Aires? Couche' to Bordeaux

terryW

I am having to re-think my route South for this winter, having recently moved house I now haver extra travel time in France on my first day. That means all my favourite on route winter aires are in the wrong place and I need to find some others near the N10. At the moment I plan to stop at Couche' but that's likely to be too early. I have All the Aires but would appreciate recommendations to either use of avoid. I'm not bothered about water etc as I know where to stop on route for all the services I need.

Many thanks

morning folks,

Going south we have been in the same situation as yourself and so we now travel further down to Cavignac This is just north of Bordeaux but comfortably far enough for safety (I am wary about big courbations) About half an hour to bordeaux. Our next stop would be Castets about 3 hours away.

norm

The Aire at Chateaudun, about 20 miles S of Chatre on the N10 is on tarmac and in a pleasant location. If that's full there is a bigger one on gravel at the nearby St Dennis le ????, close to a Le Clerk. Both are in All the Aires. Chateaudun is a good day's drive from Calais. Any good?

StuartO - 2014-10-30 9:52 AM

The Aire at Chateaudun, about 20 miles S of Chatre on the N10 is on tarmac and in a pleasant location. If that's full there is a bigger one on gravel at the nearby St Dennis le ????, close to a Le Clerk. Both are in All the Aires. Chateaudun is a good day's drive from Calais. Any good?

Thanks StuartO, Yes a very nice aire we often stop at that one for coffee and use the facilities. I didn't mention it but by the time we reach Calais we will have half a days driving under our belt and hope to reach Saint Andre de l' eure for our first night. I think Chateaudun/Marboue will be a 'tad too far'.

goldi - 2014-10-30 9:33 AM

morning folks,

Going south we have been in the same situation as yourself and so we now travel further down to Cavignac This is just north of Bordeaux but comfortably far enough for safety (I am wary about big courbations) About half an hour to bordeaux. Our next stop would be Castets about 3 hours away.

norm

Thanks norm, I had my eye on that one, weather permitting at the time that would work well for us. Our next stop after that is likely to be Zaragoza, as I say, weather permitting).

peejay - 2014-10-30 5:26 PM

Hi Terry,

A little further down from Chaunay is Verteuil sur Charente, lovely little aire in parkland next to the river, only 5 places though but you should be ok out of season.

http://tinyurl.com/lr5fa93

Pete

The comment in all the aires about narrow access through the town put me off that one. Is it that bad?

Terry

terryW - 2014-10-30 7:38 PM

The comment in all the aires about narrow access through the town put me off that one. Is it that bad?

Terry

We've used Verteuil several times and can't recall any problems getting to the aire. If it had been difficult I would have remembered.

Pete

peejay - 2014-10-31 9:01 AM

terryW - 2014-10-30 7:38 PM

Terry

We've used Verteuil several times and can't recall any problems getting to the aire. If it had been difficult I would have remembered.

Pete

Thanks Pete, I will add that one to my list. That gives me a few options down that route. Handy as I can' t be sure how far I will get.

Thanks to all for their thoughts nothing worse than arriving after a long drive only to find your not comfortable staying overnight.??

If heading for Bordeaux tend not to use N10 but take route past Le Mans, mainly as we like visiting towns en route and where possible look for Aires with hook-ups. On this basis we use, in order, Honfleur, yes we know many on here think it a motorhome slum, then Le Suze sur Sarth, easy train into Le Mans, followed by Niort. This is an urban aire with road in narrow in places and some pitches a little tight, but a nice town to explore.From here we usually stay a few nights on the marina side aire at Mortange sur Gironde. All these Aires have electricity, and cost in range 5€/10€ in night.

Thanks robertandjean. I've put that away for the future, this trip is a fast winter run down to Southern Spain. This time I am trying to complete in four days with a single driver if the weather is kind to me. Normally I take five days but I am trying to take advantage of a house move that has shortened my journey time to Dover.

Hello again,

What we have done recently is first day leaving yorkshire abou t 7 am to pont d,larche which is south of rouen for about 5 ,o,clock. the following day set off about 8.30 and get to cavignac for about 5-6 o.clock again. the the following day I would expect to be able to get to Zaragoza for teatime again. We average about 350 400 miles a day although on one journey we did 720 miles in the day.

norm

Archived