fracking

nasher

hello fellow sceptics. How many MPS are currently on the board of QUADRILLA fracking co.

What will be the impact on the poorest in society with the reduction in Social Services announced today.

This is obviously another attack on the working class.

Guest pelmetman
Speaking as a skeptic :D ..................I doubt the working class has much to fear ;-) ...............as they're unlikely to frack in their area ;-) .................I suspect its the chattering classes that may feel the rumble in their jungle :D ...............

• 2 weeks later...

If you are thinking of doing some research and finding out how many MPs are connected with Quadrilla, with a view to publishing a list and perhaps suggesting that they might be inclined to work for their paymasters rather than their constituents, could you, in the name of fairness, also publish a list of those with affiliations and financial interest in trades unions and the like, who might also be distracted from their duty to represent their constituents?

AGD

I suspect that it was not fracking that occurred but seismic exploration. This is where they do make a controlled explosion or shock into the ground and record the bounce back of signals. This allows them to 'map' the underground geology. Seismic work has been going on everywhere for a very long time indeed and is used to determine many things, not just fracking opportunities.

Fracking itself does not involve any explosion at all. It is the pumping of water based fluids into rocks at great depths, at least 1 mile down, or more and usually 1 mile horizontally, which allow the cracks between the rocks to open up. Solid but porous material is then pumped in to keep the crack open. This specially designed, and very expensive, material is spherical with a diameter measured in microns. Having worked on fracks in built up areas of Europe, the only thing you actually hear is the roar of all the pumps that are required to achieve the operation. If you are mechanically minded it is very impressive indeed and the operation is planned down to the smallest detail as again, it is very expensive. A fracking operation can cost upwards of a million dollars or more, so you can bet care is taken. This lasts about 1- 2 hours and then all is quiet. As the final diameter of the hole drilled to make the frack is about 6 inches, then the amount of rock actually removed is miniscule. One could compare this to coal mining where long large tunnels are left underground at shallow depths, and yes, these do collapse in time. All parts of the drilled hole from surface down are lined with high quality steel and this is cemented in place. There is absolutely no contact with any surface horizons which may contain water aquifers.

If anyone has driven through Lincolnshire they may have seen 'nodding donkeys' in the fields. These mark oil wells drilled in the 40's and if you removed the actual 'donkey' all you would see is a 6 foot high piece of pipework in the ground. That is all that is left after the operation has been completed. This then connects to any pipeline to collect the oil or gas. I can take one to exploration oilwells drilled in the Cotswolds in the 70's where I worked, but you would see absolutely nothing on the ground as these were dry wells. The well is filled with cement before any surface steel is cut and removed.

Some may refer to the Macondo well in the Gulf and state that there are risks. Yes, everything has risks especially if things are not followed to plan, but fracking has probably the lowest risk category you can envisage. Mind you I am always amused to see the protesters gathering for their demos, having driven to the site using fossil fuels, and talking to each other on mobiles made from plastics, again derived from fossil fuels. They then pop off to the local pub for refreshments and complain if the central heating is not on.

That is my tuppenceworth.

I think it's the unknowns, that concern a lot of people, myself included.

It's not just digging chuffing great holes and then filling 'em back in again and grassing it all over when they're done..it's this, irreversible, pumping of a cocktail of chemicals into the ground and the possibility of contaminating water tables etc..

And we have hose pipe bans if we have a week of sunshine,after a "milder than usual" winter as it is.. So where's all this "water" coming from...?..and just asimportantly , where's all of the contaminated stuff going to go after...?

pepe63 - 2014-11-27 4:28 PM

It's not just digging chuffing great holes and then filling 'em back in again and grassing it all over when they're done..it's this, irreversible, pumping of a cocktail of chemicals into the ground and the possibility of contaminating water tables etc..

And we have hose pipe bans if we have a week of sunshine,after a "milder than usual" winter as it is.. So where's all this "water" coming from...?..and just asimportantly , where's all of the contaminated stuff going to go after...?

I'm sure that once the compensation packages are worked out, fracking will suddenly become acceptable all over the place.

:-D

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2014-11-27 5:13 PM

I'm sure that once the compensation packages are worked out, fracking will suddenly become acceptable all over the place.

It's gotta be better than these dam windmills *-) .............

pelmetman - 2014-11-27 5:36 PM

Same rules apply to both don't they ?

;-)

Guest Peter James

Greedy Lawyers and Nimbys had already seen the Frackers off before the oil price dropped, so I don't think they will be back until the rest of the worlds oil has run out.

pelmetman - 2014-11-27 5:36 PM

But if it ever transpired that these "windmills" were somehow contaminating the water table(or were using up disproportionate quantities of much needed water) they could simply be taken down...

With "fracking", once they've pumped millions of gallons a Christ knows what into the ground, that's not an option that's available :-S

Archived