vented water tank or not

mids

StuartO - 2014-10-23 8:28 AM

Joe90 - 2014-10-22 7:09 PM

There are lots of experts on here, and lots of Egoism, and not just Lenny, even I'm an expert except when I'm wrong. :D

If someone who puts himself about as a sort of expert also shows himself to be incapable of admitting error and to be willing to continue to mislead others rather than back down, surely he destroys his credibility as any sort of worthwhie expert.

Lenny must either have been incredibky stupid to continue misunderstanding the issue when it was flagged up to him or so incredibly arrogant and stubborn as to think other people will not see the arrogance and stubborness he has been displaying.

Either way I'm afraid by his performance on this thread he has destroyed his credibility in my eyes.

Must stop banging on about this, sorry if I have said too much.

Well Stuart you really have exceeded yourself with your selective reading, I have noticed on this thread and other threads that you selectively read posts reading only what you want to read.

I have NEVER put myself forward as an expert. On this thread I have not said you should only travel with 20Lt I have just told you what Hymer state and if you bothered to read the posts correctly you will also see that I myself travel with a full tank. On another post you accuse me of calling someone stupid something I have NEVER done, your selective reading again, what I actually said was what they had written was stupid which is not the same as calling someone stupid.

You don't appear to be able to take a joke either, I posted the clip from Hymer's brochure to wind you & Frank up - it worked. (lol)

At the end of the day a forum is internet entertainment where people meet to exchange views and advice, anything you read on the net the facts should be checked, a classic example "Wikipedia" a lot of people reading articles on there believe them to be true and in a lot of cases they are but it is an open source program where anyone can go on and alter the contents of a page so you need to check your facts.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Had Enough
lennyhb - 2014-10-24 2:07 PM

You don't appear to be able to take a joke either, I posted the clip from Hymer's brochure to wind you & Frank up - it worked. (lol)

Of course you did. ;-) No one would think for one minute that you posted it to try to reinforce the silly idea that you floated earlier, suggesting that Hymer recommended that we only drive with 20 litres in the fresh water tank! :D

Clearly, it was just one big joke from beginning to end. ;-) I'm sure that everyone understands that, now that you've explained. (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Joe90 - 2014-10-24 6:56 PM

Your posts are beginning to resemble Pelmetmans, with all that overuse of emoticons. ;-)

I have an acolyte :D ............

(lol) (lol) (lol)

Hymer Exsis Owners Manual, English, Chapter 10: Sanitary Fittings, p 126.

"For driving safety and regulatory reasons, when the vehicle is in motion the fill quantity must be reduced to approximately 20 litres. It the water is drained using the safaty drainage handle (see section 10.2.3), a residual quantity of approximately 20 litres will remain in the tank."

So, the statement is there, but what the regulatory reasons are is not stated.

The manual is, however, inconsistent as to what constitutes payload, in stating that this is to be calculated (as normal) by subtracting MIRO from MAM. Since payload seems strictly only relevant to a vehicle when driven, the statement regarding carrying only 20 litres seems contradictory. What I think they mean is that having dumped all but 20 litres of water, and then used the extra 80kg released as payload, you can't subsequently fill the water tank. Whatever. I travel with the full 100 litres on board, and am comfortably below the MAM for our van.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2014-10-24 7:16 PM

Hymer Exsis Owners Manual, English, Chapter 10: Sanitary Fittings, p 126.

"For driving safety and regulatory reasons, when the vehicle is in motion the fill quantity must be reduced to approximately 20 litres. It the water is drained using the safaty drainage handle (see section 10.2.3), a residual quantity of approximately 20 litres will remain in the tank."

So, the statement is there, but what the regulatory reasons are is not stated.

The manual is, however, inconsistent as to what constitutes payload, in stating that this is to be calculated (as normal) by subtracting MIRO from MAM. Since payload seems strictly only relevant to a vehicle when driven, the statement regarding carrying only 20 litres seems contradictory. What I think they mean is that having dumped all but 20 litres of water, and then used the extra 80kg released as payload, you can't subsequently fill the water tank. Whatever. I travel with the full 100 litres on board, and am comfortably below the MAM for our van.

Maybe they have doubts about their tank supplier, and are aware of the effects of a free flood in a moving vessel 8-) ...............

It could perhaps be a weight transfer issue under braking or cornering, perhaps because of limited or lack of baffling in a wide and shallow or pecuiar shaped tank. (Ex-naval minds thinking alike Pelmetman?)

It might be a restriction common to other contemporary Hymer models I suppose. It seems odd for Hymer to restort to that sort of thing as an expedient of design because it does impose a significant operating penalty.

I won't engage with Lenny's latest attempt at self-justification, except to say that it reminds me of the saying "If you talk sense to fool, he calls you a fool".

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2014-10-24 9:42 PM

It could perhaps be a weight transfer issue under braking or cornering, perhaps because of limited or lack of baffling in a wide and shallow or pecuiar shaped tank. (Ex-naval minds thinking alike Pelmetman?)

If that's the case then I fear for you folk with new campers :-S .............If the technology in new vans is so advanced then surely it can compute for a shifting load 8-) .............

I'd rather rely on my own lackluster abilities :D .................

lennyhb - 2014-10-25 9:48 AM

sshortcircuit - 2014-10-24 10:36 PM

I use a 9lt watering can to keep topping up and never have any problems.

I

How do you cope if you can not get any water for 2 or 3 days or the nearest tap is 10 miles away?

What? On exactly the same bases as you would.

sshortcircuit - 2014-10-25 9:54 AM

lennyhb - 2014-10-25 9:48 AM

sshortcircuit - 2014-10-24 10:36 PM

I use a 9lt watering can to keep topping up and never have any problems.

I

How do you cope if you can not get any water for 2 or 3 days or the nearest tap is 10 miles away?

What? On exactly the same bases as you would.

Travel with a full tank plus two 20 Lt containers in the garage.

Archived