Electric Oven

Pc Plod

I have recently changed the smev 555 gas warming plate oven for an electric mini oven. The smev oven imo has limited functions and since we seem to be paying for electricty on site regardless of if we need it or not ,was the deciding factor to fitting an electric oven.

The oven is fitted into a large housing above the fridge and there is about 2.5inches clearance around the oven and 4inches at the rear but the shelf below the oven is getting very hot .Any suggestions as to what we could put below the oven to divert the heat away would be very helpfull.

Regards Harry

Ps: I have fitted an extractor fan to the rear of the housing to extract heat out through the external vent.

The objective is presumably to minimise the fire risk and to transfer as little heat as possible into the fridge below. The problem is there isn't much space between the oven and the fridge and filling it uo with insulation material might not help.

Hopefully the MH designer thought of the fire risk side of things and provided an adequate gap.. Remember that an air gap is a good insulator and that insulating layers of material are merely a way of trapping air into little pockets.

I suspect that your idea of the fan will help and is unlikely to do any harm. It might well be all you should do. I would be cautous about stuffing insulating material into the gap between the oven and fridge. Remember that the oven is not in continuous use.

If there isn't already a reflective layer on the top of the fridge maybe there should be, but I suspect you will find that there is. Unless you start smelling burning I would be inclined to leave well alone.

That you’ve identified that the shelf below the electric oven is getting very hot suggests that the oven you’ve fitted was not designed to be built in.

However, as the electric oven replaces a gas oven and the oven’s enclosure has a large external ventilation-grille (plus your add-on fan) I would have thought the chances of the shelf beneath the electric oven becoming so hot it would present a genuine fire risk are minimal.

However, if you believe the shelf may become damaged by the heat, pepe63’s suggestion would be the logical approach.

pepe63 - 2014-11-12 7:56 PM

I wasn't aware that I'd suggested that Harry "fills up" gaps with "insulation material"..?..........

Touchy? I was responding to the OP.

The material you suggested would be better than a shelf of unprotected lightweight ply, if that's what the shelf is.

Sounds like a load of hassle to ensure you get 20pence worth of electricity use,

if I'm on hook up I switch on a fan heater and leave the doors and windows open if it gets too hot. :-S

My OH bemoans our lack of an oven but in our present MH we would have to sacrifice two very useful drawers to fit one so it's not viable. The gas ovens fitted to MHs (usually Smeg) also seem to get mixed reviews - going out etc. She has suggested a portable electric oven.

We had a combo microwave/grill/oven fitted into an upper locker but it was awkward to get at, requiring reaching over a table, so got little use and we took it out. At the moment she settles for a Remoska.

We are on sites with EHU more often than without, so maybe a portable electric oven, stored in the garage when not in use, would be the answer. I'm thinking of the lightweight things rather than anything as bulky or heavy as a microwave. At leat they are relatively cheap to try and cast aside if they prove to be more trouble than worth.

My hubby loves his halogen oven ... yes it is his, he got it for Christmas from my Mum! :-D

He uses it at home all the time, in fact we've got 2, one for home and one for our 'new to us' static caravan. The newer one doesn't get as hot as the old one though so he can't get the pork cracking as crispy! :-|

You can get different sizes of them but you need to ensure that the wattage is sufficiently high if you go for one of the 7L ones as there's no point in getting one that you can't cook anything in.

Another option is one of the 'multi-cookers' now on sale, JML do one - it was being advertised on TV tele-shopping recently (no I don't watch these 'programmes' it just happened to be on when the TV was turned on!).

Thankyou for all replies. Since my original post the electric oven developed a fault so i took it out and got a refund.

Many thanks to mel's reply which urged my wife to order the 7L andrew james halogen oven which should arrive next tuesday.

Regards harry

Archived