Bucket Lists

snowie

Hi all;

I'm having trouble coming up with some adrenalin pumping experiences that involve water.

I'm not a strong swimmer, so that could limit possibilities.

Air and land have been easy so far, in fact still got a few to organize, but water definately out of my comfort zone.

Interested in suggestions and locations and costs if you've done it,

regards

alan b

Caddies104 - 2014-11-10 10:28 PM

Hi

Try googling Oahu shark diving in a cage, no swimming, but scary!! Doing it next March along with Whale watching...

Holiday of a lifetime here we come (lol)

Sounds like a good one, maybe not on a van trip tho" That doesn't rule it out tho"

regards

alan b

Hi

Try googling Oahu shark diving in a cage, no swimming, but scary!! Doing it next March along with Whale watching...

Don't you have to be able to use a scuuba dive cylinder?

Would not like that experience. I used to be a strong swimmer, but not any more, and I don't like getting my head under the water!

PJay

High speed inflatable boat trip out of Southwold. Exhilerating, I nearly crapped myself in the choppy sea state, and I have a cruiser that will do 31 Knots, so should be used to it. But that boat was flying, with it's twin 300hp engines. I loved every minute really, although we got a bit wet. It was a few years ago and was £15.00 each for an hour out.

Thanks for that Peter; I like the sound of that. I also have an image of a fast hovercraft in my head, something as much sideways as just straight line. Just Googled "powerboat rides uk" and got a company in Southsea, an hour for £30!

We'll see in spring I think,

regards

alan b

We used to go fishing out of Falmouth sometimes in a very fast twin engined RIB - great for a quick evening trip to the Manacles for bass - but very hard on the joints if you stand or bum if you sit as it slams down after each leap over even the smallest waves - so hope your Arthritis isn't playing up on the day!

Enjoy as it certainly is exhilarating - especially when someone else is paying for the petrol which disappears at an alarming rate!

PJay - 2014-11-10 10:54 PM

Hi

Don't you have to be able to use a scuuba dive cylinder?

Would not like that experience. I used to be a strong swimmer, but not any more, and I don't like getting my head under the water!

PJay

No, the cage is dropped in the water level with the surface, you have snorkel and mask, and drop below the surface to see the sharks....

peter - 2014-11-11 8:54 PM

High speed inflatable boat trip out of Southwold. Exhilerating, I nearly crapped myself in the choppy sea state, and I have a cruiser that will do 31 Knots, so should be used to it. But that boat was flying, with it's twin 300hp engines. I loved every minute really, although we got a bit wet. It was a few years ago and was £15.00 each for an hour out.

I had to sit that one out with a bad back, but I was told it was great fun.

snowie - 2014-11-10 8:36 PM

....I'm having trouble coming up with some adrenalin pumping experiences that involve water....

As you get older the fast river or kamikaze leaping stuff becomes less appealing and you look for more passive ways of getting your kicks. Not tried it myself but I understand lots of Germans enjoy colonic irrigation as well as feeling better for it.

peter - 2014-11-11 8:54 PM

£15 would cover a pub lunch and a couple of pints, even in a southwold pub, and you could sit in comfort for an hour with binoculars, watching the boat passengers suffer and throw up, with no way of getting off.

Guest Had Enough

Next time in France you could try the Ardeche canoe descent. It's about twenty miles and you're in no danger of drowning as you'll have a life-vest.

The rapids are only a problem in a small number of places and you may be able to choose a trip with a partner who's more experienced.

I've done it twice, the second time with my eight-year-old daughter and I wouldn't have taken her if it was too dangerous.

The trip is superb with huge towering ravines that the river cuts through. You're picked up at the end by the canoe company and returned to your car.

It's a full day out and you'll take a packed lunch and there are some lovely spots to stop and watch the others go by.

http://www.aventure-canoes.fr/english/

Had Enough - 2014-11-12 3:47 PM

Next time in France you could try the Ardeche canoe descent. It's about twenty miles and you're in no danger of drowning as you'll have a life-vest.

Thanks Frank; that's reminded me about the white water rafting at Holme Pierrpoint, which is just down the road!

Nice to combine with a van trip to scenic parts tho'

regards

alan b

Guest pelmetman

The rapids are only a problem in a small number of places and you may be able to choose a trip with a partner who's more experienced.

I've done it twice, the second time with my eight-year-old daughter and I wouldn't have taken her if it was too dangerous.

The trip is superb with huge towering ravines that the river cuts through. You're picked up at the end by the canoe company and returned to your car.

It's a full day out and you'll take a packed lunch and there are some lovely spots to stop and watch the others go by.

http://www.aventure-canoes.fr/english/

I doubt it would match up to the excitement of a destroyer being tossed about in a hurricane :D .........plus I was being payed for it B-)................

Although I sh*t my pants when I thought we were turning over :$ ...............

......"......."....................................................

Hi

Great reminder, did the Ardèche in June, stayed at the Campsite that is next to the Ardèche, a few metres away...

As you say is brilliant , one of the best adventures we did... A little scary at times when you do the rapids for the first time, but only a few feet deep. A MUST do again .....

I doubt it would match up to the excitement of a destroyer being tossed about in a hurricane :D .........plus I was being payed for it B-)................

Although I sh*t my pants when I thought we were turning over :$ ...............

Not much would Dave; but too much info

thanks all the same,

alan b

Archived