RFA Argus

clifford60

Hi all, Just watched the departure of this navy ship on route to Africa. Very proud to see our lads and lasses lined up standing to attention as the ropes were released. My only worry is,how many will return or is this just another fools errand instigated by the muppet Cameron and his cronies. Roll on the election.

Instead of taking the opportunity for a political swipe at those in power it would be better to applaud the UK government, and the people involved at the sharp end, for doing more than their fair share to support the supposedly world wide campaign against Ebola.

I consider it to be a far more worthy use of our taxes than some of the excesses of the other lot pre 2010 and no longer do I say 'not in my name' and I wish them God speed and good luck.

When we used to fish out of Falmouth I well recall the impressive bulk of Argus and her predecessor Engadine and, from the waterline deck level of a 32' fishing boat it is BIG.

It also has an interesting history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFA_Argus_%28A135%29

The "British" have always had a tendency to get involved regardless of the outcome.

The "British" have always adopted that 'up front' attitude.

Its what makes the British "British". Now that they cannot claim a country to add to their "Empire" they still meddle with little thought of what follows in later years.

Recent events in the Middle East are classic examples. Its money and prestige. Nowt else.

Guest pelmetman
Will85 - 2014-10-21 7:19 PM

The "British" have always had a tendency to get involved regardless of the outcome.

The "British" have always adopted that 'up front' attitude.

Its what makes the British "British". Now that they cannot claim a country to add to their "Empire" they still meddle with little thought of what follows in later years.

Recent events in the Middle East are classic examples. Its money and prestige. Nowt else.

Wise words Will ;-) ..............

Although I'm whole heartily behind our commitment to this particular crisis ;-)............I feel for the families of those being sent to fight such a unseen enemy :-| ...............in particular Nurse William Pooley who possess more balls than I ever will............and deserves a whole shed load of medals B-)..............

Archived