leveling blocks

mids

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bigger ramps and lack of storage space are not compatible.

We find the Fiamma "Level Up" ramps are fine 90% of the time and a good compromise on storage space.

What's the spirit level for? I stand in the van if it feels level it is level, often don't bother with ramps if my head it higher than my feet on the bed it's fine, but if staying put for two or three nights I usually get the ramps out,.

As Lenny says, higher the ramp, bigger they are. If you haven't got room for a set of big ramps get another van ;-) , We have Milanco triples, wish we had brought quads. As gf likes to dispute my natural sense of level we have a round spirit level, it's not very accurate, so whilst gf is getting back in van I swivel it until it reads perfectly level :D

I've tried various types of levelling ramp and found the Milenco "stepped" ones best, because you can "feel" the MH climbing up then. Quads are best if you have room, otherwise Triples. They are often easier to store in the bags which are provided because two of them stack as a block.

You only need to carry three ramps in total of course, it should never be necessary to raise all four wheels unless you want to sleep underneath.

StuartO - 2014-10-22 9:26 AM

You only need to carry three ramps in total of course, it should never be necessary to raise all four wheels unless you want to sleep underneath.

Three? Never found the need for more than a pair, if the grounds that bad I'm not going to stop there. Never heard of anyone carrying 3 before & they are sold in pairs.

Perhaps if lack of space is an issue for the OP, a roof box may be the answer, somewhere to put all the Dixel bog paper, waste water hoses, and a set of Milenco quad ramps. ;-)

lennyhb - 2014-10-22 9:31 AM

Three? Never found the need for more than a pair, if the grounds that bad I'm not going to stop there. Never heard of anyone carrying 3 before & they are sold in pairs.

Well you have now. And I managed to buy an odd one to complete my outfit as well. LIve and learn Lenny, rather than jump to the conclusion that because you don't see it straight away, it can't possibly make sense. :-)

StuartO - 2014-10-22 10:26 AM

lennyhb - 2014-10-22 9:31 AM

Well you have now. And I managed to buy an odd one to complete my outfit as well. LIve and learn Lenny, rather than jump to the conclusion that because you don't see it straight away, it can't possibly make sense. :-)

just don't see the point why not just find a flatter bit of ground.

Its ok getting high levellers but they are really big to store and also if you level one side only and it happens to be the Hab .door side you then need a step to got in/ out or break your neck in the process . I prefer the Fiamma standards ones and if you need the extra height move on. :-D

Brian

hi, Ever thought of finding some scrap wood, a saw. some scews or nails etc and making your own, custom, ones to fit the space you've got and the hight you want. I did. Cost pennies not pounds. Work brilliantly and I get a very smug feeling when I park near someone using shop bought ramps knowing they've spent a small fortune to do the same job. If I was any good on this dammed computer, I'd send you my design to give you more idea what I'm talking about.

We've got the quads which are about as good as you can get. Thought we would have to go down to the triples when we downsize to a van conversion but we've found a strong plastic box in B & Q the will just take the quads plus mains lead, TV lead and a few other odds and ends. Will secure it for travel inside the van then store under the van when on site. We may even get a second one for madams shoes etc. have to see how we go when new van arrives next month.

I must say we hardly ever need to use the top step on the quads but it is reassuring not to because of the danger of driving over the top. On the few occasions we had used the top step the blocks have shown a tendency to tip forwards.

When we changed to a panel van one of the casualties of reduced storage was level chocks and since not carrying them very rarely have we needed them.

I do carry my 4 x 12" square x 1" thick plywood for parking on soft ground and together with a couple of 6"x9"x2" thick blocks tapered at one end this gives us up to 3" which generally suffices to get level enough.

Panel vans have less body overhang and are more inherently stable and this undoubtedly helps.

Err, I had a LWB PVC, our CB has exactly the same wheel base, so any given slope is the same irrespective of any overhang, if you needed ramps with one, you'll need them with the other.

You may well think that, but I don't!

It is my perception that the bodily overhang on a coachbuilt only adds to it's tendency to lean when on any kind of slope, not to the same extent as body sway when on the road of course, but same principle applies and whatever the reason we find the panel van much more stable and less prone to lean whether tis on the move or parked.

Some slopes we can live with, the severity depending on the attraction of the location!

Tracker - 2014-10-22 6:17 PM

You may well think that, but I don't!

It is my perception that the bodily overhang on a coachbuilt only adds to it's tendency to lean when on any kind of slope, not to the same extent as body sway when on the road of course, but same principle applies and whatever the reason we find the panel van much more stable and less prone to lean whether tis on the move or parked.

Some slopes we can live with, the severity depending on the attraction of the location!

I was just making a statement of fact, that is a gradient is a gradient irrespective of the van you are in, nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah, well I always was a heretic who sees many things different to the herd!

Whoever heard of anyone going motorhoming without any of the 3 alleged 'essentials', the holy trinity of a mains lead, level chocks, or silver screens! How ever do we manage I hear you ask - well, very well - since you ask!!!!

Partly because when we started these things did not exist so if we did not need them then we don't now either!

Mind you cruise control, central heating, air con, reliable brakes and power steering etc didn't exist either and I would not want to return to them good old days!

mikebeaches - 2014-10-22 1:17 PM

Milenco triples for us too - they are excellent. Occasionally wish we had the quads, but they are too bulky for and we always manage somehow without.

Mike

Ditto for us, found the solid base of the Milenco's better than others, especially when on grass, as they don't sink in. Don't need it perfect, just long as we don't slide out of bed, and drinks don't spill. Ray

Rayjsj - 2014-10-22 8:06 PM

mikebeaches - 2014-10-22 1:17 PM

Milenco triples for us too - they are excellent. Occasionally wish we had the quads, but they are too bulky for and we always manage somehow without.

Mike

Ditto for us, found the solid base of the Milenco's better than others, especially when on grass, as they don't sink in. Don't need it perfect, just long as we don't slide out of bed, and drinks don't spill. Ray

We find the Milenco's very good on grass, where they can struggle is on a hard standing, where they can slip when you try to go up them, why do some make hard standings with a slope? I'm almost tempted to put the Paslode in :D

Archived