for final fitting at the dealers workshop & what a diabolical mess they made of the job!.

Plastic seat surrounds & drivers seat belt stalk were deeply gouged & extensively scored during the process of applying ill fitting covers to the cabin compartment of our vehicle.

Both factory quality control & dealer PDI were clearly lacking in our vehicle, a fact that was later componded as we discovered water was not being delivered to the taps, owing IMO to a problematic water pump.

Since taking delivery of our 'new' van, the fibreglass roof has shown signs of severe shape distortion to the extent it now has a concave central area.

Oh!.. Lest I forget, our roof also leaks.

"Faultless brand new motorhome?"..... In my dreams, I wish :-(

Guest Had Enough

My Hobby bought in 2010 was perfect when I picked it up and the next visit to the dealer was for its annual habitation service, which was a year later (but you'd probably worked that out (lol) ).

Since then I've had a a few non-serious odds and ends, all but one of which were not the fault of Hobby but were on the fridge and oven, both were remedied by Dometic or the dealer.

The one Hobby problem was on the water distribution manifold, where a pipe came off, but I found a way of making sure that never happens again. The only real complaint about workmanship was that the fridge needed a bit more support at the front and after help on here that again was easily resolved.

My 'van passed its last habitation service with flying colours, not a trace of damp or any other structural type of problem. And the service was done by an independent engineer of vast experience and who had no reason to be anything but impartial.

I think that dealing with a small firm, where the people in charge own the business might help, Employees don't always have the same incentive to be meticulous as owners do, as their business depends on good customer service.

Archived