ARE COPIES OK

trickydicky

Re Brian's comments

....................................................I understood that when the "new" format V5C was introduced it was part of a harmonisation process under which all EU states adopted the same basic form, with only the language changing. I thought that was the main reason DVLA issued the new form for vehicles already registered. Then, foreign officials don't need to be able to read English, providing they know where on the form to look for the information they want.

-------------------------------------

I understood the reason the 'new' V5's were issued was due to a large number of thefts of bulk certificates and forged copies of the old type V5.

--------------------------------------

All insurance certificates have the compulsory multi lingual statements on the back re min third party cover - which, together with the dates, is all the authorities will be interested in?

The present oddball is the vehicle test, where there is no commonality across states - though I understand that is still under discussion..........................................

=============================

Interesting that 'copies' of the insurance certificate are unacceptable and that it has information printed on the back, as my insurance certificate was printed by me on my printer as the insurance company only sends an e-mailed file and no hard copy. It is just as printed on the front there is no printing on the back and I can make as many copies as I desire!

I believe you will find most insurance companies are moving this way and I am sure that with a company like SAGA, they offer both alternatives by the way, it is not just a 'fly by night' company that is doing it.

So my situation would be interesting should I ever be stopped, I don't have a photocard driving license, my MOT is printed on plain paper and so is my insurance certificate.

Bas

Basil - 2014-11-16 6:01 PM..............I understood the reason the 'new' V5's were issued was due to a large number of thefts of bulk certificates and forged copies of the old type V5.................Bas

You may well be right on this Basil, my impression was otherwise but it was not definitive.

Your certificate should have the international declaration on its reverse. Are you sure there wasn't a page two somwhere? I don't know whether it is a legal requirement, but it would certainly make satisfying the police a lot easier should they want to see your insurance.

Brian Kirby - 2014-11-16 7:25 PM

Basil - 2014-11-16 6:01 PM..............I understood the reason the 'new' V5's were issued was due to a large number of thefts of bulk certificates and forged copies of the old type V5.................Bas

You may well be right on this Basil, my impression was otherwise but it was not definitive.

Your certificate should have the international declaration on its reverse. Are you sure there wasn't a page two somwhere? I don't know whether it is a legal requirement, but it would certainly make satisfying the police a lot easier should they want to see your insurance.

Yes there is a page two, IMC, French, German, Italian, and Spanish, info

Basil - 2014-11-16 6:01 PM

I understood the reason the 'new' V5's were issued was due to a large number of thefts of bulk certificates and forged copies of the old type V5.

--------------------------------------

Bas

I think that is right Bas.

A lorry load of thousands of blank forms was stolen way back in 2006 -

causing a massive increase in " cloned " cars appearing on the used car market.

The new forms were part of the action taken to solve the problem -

:-|

....I think there is truth in both versions.

The recent change from a blue to red V5C was certainly due to a large number of stolen blanks in circulation.

Somewhat further back, however, around the millennium, a revised document was released to cope with elements of EU harmonisation.

Brian Kirby - 2014-11-17 12:23 AM

Such diplomacy! :-) I'll settle for 50% correct, and Basil can have the other 50%! Deal? :-D

....cheeky sod! 70/30 in favour of Basil!

(...since you referred to it as the V5C, and I think the harmonised V5 was termed the the V5C, which was then later changed from blue to red).

;-)

I understand that the red V5Cs were issued to give better information and that initially DVLA did not plan to issue replacements for Blue V5Cs instead just planning to replace them with Red as changes occurred.

However in retrospect because stolen (blue) V5s in existence were causing a problem they were all changed.

In my own case I got a new (Red) V5C for my van to replace the blue originally issued. The AA website has an explanation.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg-new-look-red-v5c.html

I carry originals and copies - but last tiem we went I forgot to pack the documents for our towed car, Rang a friend who has a house key and got him to post them to our site - and they only took four days to appear. I got the envelop addressed with the MH reg number so the Warden would recognise who should get them and he came strolling over with them!

We'd never been asked to produce vehicle documents on any previous trip (in nearly 20 years) but Sod's Law might just have operated. We carried on using the car during the wait for the documents.

As regards the counterpart part of a photocard driving licence they will no longer be issued after 1st January 2015 and government advice is that they can be destroyed after (but not before) that date.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

Personally I will be keeping mine (for record and historic purposes) but it is one less thing to carry.

Note as above link that you need to keep your paper licence if you don't have a photocard.

HymerVan - 2014-11-19 3:56 AM

As regards the counterpart part of a photocard driving licence they will no longer be issued after 1st January 2015 and government advice is that they can be destroyed after (but not before) that date.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

Personally I will be keeping mine (for record and historic purposes) but it is one less thing to carry.

Note as above link that you need to keep your paper licence if you don't have a photocard.

Thanks for this Laurence, I was unaware of the change.

We were pulled in last year in Germany, our documents were checked, the policeman said "these are copies" !! yes they were but good ones I don't know how he knew :-D O.H was talking to him about the football asking him if Germany was going to win the cup!! he said NO they were as bad as Middlesbrough !! he was very friendly and thank goodness let us off 8-) but next year the originals will be hidden in the safe, I think we were very lucky.

maggyd - 2014-11-19 9:48 PM

We were pulled in last year in Germany, our documents were checked, the policeman said "these are copies" !! yes they were but good ones I don't know how he knew :-D O.H was talking to him about the football asking him if Germany was going to win the cup!! he said NO they were as bad as Middlesbrough !! he was very friendly and thank goodness let us off 8-) but next year the originals will be hidden in the safe, I think we were very lucky.

THIS YEAR (lol) just seems like last year!!

The French equivalent to the V5C is grey and has to be in the car - absolutely. You also have to have the insurance on the windscreen. I would therefore think the originals are required although when I applied for my French residents card they wanted copies of all the information that I had to provide.

No original driving licence and an instant find of over £100 - they do not allow you to take it later to the station. I know this from personal experience.

The French police do not have access to the UK registration database - hence they cannot send you speeding fines etc. Apparently the UK did not sign up to the agreement (forgot the name) but, of course if caught in the act, they can give you an on-the-spot fine. However, I think this is about to change so be careful!

I am unsure of the reluctance to carry the V5C by so many of you - it does not show that you own the vehicle and copies can be obtained for a fee which is not too onerous. I found this out because I thought that I had lost the one for my car but found that I had left it in France.

As others have said, I download all my insurances so they are all copies.

EU directive (2011/82/EU) came into force in Member States across Europe in November 2013 to facilitate cross-border exchange of information on road safety related traffic offences to ensure that drivers are punished for offences committed abroad.

Aimed at speeding, drink/drug driving, failure to wear seatbelts/crash helmets and use of mobile phone offences, directive 2011/82/EU enables drivers to be identified and prosecuted for offences committed in a Member State other than the one where their vehicle is registered.

The UK opted out so if you don't get stopped and fined for it they can't pursue you, however for parking fines they will pursue you though a debt collection agency in UK

markh1 - 2014-11-20 3:36 PM

The UK opted out so if you don't get stopped and fined for it they can't pursue you, however for parking fines they will pursue you though a debt collection agency in UK

AIUI from recent news stories, the above EU directive is of dubious legal background (having been implemented under the wrong "headline" of crime and police cooperation).

Whilst it is still temporarily in force, awaiting new legislation under the road safety headline, the UK opt-out is operative.

Any replacement, however (mandated and expected in the next year) will not allow an opt-out (because this does not apply to road-safety measures).

In less than a year, then, it is probable that such offences will be enforceable across all EU states, including the UK.

Be careful out there!

Archived