DIY/Subcontract conversions

Dave Attridge

snowie - 2014-11-08 12:12 PM

grahamw - 2014-11-08 11:49 AM

One of the best ways to secure value for money. It also true that you can simply copy a mainstream converters layout if you wish and still gain the financial benefit.

I disagree Graham; think the design through carefully and have the job done well and there'll be someone out there who will appreciate it, but I suppose most of us who go the bespoke route don't change vans very often.

Indeed Alan that is exactly what I have done down to providing my own drawings and dimensions. My comment about copying a mainstream layout was only to answer a posting expressing concern at producing an unconventional layout. For comparison I suppose I could describe mine as having the rear of a Vantage Neo and the front end of a Devon Aztec. Like you I view it as a long term ownership vehicle because if it's well thought through the urge to change does not exist.

Hello all,

Firstly,many thanks for your valued responses. I am overwhelmed!.

Alan b, the reason i've gone quiet is that i've been away for the weekend (no wi fi !)and just had a look at the responses.But you seem to have amused yourselves in the meantime!!.

I should point out that we(wife, me and the dog) have been motorhoming for 12 years or so. Our current ride(the 3rd) is a Frankia I 700 BD(4 berth A class with a rear bed and A class front drop down) tag axle, powered by a Fiat 2.8 jtd which we have owned for the last four years.

This ride is currently up for sale at £32K.

I see no reason why I could not buy an ex library van(they are all 7.5 + tonne Gross vehicle weight)and have it fitted out with our basic and specific needs for that sort of money.

As I am currently 66 years old, and have a licence to drive up to 7.5tonne ,if I have it modified to our requirements I would not need to sell it unless I failed the medical at 70 years old .(which I am not planning to do at this moment in time!).

Most of your responses seem to be relevant to panel vans,which I am not looking for.

I will ,of course, look at the suggested websites and hope that I can find some one to quote.

Once again many thanks for your help. More suggestions would be appreciated but bear in mind that i am looking for rear wheel drive.

Dave A

Probably too old, and manual; but not bad looking I think.

2004 Iveco Euro MOBILE LIBRARY SHOP WORKSHOP ETC MANUAL

honest john vans http://vans.honestjohn.co.uk/vans-for-sale/details?id=31765249

£18k

52k mls

I hope you had a good weekend.

An interesting project Dave, the above library van sounds pretty good, but I wonder exactly how much you would be able to retain, apart from the electrical system , the rest sounds good, but I suspect that most of the interior would end up in a skip. I think you might find £32k a bit tight for such a large van, unless the purchase of the van is additional to the £32?.

An interesting challenge/project though. Unless the Frankia is no longer appropriate to your needs, I think I would stick with it. A van conversion is probably potentially as stressful as a house improvement project!

regards

alan b

Archived