TV in the winter

Brock

Acquired a TV this summer. Won't use it in the winter as whilst I carry on motorhoming, the missus hibernates.

I seem to recall that I should remove it in the cold weather. Is this right? I know cold can play havoc with LCD displays.

Also noticed on a Caravan forum that they recommend caravanners remove the aerial and cover the hole. This seems a bit much.

Guest Had Enough
Brock - 2014-11-08 11:22 AM

Acquired a TV this summer. Won't use it in the winter as whilst I carry on motorhoming, the missus hibernates.

I seem to recall that I should remove it in the cold weather. Is this right? I know cold can play havoc with LCD displays.

Also noticed on a Caravan forum that they recommend caravanners remove the aerial and cover the hole. This seems a bit much.

This may help

http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/2009/01/rv_flat_screen_lcd_tv.php

but I think removing aerials is a bit over the top.

We have always left our TV in place over the winter months when not in use.

When we started using it again this March after an hour or so of viewing the left hand side of the display lost some of its colours which as you say could have been caused by exposure to freezing temperatures.

Just sold our 3 yo LCD tv which had no problems despite being in the van at -16c, note the temps in HE's link are in Fahrenheit, -20f is -29c, pretty extreme for UK, but I do agree that damp on cold electrical items can be a problem.

Are most modern motorhomes LED now rather than LCD which is the older technology? Ours is LED and (I think) it has no liquid in unlike the older LCD types. Anyway we leave ours in and its no problem. I think there is an old LCD one in there as well as a spare and it still works.

Barryd999 - 2014-11-08 6:12 PM

Are most modern motorhomes LED now rather than LCD which is the older technology? Ours is LED and (I think) it has no liquid in unlike the older LCD types. Anyway we leave ours in and its no problem. I think there is an old LCD one in there as well as a spare and it still works.

Sorry Barry not the case, they are LED back lit rather than incandescent tubes the screen is still LCD.

LED screen are made but still in there infancy and cost loads of money, they use organic LED's and only last a few years.

Edit:

Been following your adventures on MF glad you made it back safe & sound after all your mishaps. (lol)

We have always left TV in Van over winter.No problem I have made a padded cover for ours, as protection for screen, as ours is mounted fairly low down. The cover I made , I used some curtaining material and padded it with a piece of old iron board cover, made a sort of envelope wrap around, and fastened with 1 inch wide

velcro, works a treat!

PJay

Thanks, I removed the TV and it is nesting for the winter in the spare bedroom. Not worth the wrath of the missus when she comes out of hibernation and finds a wonky screen on out first trip.

In the winter of 2010/11 we had temperatures of -15C although the last few winters have been mild.

Archived