Ducato engine number

Josse

Hi about two years ago I bought a 2000 2.8 Ducato Rapido motorhome and in the V5 in the space for the engine number, it was stamped not known. I searched everywhere for it, various mechanics that I know suggested various places on the engine but to no avail. I got in touch with the main Fiat dealer in Guildford and spoke to some mechanics in the workshop and they didn't know where it was mean't to be so I gave up looking for it. Sometime later I needed to replace the alternator and after removing the alternator I found the engine number faintly etched, not stamped on the cylinder block. How stupid that you should have to remove the alternator to get the engine number.

Josse

I think this 2010 discussion would have related to a 2.8litre motor (though Don Madge doesn’t say so!), but it fails to say exactly where on the engine-block the number can be found.

(I vaguely recall that the number on the block of my Hobby motorhome’s Ford motor was a beggar to read. It wasn’t particularly difficult to to identify where the number was, just that its position and orientation made it hard to decipher. I think I ended up using a mirror.)

When I registered my van I put down the number the dealer had put on the invoice under engine number. After looking at the plate under the bonnet I think the number was actually engine type. DVLA did not query it & a friends Carthago had on the V5 "Not known", DVLA don't appear to bother about engine numbers anymore. When I was a young lad when you changed an engine you had to send of the log book and get the change recorded, I don't think anyone bothers any more.

Archived