Reversing sensors

Eswyn

Can anyone forsee any problems with fitting Rev. sensors to a 2015 model Fiat Ducato, I read & hear so many horror stories with regard to interfering with ECU`s etc. Would there be a problem connecting to the revere light feed?.

Many thanks Roger

Eswyn - 2014-11-12 11:21 AM

Can anyone forsee any problems with fitting Rev. sensors to a 2015 model Fiat Ducato, I read & hear so many horror stories with regard to interfering with ECU`s etc. Would there be a problem connecting to the revere light feed?.

Many thanks Roger

In a word yes, there would be problems because your vehicle has a CAMBUS lighting system, which uses the power draw on a lighting circuit to monitor its servicabilty - so adding extra electrical load to the reversing light circuit would probably cause an error situation. CAMBUS would start telling you that your light bulbs were duff or some such.

You could make a temporary connection to the reversing light supply and try out your reversing sensor system to see what happens but you will probably find that it won't work properly. You may be able to get around this by connecting an ordinary 12v power relay to the reversing light circuit to energise a separate 12v supply to the reversing light sensors. You might be able to draw this separate power from the 12v supply to the light in your MH's garage which will be reasonably nearby (because this will not be in use when you are wanting to use the reversing sensors and the circuit is unlikely to be overloaded by powering the sensors rather than the interior light) but failing that you would need to run a supply cable from the fuseboard or battery. Again it should be possible to rig up temporary connections to test this before you start cutting holes to fit the sensors permanently.

Incdentally I bought a set of reversing sensors off EBay for £15 for my MH and they work perfectly. Good luck.

My 2012 Autotrail has had reversing sensors fitted, and as far as I know my van has a 'Can-bus' system too ? I asked the fitter whether that would be a problem, he said no, (and that was 18 months of use ago). Kit used was This :

http://www.parkingsensors.co.uk/product/micro-audio-6-sensor-reversing-kit-dms655

They were fitted by their recommended and hired fitter. They work fine, and blend into the bodywork, and as my Tow bar is a 'swan-neck' witter bar, it doesn't interfere with their action. Ray

http://www.parkingsensors.co.uk/page/vehicle-compatibility-canbus

The answer to the original question is it depends on the make/model of reversing sensor you intend to fit.

Many systems draw very little current so can be connected to the reverse light. Some systems are provided with a CANBus adapter.

If you remove the reverse light bulb and you get a warning sign on the dashboard you know it is part of the CANBus system.

Go to reputable supplier who will be able to advise you on the finer points of his kits.

I've never been a fan of reversing sensors after a near neighbour reversed into my wife's car. He said his sensors were telling him he still had a way to go. They should only be viewed as an aid and not relied upon as the definitive all clear.

Archived