Problem refilling Gaslow bottle

Suda

We have been to three different LPG garages in both France and UK. and each time we had to give up on filling the bottle as it was taking almost five minutes to.put in a litre of gas.

Has anyone got a suggestion as to the problem please?

Can we assume that it is empty enough to take more, preferably by weight check?

Has it filled OK in the past?

Has anything changed on the system?

Are any valves fully open?

Have you tried banging it on the ground in case the float level 80% cut off is stuck?

Have you asked Gaslow?

Perhaps there is a learning curve for drawing LPG from an autogas pump because I vaguely remember struggling (and nearly giving up) when I first started.

I struggled a bit with fitting the pump nozzle, which in UK rotates through 90 deg or so and then clamps on, with a whoosing noise at the pressurised connection is made. Then you have to press and hold the big button on the pump housing, which runs the pump. (I just pressed it and then let go to start with, which is no good at all, you have to keep it pressed.)

Watch the pump gauge, which should record the volume and price of what's going in. It only takes a few seconds to fill up, maybe a minute for both of my bottles, about 20 litres, at most. It stops automatically when you are full and you cannot overfill. Let go of the button, disconnect (another whoosing noise) and you've finished - apart from paying of course.

Not done it in France yet, although I have got the adapter. Different connector nozzle but otherwise similar I suspect.

Don't give up, you will get the hang of it and it is really easy when you have done so.

Had a problem filling up while in the USA at a gas station and ended up going to a gas depot not a gas station (petrol station))) and got told that as it was hot, the tank was harder to fill. We had to move away from the van a rented VW Westfalia with a fitted under floor tank, so that the man at the gas depot could fill it (health and safety I guess)).This was next day after I had tried and the temp was lower. :-S

We had a faulty filler on our built in Autogas tank and, after 'discussion' with the dealer, had the entire tank changed under warranty since when we have had no problems at all filling in UK France or Spain (using the correct adapter), hot or cold, apart from one pump in Spain where the pump was faulty and one in France where their tank was empty - at least that was what I think the guys said!!

Must confess I can rarely see the point of these types of questions unless the poster has FIRST spoken to the devices manufacturers and drawn a blank..............has he I wonder ?

Joe90 - 2014-10-15 10:55 AM

Must confess I can rarely see the point of these types of questions unless the poster has FIRST spoken to the devices manufacturers and drawn a blank..............has he I wonder ?

Agreed - it would also help if we knew what he/she had already tried and eliminated in a bit more detail!

Joe90 - 2014-10-15 10:55 AM

Too true, I rarely ask questions on here as I always try to find the answer myself like you say first port of call is the supplier or manufacturer.

When you are new at the business of filling LPG bottles even simple aspects of the procedure can be puzzling and using LPG pumps in UK is certainly not inituitive - you have to press and hold the button for example, which didn't occur to me. The instructions on the pump might be poor or missing. And as a newbie you don't think to specify everything in your question on the forum.

We were all newbies once. Let's be polite and patient.

StuartO - 2014-10-16 8:54 AM

When you are new at the business of filling LPG bottles even simple aspects of the procedure can be puzzling and using LPG pumps in UK is certainly not inituitive - you have to press and hold the button for example, which didn't occur to me. The instructions on the pump might be poor or missing. And as a newbie you don't think to specify everything in your question on the forum.

Agreed. The point of forums is to be able to ask a question to hundreds of people who may have had the same problem.

If you're lucky, you might get a quick solution, job done.

If not, then you can go down the other routes.

candapack - 2014-10-16 9:11 AM

StuartO - 2014-10-16 8:54 AM

Agreed. The point of forums is to be able to ask a question to hundreds of people who may have had the same problem.

If you're lucky, you might get a quick solution, job done.

If not, then you can go down the other routes.

It was meant more as an observation than a criticism but perhaps we could have worded it better in hindsight so apologies if any offense was caused.

Certainly the first few gas refills both UK and abroad were a very steep and entertaining learning curve for us too!

I do agree that the members of this forum have a wealth of knowledge and experience and I continue to learn every day.

However that experience is often limited to one event and I still believe that the first ports of call with any issue are the maker, supplier and or fitter who should know their product better than anyone else and if that fails at least the advice they gave and suggested actions can be taken as a starting point in problem solving.

Perhaps considering the nature of LPG and a potential problem that could be very serious not only to the OP but anyone else around any attempt to advise via the internet is a little flawed, I say again talk to the bottle manufacturer, or get the forecourt owner to show and explain the procedure if unsure.

Joe90 - 2014-10-16 10:48 AM

Perhaps considering the nature of LPG and a potential problem that could be very serious not only to the OP but anyone else around any attempt to advise via the internet is a little flawed,.

Absolutely right, and that would have been an excellent response to the OP on this specific issue, rather than what comes across as an all-encompassing "don't ask stuff on here until you've tried the manufacturer".

Toodle pip.

We had a similar very slow filling problem with our gasglow bottles a couple of years back. Tried different filling stations here and in France but all same. So returned to Brownhills who fitted system and who have an lpg pump. They could not get it to fill either, and there it is not self service so nothing to do with user error. They then checked system and determined problem was in bottles, so contacted gaslow who came out to our home and fixed problem by replacing both bottles under warranty, as they had seen this problem before.

So suggest go to somewhere, like Brownhills, where they do the filling to check no problems there. Second return to whoever fitted system and have it checked through. If seems like it is faulty bottles then get onto gaslow for replacement. Hope this helps and you sort it out. We were lucky in that Brownhills wherever proactive on our behalf in dealing with gaslow.

Similar advice I received to unstick my float gauge ( although it didn't )

perhaps they should supply a free hammer with their bottles.

Archived