Al-Ko chassis.

Brian Kirby

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Kirby - 2014-10-21 7:32 PM

On the duration of the warranty, Al-Ko said this was the same as for the converter's warranty. But note that this should not be assumed to equate to the base vehicle warranty, and should not be confused with the water ingress warranty. It refers only to the general warranty from the motorhome manufacturer: usually between one and three years.

At last, this is what I said about three pages back, but the guru's did note agree, glad to see Alko do. Perhaps my post not so stupid after all Lenny. Oh sorry Brian snipped one of your posts again.

rupert123 - 2014-10-21 10:09 PM

On the duration of the warranty, Al-Ko said this was the same as for the converter's warranty. But note that this should not be assumed to equate to the base vehicle warranty, and should not be confused with the water ingress warranty. It refers only to the general warranty from the motorhome manufacturer: usually between one and three years.

At last, this is what I said about three pages back, but the guru's did note agree, glad to see Alko do. Perhaps my post not so stupid after all Lenny. Oh sorry Brian snipped one of your posts again.

After Brian's post, (effectively saying in your case that Al-Ko defer to the Swift warranty) I'd still revert to my original question, which was:

"On the matter of the Swift warranty, I'd be interested in your interpretation of who warrants the Al-Ko chassis - since Swift explicitly say that the base vehicle is warranted by Fiat (is the Al-Ko chassis part of the base vehicle?). If it were considered to be part of the conversion, then the exclusions on the warranty appear to mean you would only get a year's cover from Swift.

Re-reading the warranty, it still appears to me that (except in the unlikely event that Fiat will pick up responsibility) that under the exclusions you would only get a year's cover from Swift.

As a result, the annual service requirements would be irrelevant for purposes of warranty, but still of interest for the peace of mind of most right-thinking people. ;-)

Even if it isn't, as I interpret, a year, they'd probably still have you on the exclusions in the Ts&Cs:

Swift shall not be liable under the SuperSure, Body Shell and Extended Body Shell Warranties for any defect related to or arising from the following:............

....Normal deterioration, corrosion, intrusion of foreign or harmful bodies, lack of servicing or negligence of any person other than Swift which causes stoppage of or impairment to the function of any component of the motorhome;

As has been the main theme of this thread from the start, rather than risk any issue, either mechanical or warranty, it's simply best to make sure that it is done properly, and to schedule.

Now you're being obtuse, Henry! :-) I'm all in favor of snips if they reduce the length of posts to what the poster is responding to. My quarrel with your earlier snip was that you altered the meaning of what I had originally written to suit your own agenda. Naughty, IMO!

However, because of your snip, I'm still not sure whether you have fully taken on what I said about the importance of the maintenance requirement, or not. To keep the warranty in force, Al-Ko's maintenance schedule must be adhered to. If it hasn't been greased as required, the warranty will be voided. (This will be equally true whoever takes responsibility for any warranty claims.) You countered that your van goes back to your Swift dealer for all maintenance (which I assume includes base vehicle maintenance), and if the greasing is not done you will merely lay it at their door. That is fine where the dealer provides a one-stop shop. But, it is only fine under those circumstances.

Where the motorhome dealer only provides habitation servicing, the base vehicle will have to be serviced by a separate workshop. Some dealers may run the vehicle over to the nearest Fiat etc garage, but many do not, besides which many owners prefer to deal direct with the base vehicle servicing at places of their own choosing. Then, ensuring that the chassis gets greased by one or other falls to the owner.

As I said before, I'm not writing these posts for the sole benefit of Swift owners, nor for those who do as you do, but for anyone who has a van with an Al-Ko chassis who may have missed the point about chassis greasing. Can we just leave it at that? I'm not interested in points scoring.

Thanks for the updates Brian. Al ko responded similarly to me and I put it to my Nephew. Some may recall he's a Peugeot/Citroën/Fiat Technician. He said no problem to do the greasing, 10 mins of a job max.

I enquired with my dealer and received no response, I suspect because they're going through name changes, (Campbells to Preston). Their email system is, err, not fit for purpose.

I've printed the warranty schedule element from the al ko pdf.

Martyn

You just don't get it Henry, as Brian points out above your post is stupid, and as I've said before it is very unlikely the axle will fail within the short warranty period but if fails outside the warranty period due to you not ensuring it has been greased it will cost you at least a couple of grand.

It's allvery well saying My dealer should have done it it's down to them they should know what they are doing is a very naive attitude when it is a well know fact that dealers for one reason or another often miss this item on a service.

This is the first time I have had an Al-Ko chassis but I have been well aware of the problem for years and for my own peace of mind I will make sure the job gets done correctly.

....and just to throw another pebble into the pond...... ;-)

Whilst Al-Ko's response to Brian might infer that Swift owners should approach Swift for warranty issues, the (current) warranty Ts&Cs appear to simply direct them back (at least in the first instance) to Al-Ko.

:-S

Alko.JPG.ecc1c4eace59d34e28213d3fcf01649b.JPG

StuartO - 2014-10-22 9:39 AM

lennyhb - 2014-10-22 8:24 AM

... your post is stupid ....

You don't need to descend to posting that sort of thing do you Lenny?

Why don't you read all the posts in the Thread properly Stuart, you have done exactly what Henry does sniped it and taken it out of context.

Also, it is well known that Henry & I have a few jibes at each other it's part of the fun of the Forum.

Brian Kirby - 2014-10-21 11:52 PM

Now you're being obtuse, Henry! :-) I'm all in favor of snips if they reduce the length of posts to what the poster is responding to. My quarrel with your earlier snip was that you altered the meaning of what I had originally written to suit your own agenda. Naughty, IMO!

However, because of your snip, I'm still not sure whether you have fully taken on what I said about the importance of the maintenance requirement, or not. To keep the warranty in force, Al-Ko's maintenance schedule must be adhered to. If it hasn't been greased as required, the warranty will be voided. (This will be equally true whoever takes responsibility for any warranty claims.) You countered that your van goes back to your Swift dealer for all maintenance (which I assume includes base vehicle maintenance), and if the greasing is not done you will merely lay it at their door. That is fine where the dealer provides a one-stop shop. But, it is only fine under those circumstances.

Where the motorhome dealer only provides habitation servicing, the base vehicle will have to be serviced by a separate workshop. Some dealers may run the vehicle over to the nearest Fiat etc garage, but many do not, besides which many owners prefer to deal direct with the base vehicle servicing at places of their own choosing. Then, ensuring that the chassis gets greased by one or other falls to the owner.

As I said before, I'm not writing these posts for the sole benefit of Swift owners, nor for those who do as you do, but for anyone who has a van with an Al-Ko chassis who may have missed the point about chassis greasing. Can we just leave it at that? I'm not interested in points scoring.

Really, they why do you keep trying to score them. As far as I know you have no expertise at all in the motor trade yet you constantly try and give the impression that you are the great motorhome guru. Anyone can look up stuff on the internet, we all do, but good practical years of experience, exactly what is yours Brian perhaps you can enlighten us. You may fool others but not me, you have merely confirmed what I told you some pages back on this thread, it does not just apply to Swift by the way. I agree with one point, lets just leave it at that.

lennyhb - 2014-10-22 8:24 AM

You just don't get it Henry, as Brian points out above your post is stupid, and as I've said before it is very unlikely the axle will fail within the short warranty period but if fails outside the warranty period due to you not ensuring it has been greased it will cost you at least a couple of grand.

It's allvery well saying My dealer should have done it it's down to them they should know what they are doing is a very naive attitude when it is a well know fact that dealers for one reason or another often miss this item on a service.

This is the first time I have had an Al-Ko chassis but I have been well aware of the problem for years and for my own peace of mind I will make sure the job gets done correctly.

No Lenny it is you that does not seem to 'get it'. Go back and read the original post on this thread, it is all about the Alko warranty and following the maintenance schedule, not what could happen years down the line. Brian changed track a bit when he realised I was correct at the warranty implications. Anyway believe whatever you choose Having made my point I will retire from this thread.

Guest Had Enough
lennyhb - 2014-10-22 12:36 PM

Had Enough - 2014-10-22 12:18 PM

My new motorhome is on a Mercedes so I won't have all the trouble that you lot are having with your cheap chassis. ;-)

Some of the better Mercedes conversions use an Al-Ko chassis. :D :D

Only for poor people who have to buy a C Class car or a cheaper motorhome. (lol) ;-)

Frank, does this mean I won't have to feel guilty for not waving back from my 6m AlKo Hymer to the dismissive waft of an arm in a gigantic Merc based Hymer coming the other way along the Woodhead Pass? I should think the beam from your face will be brighter than the sun itself.

I shall, of course, remain humble as befitting my destitute state!

Guest Had Enough
Brock - 2014-10-22 1:38 PM

Frank, does this mean I won't have to feel guilty for not waving back from my 6m AlKo Hymer to the dismissive waft of an arm in a gigantic Merc based Hymer coming the other way along the Woodhead Pass? I should think the beam from your face will be brighter than the sun itself.

You won't have a problem as I'm one of the intelligent ones who knows that waving is a pointless and outdated practice. And I never even look at poor people in case they want to start up a conversation with me.

I will smile in the general direction of drivers who can only afford six metre Alko chassis motorhomes, but it will be more in pity than anything else. ;-)

Apart from which, I'll probably be too scared to take it over Woodhead until I've driven it a few times. ;-)

Just feel smug having filled and emptied your onboard tanks at a service point to last you the week,

whilst watching him struggle with slop buckets and watering cans and endless journeys dealing with his on a daily basis. >:-)

Had Enough - 2014-10-22 2:03 PM

I will smile in the general direction of drivers who can only afford six metre Alko chassis motorhomes, but it will be more in pity than anything else. ;-)

Cheers Frank, looking forward to your wave. You'll have plenty of notice with my 7.45m heading towards you *-)

Martyn

You really wouldn't want to meet him on a bend, Have you seen the way those Mec chassis roll on their squishy springs. The top of his van will gouge a rut along your van with his roof while all four wheels are still on his side of the white line.

You may be lucky he may only be doing 5mph due to feeling sick on that bouncy Merc suspension. (lol)

lennyhb - 2014-10-22 3:13 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You really wouldn't want to meet him on a bend, Have you seen the way those Mec chassis roll on their squishy springs. The top of his van will gouge a rut along your van with his roof while all four wheels are still on his side of the white line.

You may be lucky he may only be doing 5mph due to feeling sick on that bouncy Merc suspension. (lol)

Although the Merc might be a little softer on the suspension, certainly more than the Fiat he'll spend less time at the dentists having his fillings replaced.

rolandrat - 2014-10-22 3:31 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although the Merc might be a little softer on the suspension, certainly more than the Fiat he'll spend less time at the dentists having his fillings replaced.

Fillings.............don't you mean dentures. >:-)

rolandrat - 2014-10-22 3:31 PM

Not with the Goldschmitt springs and the Al-Ko AMC chassis lovely ride. (lol)

Archived