vented water tank or not

mids

Hi anyone kniw if my elddis autoquest has a vented water tank , how would I know? Want to buy a water connector cap which shuts water off when tank full, care-van sells two types of caps.new to motorhoming and overfilled tank twice water gushing out will this damage tank? This cap would slove problem.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All tanks are vented to one degree or another otherwise water would not flow out when pumped and the vacuum would try to collapse the tank.

This venting usually also doubles as the tank overflow and for fifty years I have been quite happy to fill my water tank until water flows out of the both the filler orifice and the overflow and on the basis that if it works why try to fix it this is how I will continue!

That said and whilst I am unfamiliar with the device, I can maybe see an advantage of a filler that shuts the water off when it backs up the filler neck and causes enough back pressure to activate a shut off valve in as much as it might save water and avoid puddles and splashed feet in theory.

However a blocked hose full of mains pressure water will have to go somewhere and there may well be every risk that it will split the hose or blow a connection or the connector off the tap.

Someone else may come along that has one and can comment from experience but it seems to me like yet another gadget designed to solve a problem that for most people does not exist!!

Guest Had Enough

It's a big problem for single travellers using certain kinds of taps. On occasions I've tried to fill up at a borne using one of those silly taps where you have to press a button and it runs for half a minute or so. You need to stay at the tap so can't hold in the end of the hose into the filler point on the 'van, hence it keeps dropping out.

I bought one of these caps that bayonets into the water inlet and to which you attach the end of the hose using a Hozelock type of push-on connector.

No more worrying about the hose slipping out and having to keep running back to shove it in again.

I don't need it very often but when I do it's very useful and saves a load of frustrating hassle.

I assume you need the vented cap if your tank has the vent/overflow pipe coming back to the inlet, if the tank has a separate vent/overflow the non vented one would do the job.

I don't use them all my hoses have hose connectors on both ends so I can link the hoses together, I find with the connector on the hose it is a light push fit in the inlet pipe, never had it blow out yet even on high pressure supplies.

mids - 2014-10-21 10:18 PM

http://www.care-avan.co.uk/motorhome-accessories.html

checkout above webstie

Mids,

Quote from your link...

"The water cap does not automatically shut the water off when the tank is full..."

So this will not be the answer to your supposed problem.

IMO an expensive way to hold the end of the hose in the filler aperture.

Keith.

I use a hanging basket watering lance to poke into my water re-filling hole; it hangs there quite happily and has an adjustment for the flow rate. If I want to leave it unattended I set the flow to slow and let it get on with it.

Incidentally my Hymer has a tank vent which has a tap on it, so it can be closed off. The vent connection to the tank is positioned so that it overflows when the tank is only 75% full, which is the limit (presumably the weight limit) for travelling with.

The existance of this vent was missed out of the delivery handover so it was some months before I discovered that the valve even existed. Not only could I not fill the tank above 75% but when we travelled anywhere the level dropped to below 50% during the journey.

It's not as daft as it might sound having a valve of this sort because it does allow you to fill up to 100% on site and providing you remeber to tun it off after filling before a journey, allows you to hang on to your 75% while travelling.

1219524831_WateringLance.jpg.897e4d7d09d7e63d3eb71a6ed0f69f65.jpg

StuartO - 2014-10-22 9:56 AM

I use a hanging basket watering lance to poke into my water re-filling hole; it hangs there quite happily and has an adjustment for the flow rate. If I want to leave it unattended I set the flow to slow and let it get on with it.

Incidentally my Hymer has a tank vent which has a tap on it, so it can be closed off. The vent connection to the tank is positioned so that it overflows when the tank is only 75% full, which is the limit (presumably the weight limit) for travelling with.

The existance of this vent was missed out of the delivery handover so it was some months before I discovered that the valve even existed. Not only could I not fill the tank above 75% but when we travelled anywhere the level dropped to below 50% during the journey.

It's not as daft as it might sound having a valve of this sort because it does allow you to fill up to 100% on site and providing you remeber to tun it off after filling before a journey, allows you to hang on to your 75% while travelling.

So how long would it take to fill my 140 litre tank using a hanging basket lance ?

or how long would I have to wait behind you. :-S

For all Hymer's as far as I'm aware, the travelling recommendations is 20 Lt regardless of the size of the tank.

Having said that we always travel with 10% water our tank has a pipe near the top of the tank that vents under the van it's open all the time, never noticed any water loss when traveling.

Joe90 - 2014-10-22 10:02 AM

So how long would it take to fill my 140 litre tank using a hanging basket lance ?

If you take the nozzle off the end water should flow OK?

It is easy enough to make a crude but effective connector out of a 3" approx disc of plywood or thick plastic.

Drill a hole in the centre large enough for a short length of hose to tightly pass though and long enough to reach as far inside the filler neck as you wish, but about 4" is ample.

Measure the width apart of the slots in the filler neck into which the locking cap fits prior to turning to lock. Drill holes and fit two small bolts through the disc so that the bolt heads just fit into the two slots and turn to hold the gizmo in place against the rim.

The fiddly bit is getting it just right by using two nuts to lock the bolts in place through the disc and adjusting them to stay in place without being too tight when turned through 90 degrees.

Fit a hozelock type snap on connector to the hose on the outside of the disc to which you can plug in and remove your filler hose.

Cost nothing and works well for me as I too always do the filling etc. without an assistant!

Simples!

malc d - 2014-10-22 10:29 AM

We never travel with more than half a tank of fresh water - why carry extra unnecessary weight ?

Because we never know where we will be stopping next and whether there will be any water available - so our tank is kept as full as possible!!

Also do I really want to faff about filling with water as soon as we arrive? Nah - not really!!

Different methods for different needs!

We never travel with more than half a tank of fresh water - why carry extra unnecessary weight ?

;-)

It improves the ride comfort in our van. ;-)

and empty or full doesn't seem to make a jot of difference on fuel consumption.

Joe90 - 2014-10-22 10:44 AM

;-)

It improves the ride comfort in our van. ;-)

and empty or full doesn't seem to make a jot of difference on fuel consumption.

I like to be kind to my vans' suspension.

;-)

Tracker - 2014-10-22 10:43 AM

Because we never know where we will be stopping next and whether there will be any water available - so our tank is kept as full as possible!!

Also do I really want to faff about filling with water as soon as we arrive? Nah - not really!!

Agreed, also often have 2 x 20Lt containers full in the garage.

lennyhb - 2014-10-22 11:12 AM

Tracker - 2014-10-22 10:43 AM

I also agree that if you don't know where you will end up - a full tank is ' necessary ' ( i.e a good idea ).

But if you are heading for a site - then a full tank is not necessary.

;-)

lennyhb - 2014-10-22 11:12 AM

Now that is just greedy - easier not to take a shower than faff about transferring water from tank to tank!

Perhaps Joe could borrow them to help his ride a bit more!

Guest Had Enough
lennyhb - 2014-10-22 10:13 AM

For all Hymer's as far as I'm aware, the travelling recommendations is 20 Lt regardless of the size of the tank.

Having said that we always travel with 10% water our tank has a pipe near the top of the tank that vents under the van it's open all the time, never noticed any water loss when traveling.

I've never heard of Hymer recommending that you only travel with 20% of your water capacity. 20% is the figure used when calculating available payload.

I don't think that you actually travel with only 10% of the capacity. Was that supposed to be 100%?

I too always travel with a full tank. We never book and prefer the security of knowing that we have plenty of water. The extra weight is negligible in affecting fuel consumption.

....hey, chill!

I read this advice recently, maybe you could adopt it.

Joe90 - 2014-09-24 12:11 PM

There's a simple solution, don't use Aires, especially if you find it so irksome to wait to do the very thing you want to do, or ask them to move out of your way saying you are in a hurry, I'm sure that request would result in a positive response, I sometimes use the same tactic in a supermarket checkout queue !

......oh

:D

Had Enough - 2014-10-22 12:08 PM

lennyhb - 2014-10-22 10:13 AM

I've never heard of Hymer recommending that you only travel with 20% of your water capacity. 20% is the figure used when calculating available payload.

I don't think that you actually travel with only 10% of the capacity. Was that supposed to be 100%?

I too always travel with a full tank. We never book and prefer the security of knowing that we have plenty of water. The extra weight is negligible in affecting fuel consumption.

Yep typo was meant to be 100%.

Although the 20Lt is the amount Hymer use to calculate payload they refer to it as Travel Allowance.

Robinhood - 2014-10-22 12:23 PM

....hey, chill!

I read this advice recently, maybe you could adopt it.

Joe90 - 2014-09-24 12:11 PM

There's a simple solution, don't use Aires, especially if you find it so irksome to wait to do the very thing you want to do, or ask them to move out of your way saying you are in a hurry, I'm sure that request would result in a positive response, I sometimes use the same tactic in a supermarket checkout queue !

......oh

:D

Oh do come on, filling a water tank with a hanging basket lance is simply taking the proverbial if someone was waiting to use a service point, can't believe anyone could be so stupid as to not acknowledge that or make the distinction that my comment was aimed at Hadenough that was simply moaning about having to queue, not because of some idiot using a watering can, or hanging basket lance making him wait.

mids - 2014-10-21 10:49 PM

Hi anyone kniw if my elddis autoquest has a vented water tank , how would I know? .

If your filler is the standard type there should be a vent tube (part of the moulding the 1cm bit ) at the rear inside the van .Mine has a tube attached and is routed up behind the bench seat to vent the tank. See the pic. below

fiamma_water_filler_cap_dims__40194.1405393440_1280_1280.jpg.86940af540bb0f46eeba8d70e874a816.jpg

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2014-10-22 12:41 PM

Oh do come on, filling a water tank with a hanging basket lance is simply taking the proverbial if someone was waiting to use a service point, can't believe anyone could be so stupid as to not acknowledge that or make the distinction that my comment was aimed at Hadenough that was simply moaning about having to queue, not because of some idiot using a watering can, or hanging basket lance making him wait.

You just can't let go can you with your nasty sniping? I wasn't 'moaning' as you constantly say in the several goes that you've had at me about that post. I was pointing out one of the big disadvantages of aires that no one ever mentions, namely the fact that that there can be 100 motorhomes and only one borne, which can be a big problem if you need to fill up and want to get off.

But it appears from your incredibly rude comments above that you don't like to be kept waiting as well.

It never takes long does it for you to revert to nasty, stirring and insulting Onefootinthegrave mode?

And who would use a watering can at a borne and at a tap it fills in a minute or so? But then again it gave you the opportunity to moan and prod about another post I've just made.

For God's sake give it a rest and stop trolling.

Guest Had Enough
lennyhb - 2014-10-22 12:35 PM

Yep typo was meant to be 100%.

Although the 20Lt is the amount Hymer use to calculate payload they refer to it as Travel Allowance.

Yes, it's the allowance that is part of the calculation for working out payload, just like 75 kg is the allowance for the driver, but fatter people are allowed to use Hymers as well! (lol)

It has nothing to do with recommended water capacity when travelling.

Archived