Lubricating toilet blade

maggyd

maggyd - 2014-10-12 12:31 PM

I know there is a post somewhere about the best thing to use to lubricate the toilet blade. Can I ask again as a search doesn't find it? :-D

Thetford's own dedicated Toilet Blade Lubricant -- only £3.00. for a decent-sized spray can that should last a few years, Maggie -- unless one of the smart-a**ses on here knows any different!

Cheers,

Colin.

P.S. If you have WD40 available, I think that that should 'do the trick' too.

C.

I would not use WD40 which, although it is marvelous stuff, could react with the seal. I would use silicon grease well worked into the seal and with any surplus wiped off. This would maintain the suppleness of the seal. Silicon spray on the blade itself would help. Again, wipe any surplus off.

Personally I would not use olive oil as, and I may be wrong, I felt that an oil based lubricant would risk emulsifying with water and getting all sticky?

I would never use WD40 as I have been told that it can damage the rubber compound seals - and they ain't cheap or convenient to fit.

I use a recycled squeezy spray bottle of Thetford pink and spray it about and that does seem to keep it freely moving for a while.

THETFORD TOILET MAINTENANCE

We advise that when cleaning the seal and blade you use Thetford bathroom cleaner and rinse with water.

NEVER use household cleaners as they could cause irreversible damage to the seal and other parts.

We recommend that you spray the seal economically with Thetford Maintenance Spray which will ensure a smooth operation of the blade, protects the seal and prevents adhesion between the blade and seal. Alternatively olive oil can be used. NO other vegetable oils or vaseline should be used as they may cause problems.

Tracker - 2014-10-12 5:09 PM

Joe90 - 2014-10-12 5:05 PM

Alternatively olive oil can be used. NO other vegetable oils or vaseline should be used as they may cause problems.

Extra Virgin or recycled is that?

Dunno, just repeating what I thought was common advice, mind you I'm surprised that Thetford sell an expensive alternative !

Thanks for all the imput :-) I knew Id read somewhere that WD would damage the rubber ! anyway I think as we have silicone spray that is what we will use, we haven't been away since Aug bank holiday so it looks as if it thinks it can have a rest until next year ;-) but just one more short trip and then it can, we are light night campers Im afraid.

Alternatively olive oil can be used. NO other vegetable oils or vaseline should be used as they may cause problems.

Extra virgin only of course, first cold pressing. :-)

Guest pelmetman

Never lubricated ours with anything :-S ................It does stick when not used for a while, but a regular habit seems to cure the problem :D ..............

I would recommend any good quality toilet blade lubricant to clean and it will do the job. But if in un for seen circumstances, olive oil is also recommended. The toilte balde cleaners are available in stores, so even if you dont carry it on with you all the time it is fine. When you reach the destiantion you can alwys get it from any supermarket.

Brian Kirby - 2014-10-12 6:16 PM

Extra virgin only of course, first cold pressing. :-)

Of course, what else would one use. (lol)

Another point, it's common for the blade to stick through lack of use and lubrication solves the problem.

But, if the blade sticks or does not seal when in regular use, this is often caused by a calcium build up on the blade or seal, easily dissolved with a some white wine vinegar (Chardonnay preferred (lol) ) ordinary white vinegar works but takes a bit longer.

Archived