Naviextra satnav

Deesider

We have a 2013 Autotrail Apache 632 which has the standard 2013 Autotrail Naviextra satnav, loaded on an sd card. The screen now tells us that the maps require updating but at a significant cost. The update process also requires to be carried out on a Windows based pc and is not available on a Mac platform which we have. Does anyone know if it is possible to load another mapping system (e.g. Tom Tom) which provides free updates and is available which can be done on a Mac.

You will probably get this problem, and the cost, every year. Can't advise on the maps, but would imagine that, as there are only, AFAIK, two providers of the mapping (Navteq and TeleAtlas), Naviextra will have bought the mapping on licence for one or other, and will have their unit locked to the licence. The map publishers seem to insist on this, presumably to protect their copyright.

You don't say what the cost of the update is, but there are good stand-alone sat-navs from both Garmin and TomTom that come with free (roughly quarterly) map updates. These units are relatively cheap, and although the technology eventually becomes outdated, should last several years before it is time to trade them in for new.

Personal view, but I think they are a better option than dash mounted versions. If the Naviextra unit has more functions than sat-nav, I'd be inclined to forego the update and buy a stand alone unit. I'd still be inclined to take that route even if the Naviextra is sat-nav only, but that's me!

Alternatively, just go with the out of date maps until they cause problems, and then decide what to get. Maps are invariably out of date to some extent, as change continues while they are being plotted and published, so even the latest will have some quirks.

Naviextra is the mapping not the make of the sat nav and it is probably running Primo IGo8 Sat nav program, which will probably loaded into the firmware so I doubt if you can run any other satnav program.

RobinHood is the expert on Primo software he may be able to offer more help.

My Clarion uses the Primo IGO8 and I can say it is the best satnav I've had by far, well worth persevering with & the cost, a small price to pay for such a good satnav, that is assuming it is Primo IGO8.

Normally you get a free map update within 30 days of first lock onto a GPS signal after that they are £75.

I don't see why you can't do it on your mac can't you just boot with Base Camp and run windows programs?

Deesider - 2014-11-09 11:12 AM

We have a 2013 Autotrail Apache 632 which has the standard 2013 Autotrail Naviextra satnav, loaded on an sd card. The screen now tells us that the maps require updating but at a significant cost. The update process also requires to be carried out on a Windows based pc and is not available on a Mac platform which we have. Does anyone know if it is possible to load another mapping system (e.g. Tom Tom) which provides free updates and is available which can be done on a Mac.

My 2012 Auto trail had the same system, I couldn't get on with the sat-nav at all, even with updates online it still treated the van as a car, and sent us on some very unsuitable roads. In the end I got rid of it and got a tom tom 'camper' with lifetime map updates.Much better and not 'hair raising' like the 'navvy'.

ps The actual model of the Sat-Nav/Radio/DVD/Freeview tuner(!!)'jack of all trades, master of none' ! is : Autotrail models:•

12ELE2000/13ELE0010

13ELE2000

Ray, hopefully you can confirm what the satnav engine is.

My Primo IGO has the option for, car, bus, taxi, emergency vehicle & lorry, I have only used the car setting as do not want to risk being sent only down main arterial roads putting miles on my journey. The boss always checks the route with Autoroute as we drive (we have a GPS receiver for the netbook) that gives a clearer picture of road widths.

The IGo software and maps are locked to the serial number of the original SD card.

(It would appear that it is possible to get TomTom (Teleatlas) maps that work on this device, but they aren't the same format as those for a TomTom device, and the "official" maps (for Western Europe at least) are Navteq ones, the only ones I've used).

As Igo8 and Primo both run on WinCE (embedded in the device), it should be technically possible to load other navigation packages which also run on that platform.

It's not something I would recommend trying for anyone who is not technically very savvy, and I suspect it wouldn't be easy to find such a package that provides free map updates anyway.

I've played around with an old Blaupunkt WinCE based satnav, and managed to get a package working on that, but it wasn't at all easy to get into the WinCE core (even though, as a portable device I was able to connect it to my PC to do so). In addition, there tends to be a number of customisations in the other software on the device (multimedia, etc.) which integrate with the implementation of the original package, and can make changes difficult.

The alternative is to find a "cracked" version of the IGO software and maps on the web, and load that. My suspicion is that a number of the eBay offerings do this. It is of course illegal (copyright issues), and, since IGO is heavily configurable to its host device, is not something that would be easy to get to work. I wouldn't recommend it on both fronts.

I would agree with Lenny's statement, IGO/Primo (if you understand it's use and configuration) is the best navigation software I've used. It routes reasonably, but for me its main advantage is in interactive use, with, for example, Traffic, POIs, and route "forcing" being easier/better than others I have used.

You don't say whether the Autotrail version has ceased to function, or is simply giving a warning. If the latter, I would ignore it until you really feel the need for a map update - version to version there are not a lot of changes. I suspect, however, that since you don't appear to have been able to connect the SD to Naviextras (having a mac), your current maps may have missed out on the free update, and will date back to when the SD was created (which may be some time ago).

Sorry Lenny, I have no idea, Robin was correct in saying that the 1st update was free on the :

https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal

Website, once you have registered your unit, but as my home sysytem was windows based i was able to update mine OK, but it was out of date within 6 months and all updates then were expensive AND there was no 'toolbox' that could accept 'Motorhome/camper/ truck/caravan' as a vehicle type. hence me getting rid of it. I think that Autotrail just 'bought it off of the shelf' without much thought of it's actual use.

IMHO. Ray

I would now NEVER buy a vehicle with an 'already fitted' Sat-Nav, they need updating too often to be of any use. Can you imagine using a 10 year old sat-Nav ?? thats how long I keep my vehicles (thats being Green !).

Rayjsj - 2014-11-09 3:35 PM

I would now NEVER buy a vehicle with an 'already fitted' Sat-Nav, they need updating too often to be of any use. Can you imagine using a 10 year old sat-Nav ?? thats how long I keep my vehicles (thats being Green !).

I agree with that, I brought the Clarion myself and one of the reasons for choosing it was the Primo IGO satnav, I've had several satnav's including a Navtec & 2 Garmin's the last Garmin was only a couple of months old when I brought the Clarion, Clarion was expensive but a very good decision, but it also serves as the rear camera monitor & no unsightly bits & pieces all over the dash.

I remember when Nissan brought out the X Train the maps on the satnav were several years out of date and they couldn't off any update at all.

...further to the above. The ability to define Motorhome/Truck, etc. is, AFAIK, IGO/Primo licence dependent.

I'm pretty sure that an additional set of .ftr map data is supplied with versions that can do this (containing "truck" data). It's presence triggers the "truck" etc. capability.

This licence costs more, and updates (I think, by reference to the Naviextras site) likewise .

If your device came with that particular licence and data (provided by, for example, Clarion), it will function with dimensions, etc, and updates will pull in updated data for the same.

If you were supplied without that version, I don't think there is any way to officially upgrade it.

Archived