Westies2803

Guys, I'm in the process of purchasing my first motor home , could you guys advise what accessories

I need, fresh water bottle, pumps etc, I know absolutely nothing about the motor home world, have wanted

A motor home for many years and finally jumped in and gave a deposit on a 2009 van, which I'm hoping to collect next week. Any help will be much

Appreciated.

Westies2803

You are getting a MH not a caravan. fresh water has a tank and a pump to pump it to taps.

Get the van home befor you buy anything. As it is second hand chances are that the previous owner may have left certain items in it. All we need to take is food and clothes , like on a normal package (maybe) holiday You will need cooking pots, cutlery plates etc, maybe abarbeque? Just get the van and see what you need.

I thing re water , you will need hose pipe . A good idea is to take a full hose and a small (6ft) one also various adapters for all the different type of taps you may encounter

Just enjoy your van and wait and see what you THINK you may want in it

PJay

Westies2803 - 2014-10-10 10:30 AM

Guys, I'm in the process of purchasing my first motor home , could you guys advise what accessories

I need, fresh water bottle, pumps etc, I know absolutely nothing about the motor home world, have wanted

A motor home for many years and finally jumped in and gave a deposit on a 2009 van, which I'm hoping to collect next week. Any help will be much

Appreciated.

Westies2803

As you say you know nothing I would suggest you buy " The Motor Caravan Manual " by John Wickersham. ( available via Amazon )

A very good place to start.

;-)

I don't know how to add links to web pages but if you type Motorhome Packing Checklist into Google you will find a very comprehensive list that covers everything you might need (and a lot I would not bother with) but it is a good start for a newbie. It is in the webpage. ourtour.co.uk

Hi..

Slightly off topic but...

..what you "need" to do when you pick it up, is to make sure that they show you how everything works and to see it ACTUALLY WORKING..and on every power source.

(unfortunately, rather than carring out thorough PDIs, too many dealers seem to have a "..they'll bring it back if there's something wrong with it.." approach).

So it'll need to be hooked up to the mains, a gas bottle connected and have water in it..

As it's a first MH, you won't know what the various appliances/control boards/bells & whistles, should being doing anyway. So it's even more important that you are given a thorough "handover"..

Ask loads of questions..if not sure about something , ask 'em again..Take notes( some even video it)..With the best will in the world you won't ask every question and you will come across things later that you wish you had've asked..just phone/.call in at the dealer.With this in mind I'd recommend spending your first night away in it ,REALLY close to the dealer. That way if there's a problem, you can pop in and make a nuisance of yourself. ;-)

*None of our handovers have been up to much... None of the vans have had water or gas onboard...and the lads "showing" us around, seemed to know less about the workings of the thing than we did :-S

(eg.."..and these are your heating controls..this is gas..this is mains.."...us- "..no it isn't, it's gas only heating.." etc )

Boring I know but at some stage, it would as be worth you getting it weighed at a local weighbridge(checking both axle loadings), just to check how much clobber you'll be able to shoehorn in...as it's not uncommon for Mhs to be or have at least one axle, overloaded.

Don't forget to have fun with it... :-D

I think most above have covered the main points, but I'll bung my two penneth worth in.

See what comes with van, the gas if you're lucky might be refillable, if not you want a cylinder plus a spare, hose for the water, and maybe a collapsible water container for those occasional sites that put the water in an unaccessible place, a hook up lead with Continental adaptors if you want to go on mains, and maybe leveling ramps. you'll need some chemicals if you have a toilet.

Whatever cooking items you think you'll need, like kettle, pots and pans cutlery plates etc, a lighter in case the auto one stops.

Concurr with all of the above two posts, especially Pepe63,

DON'T rely on a fancy bit of paper that say's PDI check completed, we lost an entire summer on one occasion getting faults rectified by a major leisure dealer in Shropshire, faults that were apparent the very first weekend we ventured out. A friend has recently had a similar saga after paying 33k for a second hand van with a different very large east midlands dealer.

Of course you only get to hear of these bad experiences and it might not be representative of everyone's experience, but there seems to be far too many cock ups in this industry, so be on your guard.

I personally will never buy from a dealer again, sooner take my chances buying the same van for thousands less privately.

I doubt very much they will have left you utensils so you will need Pans the more compact the better plates/cups and storage boxes. I don't use glasses (Id only break them) I use plastic as near to the real thing you can find, we also use melamine plates and cups (others hate them) I don't mind them at all they are lighter than pottery (and bounce) !!

Decide whether you are going to have Duvet or Sleeping bags, outside chairs lightweight are better, but any of the other things like Hookup cable levellers I would wait and see as others have said.

You don't have to get everything at once I love shopping for new things for the van, just enjoy it its a great way to travel.

Archived