ARE COPIES OK

trickydicky

You must carry the originals copies are not acceptable. If you are involved in an incident and can not produce your original V5 you could have your vehicle impounded.

From experience I know the French will not issue a crime report if a vehicle is involved until they see the V5.

I don't worry about it I just leave them in the glove box, most of the time leave the passports in the van as well, I leave copies at home and online.

As Lenny says, the official requirement is the original of the V5C, an MoT test cert if relevant, driving licence (both parts if photocard), and insurance certificate. If you choose to take copies instead, you risk penalties if they are demanded by the police. This is true for all EU countries, and most European countries outside the EU. It is wise to carry scanned copies on SD cards or similar, just in case. You should, generally, carry your passport with you at all times, so that you can establish your identity if required to do so. Under some circumstances a photocard driving licence may be accepted in lieu.

Copies are not accepted unless they are Noterised by a Notery here in Spain.

I always have the original log book equivalent and permission to drive documents in the glove, its a Brits thing here to carry copies

When stopped I just show my Photo Driving License no problems, also use it for card purchases when asked for ID.

As has been mentioned if you have an accident then you will need the original to save you having mega problems.

BrianK

The MOT cert is produced by the testing station and just how you would tell any copies from the original escapes me. The station I use prints the cert on green paper on the grounds its easier for the customer to find and cheaper to buy. The V5 is little better in terms of a roadside check.

A neat file with copies speedily produced in a co-operative manner works wonders. Carry the originals in a difficult to find place if you want to cover all the bases but remember few foriegn officials will have seen or have an original document to compare a copy with.

George Collings - 2014-11-14 9:07 AM

A neat file with copies speedily produced in a co-operative manner works wonders. Carry the originals in a difficult to find place if you want to cover all the bases but remember few foriegn officials will have seen or have an original document to compare a copy with.

Although I'd very much agree, I suppose we have to accept that not everyone would be "co-operative", (nor I dare say, polite) and if they could "officially" produce a photocopy, then who knows what crumpled, fast draft, black and white, barely legible mess they may produce?..:-S

I suppose by at least having the official line that they must be originals, it does away with any grey areas and offers some sort of conistancy.?.

George Collings - 2014-11-14 9:07 AM.................. Carry the originals in a difficult to find place if you want to cover all the bases but remember few foriegn officials will have seen or have an original document to compare a copy with.

Hello George. I'm not sure this is necessarily the case. I understood that when the "new" format V5C was introduced it was part of a harmonisation process under which all EU states adopted the same basic form, with only the language changing. I thought that was the main reason DVLA issued the new form for vehicles already registered. Then, foreign officials don't need to be able to read English, providing they know where on the form to look for the information they want.

All insurance certificates have the compulsory multi lingual statements on the back re min third party cover - which, together with the dates, is all the authorities will be interested in?

The present oddball is the vehicle test, where there is no commonality across states - though I understand that is still under discussion.

Brian is right you need the originals, you don't need the paper part of your driving license (the Spanish police don't know what it is) but you do need your V5 and insurance, there's no need to carry your passport, they are happy with you DL as ID as its almost identical to their ID cards,

if you lose you docs you can get copies when you get home, a V5 has no value to a thief, the only pain is if you lose your passport, one of our party lost his, no problem getting out of Holland but a bit tricky getting past customs in Newcastle!

I speak from experience having been stopped by the police in most European countries (usually for speeding on a motorbike)

markh1 - 2014-11-14 11:11 AM

Brian is right you need the originals, you don't need the paper part of your driving license (the Spanish police don't know what it is) but you do need your V5 and insurance, there's no need to carry your passport, they are happy with you DL as ID as its almost identical to their ID cards, ..........

This may be true for Spain but, unless you only ever visit Spain, and always get there by using the Santander/Bilbao ferries, it is not necessarily "safe" information. Not all EU states are as Spain, they all differ.

Come on Brian ..if you take all original documents as I suggested (Ins .V5 Driving license Passport MOT EHIC etc) you wont have any problems regarding ID if stopped in any country.There maybe harmonisation on its way for some information but I wouldnt bank on it at the moment..

Why does this question of what to carry only come up regarding Spain surely the same applies to other countries Germany Sweden Norway etc.

Just as aside what documentation would I need If I visit the UK with my Spanish Reg van and Spanish EU license.???

BrianK

Eh? I thought that was exactly what I said Brian? Take the originals.

I was disagreeing with the bit about the paper counterpart to the UK driving licence and passport. I rather suspect that whether or not they may be demanded will depend on why one has been stopped. The paper counterpart is hardly bulky so, IMO, better taken. It is part of the licence (and no, I don't know why that info can't be incorporated into a chip either!). I have a very simple approach. The police in Span (and elsewhere) carry guns, and I choose not to argue with men who carry guns, so I take the lot! So far it has worked, and I have never been asked for any documentation! :-)

The reason the question is asked only in relationship to Spain is presumably because so many on here just trek off there for the winter, discounting France (unwisely IMO) as they are only transiting, and then assume that what goes in Spain must be true for all the other EU countries that they don't visit.

Logically, the requirement for a Spanish registered and insured vehicle would be the same as for all other EU countries: the originals.

sshortcircuit - 2014-11-14 7:55 AM

When out of UK all original documents are secreted within the MH. Only documents I carry are the E111, a credit card and organ donation card.

Not worth the hassle if I take them out and loose them and only useful if somebody is going to steal the MH which I think I am way down the priority list.

Indeed you are. The tealeaves are only interested in quality German vehicles.

Brian,

My point obout copies is that colour photcopies are very difficult to tell from an original. The V5 is on a heavy paper but unless there is an original to compare it with its unlikely that a copy would be spotted in a routine check. Most other docs are by standard rather than security printers so how is a copy detectable.

I expect that like the UK most EU countries the Vehicle Registration databases are accessible to the police and judicial systems and perhaps for insurance and roadworthiness checks as well.

Don't disagree at all George. We take the originals, and leave scans at home, plus carry copies of the scans with us so that we can prove their existance should the van and/or the originals get nicked. It may be a bit of overkill, but once the scans are made copying the files to other media takes seconds, so why not? Paper copies can easily be printed from the scans, if required. I feel more comfortable that way, but I guess that's just me. :-)

Brian Kirby - 2014-11-14 7:32 PM

Eh? I thought that was exactly what I said Brian? Take the originals.

I was disagreeing with the bit about the paper counterpart to the UK driving licence and passport. I rather suspect that whether or not they may be demanded will depend on why one has been stopped. The paper counterpart is hardly bulky so, IMO, better taken. It is part of the licence.

Ok all clear Brian,but the paper part would be of no interest if stopped if you have the credit card size license that would be accepted,as for passports you would have this with you anyway in the van if required.

It has been mentioned that the copies these days are so good it would be difficult to tell the difference without a sample for comparison for instance the V5 .I believe the originals have a water mark and so dont think the Trafico cant tell a copy from an original they,ve been doing this for a few years now.

BrianK

You have to carry driver's licence, log book and MOT. Insurance is not necessary, because the police can check by computer, but recommended in case there is a problem with this. I wouldn't imagine they would do that for a foreign vehicle.You can carry photocopies "fotocopis compulsadas" which are photocopies that have been certified BY AN APPROVED BODY.

It seems clear to me that you have to carry the originals.

Archived