Visiting Poland

swifty

I have asked this question before but my plans had to change. Can anyone give me advice on visiting Poland particularly Auschwitz. Are there any campsites nearby and would I need to book in advance. Are there any toll roads but above all is it safe to travel in a motorhome. I had though of traveling via Dresden using stelplatz. I would then like to travel back to Munich so would the best route be through the Czech Republic. Any advice would be appreciated.

swifty - 2014-10-23 5:33 PM

I have asked this question before but my plans had to change. Can anyone give me advice on visiting Poland particularly Auschwitz. Are there any campsites nearby and would I need to book in advance. Are there any toll roads but above all is it safe to travel in a motorhome. I had though of traveling via Dresden using stelplatz. I would then like to travel back to Munich so would the best route be through the Czech Republic. Any advice would be appreciated.

Camping Korona (N49° 57' 45.2" E19° 53' 26.3") at Gaj is the best site with good facilities, very quiet location despite being just minutes away from a very busy dual carriageway, and within easy reach of Auschwitz (N50° 2' 9" E19° 10' 42") which is approx 40 miles away. The area is actually named Oswiecim but you will see plenty of signs enroute for Auschwitz.

Everywhere in Poland is perfectly safe for Motorhome travel. I've "wildcamped" in various areas of Poland for years as well as using sites without any issues at all......and i travel alone. Motorhome robbery is virtually unheard of.

If travelling from there on to Munich then yes your best route would be through Czech. If you stick to minor roads going through small towns and villages there are Campsite facilities galore and its not uncommon to see little homemade "Camping" signs stuck on a post as anyone with a bit of spare ground opens it up for MH'ers and Caravan tourists.

There are only stretches of Toll Motorways in Poland. The toll charges are very cheap......but if caught trying to dodge paying, the fine is not! If ever you are about to travel a Motorway and you have entered where there were no Toll booths, it's always best to check at the first Service Area to be sure.

Here is a link for the Toll sections and charges; http://www.dalnicni-znamky.com/en/highway-toll-poland.html

Just an after thought here.

I should have mentioned you won't need to book Camping Korona, it's a sizeable site and there is always a pitch available.......but if you are looking to go at this time of year, that site will be closed.

There is another which is open year round, Camping Smok N50° 2' 47.1" E19° 52' 52.6" which is actually close on to Krakow.

Weather temps can also get quite cold in Poland during Winter so worth bearing this in mind too.

Thank you. That is going to be really useful. I am planning to visit late August to early September next year prior to meeting friends for the Oktoberfest in Munich. I have traveled in Germany a few times using stelplatz but have not yet been any farther East.

Bulletguy - 2014-10-23 9:06 PM................There are only stretches of Toll Motorways in Poland. The toll charges are very cheap......but if caught trying to dodge paying, the fine is not! If ever you are about to travel a Motorway and you have entered where there were no Toll booths, it's always best to check at the first Service Area to be sure.

Here is a link for the Toll sections and charges; http://www.dalnicni-znamky.com/en/highway-toll-poland.html

Paul

There was some comment a while back about what was alleged to be a police scam on a particular stretch of road into Poland from the German border. I think it went along the lines that on the Polish side the road was a toll road, and on the German side of course was not. The problem was that there was no-where obvious to pay the toll before the border, and/or that it was not obvious that the road was subject to a toll, and the police were scooping up traffic coming from Germany and fining them. Can't remember the details, though. Does this ring any bells with you, and is it still the case? If so, I thougt it might be useful for swifty.

Brian Kirby - 2014-10-24 4:04 PM

Paul

There was some comment a while back about what was alleged to be a police scam on a particular stretch of road into Poland from the German border. I think it went along the lines that on the Polish side the road was a toll road, and on the German side of course was not. The problem was that there was no-where obvious to pay the toll before the border, and/or that it was not obvious that the road was subject to a toll, and the police were scooping up traffic coming from Germany and fining them. Can't remember the details, though. Does this ring any bells with you, and is it still the case? If so, I thought it might be useful for swifty.

Brian

From memory that particular poster had been driving a 3.5+ton Mh unknowingly on a toll motorway section and hit with quite a heavy fine....somewhere in the region of 600 euro i think. Quite how he found himself 'not knowing' i've no idea as there are signs indicating. There are now also Booths making it impossible not to pay. However despite what it states on some sites that all motorways are toll, i've driven some parts which aren't. That may be due to the my van only being 2.5ton (i'm not sure) but only part of the A4 is 'toll' as i used that last year when needing to get from Krakow to Wroclaw fairly quickly.

It is possible to enter some motorway parts (say from a country road for example) where they don't have toll booths, but the motorway is "tolled". When i've done that, i've simply paid at the next Service Station, but booths are going in everywhere now. The ones from Krakow to Katowice for example are recent and were not there a few years ago.

Not sure what became of that poster as it was two or three years back now but my experiences of dealing with Polish Police have only ever been good and if he felt he had a valid case regards lack of signage etc, he should really have pursued it further.

swifty - 2014-10-24 12:36 PM

Thank you. That is going to be really useful. I am planning to visit late August to early September next year prior to meeting friends for the Oktoberfest in Munich. I have traveled in Germany a few times using stelplatz but have not yet been any farther East..

Camping Korona is open from 1st May until 31st August each year. I've used it four times now and never book......just roll up. Very nice setting, quiet, decent shower/toilet block, small onsite bar for drinks and also they do a limited selection of meals.

We enjoyed our visit to Poland for the FICCRALLY and another occasion. We stayed at Camping Clepardi and Smeg near Krakow. You can also spend the night in the car park of the Salt Mines. Use the main car park. The security attendant was very helpful and we were locked into the car park at night along with a few other motor homes. Very quiet. No additional charge unlike on independent car parks along the road which also seemed quite noisy.

Bulletguy - 2014-10-24 7:02 PM

Brian Kirby - 2014-10-24 4:04 PM

Paul

There was some comment a while back about what was alleged to be a police scam on a particular stretch of road into Poland from the German border. I think it went along the lines that on the Polish side the road was a toll road, and on the German side of course was not. The problem was that there was no-where obvious to pay the toll before the border, and/or that it was not obvious that the road was subject to a toll, and the police were scooping up traffic coming from Germany and fining them. Can't remember the details, though. Does this ring any bells with you, and is it still the case? If so, I thought it might be useful for swifty.

Brian

From memory that particular poster had been driving a 3.5+ton Mh unknowingly on a toll motorway section and hit with quite a heavy fine....somewhere in the region of 600 euro i think. Quite how he found himself 'not knowing' i've no idea as there are signs indicating. There are now also Booths making it impossible not to pay. However despite what it states on some sites that all motorways are toll, i've driven some parts which aren't. That may be due to the my van only being 2.5ton (i'm not sure) but only part of the A4 is 'toll' as i used that last year when needing to get from Krakow to Wroclaw fairly quickly.

It is possible to enter some motorway parts (say from a country road for example) where they don't have toll booths, but the motorway is "tolled". When i've done that, i've simply paid at the next Service Station, but booths are going in everywhere now. The ones from Krakow to Katowice for example are recent and were not there a few years ago.

Not sure what became of that poster as it was two or three years back now but my experiences of dealing with Polish Police have only ever been good and if he felt he had a valid case regards lack of signage etc, he should really have pursued it further.

Thanks for this, Paul.

Archived