water usage

tomboy99

Unable to give you an answer to that question a bit like how long is a piece of string. A totally different technique is required to eak out your available water storage and the amount of hot water the boiler has. We give a quick rinse over, shower gel or whatever and then a wash off so limiting the water useage. In addition the boiler will not be able to keep up by a long chalk as its unable to give the volume compared to a domestic type combi boiler

Two showers a day? There are some on here that would consider that extreme as once every few days will suffice ??????

Guest pelmetman
last weekend had my brother and his Mrs pitch up on our drive ;-) .............He plumbed into my water with a snazzy self filling water butt B-) ..................My SIL likes to start her ablutions at 6am 8-) ............At least on the drive we weren't woken early by our power shower going for 30 minutes :-S ...............

This is probably a wind up question but until I know for sure I will you the benefit of the doubt!

Sorry to burst your soap bubbles but I suspect that, without knowing what sort of van, boiler or hot water storage you have, a 'leisurely' shower will end up with a cold rinse in most motorhomes.

Leisurely showers and most motorhomes are not compatible due to limited hot water storage, limited ability to heat water hot enough quick enough, and limited waste water storage.

There may well be enough cold water tank capacity to feed your habit but it won't leave much for anything else so if two leisurely showers a day are your thing you might be better off considering staying on sites with showers?

A fairly leisurely shower is not really an option in a Motorhome if you want to stay off grid for a few days.

We use approx 35 Lt a day both of us having an economical shower. If you have a leisurely shower you will easily double that may be a lot more.

Not sure that "leisurely" showers work well in motorhomes; even at best the shower compartments are not very spacious and it's easy to run out of hot water if you get too carried away. The shower heads also tends to be relatively small, so you're not really talking power shower.

Nevertheless I find I can have a very satisfying and refreshing shower and I do occassionally shower on board rather than go over to the site's shower block - although unless the site;s showers are poor ones I normally use them.

Management (as I call her) also seems to need a shower less frequently than me (ladies do not perspire, they merely glow) so ordinarily we average no more than three showers per two days in total when we are relying on th MH facilities. I also use a water-saving technique of a good rinse then water off, soap up, rinse off and repeat for the shampoo. I think Management leaves it running throughout.

Between us we probably use about 25% of a tank per day altogether, so around 25 litres, but about half of that if we are using site showers.

There is by the way a technique for avoiding running out of hot water when more than one is showering. Put the hot water on (at 40 degrees) at least half an hour before you start then, five minutes before you start tunr it up to 60 degrees. This ensures that the boiler is "up and running" as you start, so it won't be caught resting. (Got that from a Truma man at a Show.)

hmmm, looks like the 2 showers a day may need a rethink, as i cant see us using campsites to often. Mainly weekend trips to be honest. and So with the combi 6, how many litres of hot water could i expect per sitting. i live in andalucia, so my mix of h/water and c/water, will not be anywhere near what you northerners use. Thanks, as usual. Tom

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2014-10-24 7:02 PM

There is by the way a technique for avoiding running out of hot water when more than one is showering. Put the hot water on (at 40 degrees) at least half an hour before you start then, five minutes before you start tunr it up to 60 degrees. This ensures that the boiler is "up and running" as you start, so it won't be caught resting. (Got that from a Truma man at a Show.)

Progress eh? :D ....................My hot water is only limited by the content of my water tank and the gas bottle B-).....................

tomboy99 - 2014-10-24 7:10 PM

hmmm, looks like the 2 showers a day may need a rethink, as i cant see us using campsites to often. Mainly weekend trips to be honest. and So with the combi 6, how many litres of hot water could i expect per sitting. i live in andalucia, so my mix of h/water and c/water, will not be anywhere near what you northerners use. Thanks, as usual. Tom

How long is a piece of string, would be an easier question to answer as at least you would know that it has an end at each end!

Your handbook will tell you the capacity of your hot water tank and unless you prefer a cold shower to dampen your spirits I suspect that you will need just as much hot water to get a hot shower as a Eskimo in Eskimoland would need to get an equally hot shower?

Sorry, unable to advise further as we stand when showering, but for a weekend away if you shower before you go and when you return why bother with all the hassle whilst you are away?

pelmetman - 2014-10-24 7:10 PM

Progress eh? :D ....................My hot water is only limited by the content of my water tank and the gas bottle B-).....................

I thought they stopped fitting those water heaters to van years ago on grounds of safety - carbon monoxide poisoning.

Now we know what keeps you going. (lol)

tomboy99 - 2014-10-24 7:10 PM

Combi 6 is 10Lt, we always use the heater set to 40 deg, if you set it to 60 dec it's too hot and we waste too much water trying to get the shower temp right.

We find after the first person has had a shower need to leave it 5 - 10 min to be hot enogh for the second shower.

In practice, if wife has a shower first by the time she is out of the washroom, I can have my shower immediately, If I go in first and she goes straight in she complains of the shower going cold. (lol)

We have a combi6 boiler, and when we are away, we both shower twice a day with no probs. You have to adopt the 'Navy shower' procedure......Get wet quickly, wet sponge, turn off shower, wash, rinse off under running water as quick as you can. We find that the combi6 will just hold enough hot water for both of us to have a hot shower this way.

BTW. Another tip...... We use Tesco Micro Fibre cloths to clear most of the water off the body after a shower before using a towel. This way the towel doesn't get too damp, and the micro fibre cloth can be wrung out and easily dried ( close to the combi6 boiler) before the next use.

lennyhb

..we waste too much water trying to get the shower temp right.

No need to waste this water - we run it into a jug and then use it for the washing up.

We get through about 10 litres per person per day, including showers, without being particularly frugal.

Guest pelmetman
lennyhb - 2014-10-25 10:13 AM

pelmetman - 2014-10-24 7:10 PM

I thought they stopped fitting those water heaters to van years ago on grounds of safety - carbon monoxide poisoning.

Now we know what keeps you going. (lol)

No need to waste any water either Lenny ;-) ............just set it at the water heater :D ............

Archived