DRL lights

Martyn22

Need help to get DRL led strips off my headlights . l thought it would help my auto electrician if I stuck my DRL lights to the headlights before he did the wiring how wrong l was now connected the LEDs shine to the side. I have spoken to the supplier how tells me thay are fitted upside down but so far has given me no sugestion as how to remove them safely for reuse. Tape on there back is 3 m has anyone managed to remove this type of tape fixing and how did you do it ?

You are 100% certain that the DRL-strips are the wrong way up? (This may seem a daft question, but i’ve known instances where people have attempted to correct a non-existent problem.)

You could try (carefully) warming up the DRL-strip with a hair-drier or heat-gun, though if the product is designed to stick on a headlamp the adhesive-tape is likely to be heat-tolerant. Even if heating allowed you to remove the DRL-strips, I’m not sure how effective the adhesive would be afterwards.

If heat did not work, you'd need to employ a mechanical removal method, like spospe’s cheese-wire suggestion or using a Stanley-knife blade. This type of tape is a 'one-shot’ product that can really grip and, if you ran any sort of cutter behind the DRL-strip, you'd almost certainly damage the fixing tape to an extent that it would need replacement.

If you GOOGLE-search on "3m tape removal” you’ll find various suggestions, but these usually relate to getting the tape off a surface, not separating (without damage) two surfaces held together by double-sided tape.

Thanks Derick having sent photos of lrds to the supplier who told me they were upside down, tried the hairdryer and Stanley knife but l must have cut into the strip and when l tried them only the first 4 LEDs lit second srip used craft knife came off better but on test none were now working. The suppler has now agreed to send me a replacement set, as l had pointed out to them there instruction sheet did not tell me that the strips needed to be fixed in a certain way. Hope to get them Tuesday/Wed

Wasn't Me - 2014-11-15 11:19 AM

Yeah why would anyone want lights fitted to the front of their motorhome.

I would have thought the reason would have been obvious (^)

Just out of interest joe90, why do they infuriate you? I am intrigued (?)

I must be missing something, every vehicle since they were invented have had lights fitted to the front, if your motorhome hasn't I'd suggest a word with the manufacturer. (!) or perhaps some are simply too dumb to use them in poor visibility, or like you apparently not knowing you already had front lights, you'll find a switch for them somewhere

Why do DRLs infuriate me , because I don't like being momentarily blinded by the bloody things, especially those hugely dazzling Audi ones, how temporarily blinding an oncoming driver is a step forward in road safety is ridiculous, and anyone driving a thumping great white shed on wheels thinking they need even more visibility seems at best bizarre, perhaps get some sirens as well and go the whole hog.

Archived