Fiamma panel Van bike rack has slipped!!

derek500

Halfway through our holiday and have noticed our 200 DJ has slipped down about an inch. This has caused the top bar to buckle the door frame and is now resting on the rear window.

This is the first time we've used our new van with the bikes, so are not pleased.

It appears that the rack has only been clamped on and has not been attached to the door by screws as the installation instructions clearly state.

We're in Tuscany so at a loss what to do.

I will ring the dealer who sold the van and fitted the rack as an extra, tomorrow.

But that doesn't solve our problem as we are in Italy.

I expect, from reading around, that it's the shocks from bumpy roads that's caused it to slip, but why didn't they install as per the instructions?

I looked at one as an engineer and designer and thought no thanks. When we do need to take a bike I'm planning to get a bag for our folding one and travel it inside. If that proves to be inconvenient then I'll have a chassis or towe bar one fitted that swings to one side to allow the rear doors to be opened and change the folding bike for a full size one with a light weight aluminium frame too keep the loading down on the rear of the van.

Same here re suspicion about load capacity of something hanging off a door that's not designed to take the weight. We got a Busbiker fitted - carries up to 90kg (+ 2 would-be asylum seekers ;-) - see my older thread). Not cheap, but very strong and easy to use. Thoroughly recommended.

We had heard lots of reports of buckled doors etc; we bought a tow ball mounted rack while we were in Germany carried it home on the bed and had the T.B fitted at home, it easily lifts off so you can open the back doors, it does tilt as well only the doors don't quiet clear it.

derek500 - 2014-10-12 1:35 PM

Halfway through our holiday and have noticed our 200 DJ has slipped down about an inch. This has caused the top bar to buckle the door frame and is now resting on the rear window.

This is the first time we've used our new van with the bikes, so are not pleased.

It appears that the rack has only been clamped on and has not been attached to the door by screws as the installation instructions clearly state.

We're in Tuscany so at a loss what to do.

I will ring the dealer who sold the van and fitted the rack as an extra, tomorrow.

But that doesn't solve our problem as we are in Italy.

I expect, from reading around, that it's the shocks from bumpy roads that's caused it to slip, but why didn't they install as per the instructions?

If the door is damaged, as I understand from your post, a new door will be required, and will have to be fitted and sprayed to match via a Fiat dealer. It won't be cheap! However, you must do what you can for now to limit the damage. Before you do anything though, take detailed photographs of the rack as it is, and of any visible damage.

Possibly a piece of wood, or similar, could be attached behind the clamp to spread the load on the door edge?

If the rack is unsafe as it is, and you can't make any temporary modification to make it safe, can you find an Italian PVC dealer who can carry out work for you? You will need to get, and keep, receipts for anything anyone else does to the van.

You should immediately let the selling dealer know that the rack has come loose and appears to have damaged the door, but I wouldn't go into details at this stage. You should tell him that you are making temporary repairs (or taking it to a local dealer for repair), and will expect him to reimburse you on your return as well as making permanent repairs. I would suggest you e-mail him about this in preference to phoning. Then there is no likelihood of a dispute over what was said.

He has quite a bill heading his way so, cynic that I am, I wouldn't give him too much opportunity to get his defence in first (allegations of misuse, driving down unmade roads at speed etc).

If you can't make the rack safe, and no-one can help locally, you will have to transport the bikes inside the van and reappraise your plans to accommodate this. If you need to return to UK as a consequence, make sure you log all additional costs, including phone calls etc. They are all part of the dealer's growing bill.

But, finally, a rack that needs screws to be put into a brand new van door? What kind of screw would be used? Rustless? Rustless for how long? What would the screws do to the rust protection system applied to the van? This seems one level of madness to me. Allowing that the rack would appear to impose stresses on the door that the door design can't accommodate, adding screws merely seems to me a way to make a badly designed rack cause even more damage in the long term. It is, as fitted, based on what you say, completely unfit for its purpose.

Final point. Have you confirmed that your bikes are within the load carrying capability of the rack? Hope it all works out for you.

Update

Found a motorhome/Fiamma dealer near Perugia, where we are visiting.

He'd since this happen before.

Anyway, he totally removed the bike rack and the internal panel. 'Panel beated' the door where the top bar had distorted it. The bottom bar's slipping hadn't damaged the door as it has a rubber protector.

He then refitted the rack following Fiamma's instructions using security screws on both the top and bottom bars.

Just under two hour's work and a bill for 60€.

I'm sure the original dealer charged about £150-200 just to clamp it on!!

Update

Anyway, he totally removed the bike rack and the internal panel. 'Panel beated' the door where the top bar had distorted it. The bottom bar's slipping hadn't damaged the door as it has a rubber protector.

He then refitted the rack following Fiamma's instructions using security screws on both the top and bottom bars.

Update

Archived