Cleaning upholstery

MISTRELYN

Hello again folks

We were showing our pride and joy to my sister yesterday and with the low sun blazing in through the window noticed how mucky the seating looked.

We have always double covered the seats in our new caravans and they always look like brand new when we sell them. The first cover is ripstop which does not allow any dust or moisture through and then a fabric bag that can be removed and washed.

Our recent purchase, Autotrail Apache 634, is coming up to 4 years old and the seats need cleaning but the covers are not removable so we are looking for advice on the best way to do it and some suggested products.

If we can get them clean we can then invest in the material for covering.

Cheers

John & Val

Any good upholstery cleaner, will do the job. We do ours with a vax cleaner for carpets and upho;stery, (as we have a Vax machine) Make sure to let it get really dry. We bring the seat cushions in the house, and leave in conservertry to dry well. Have to do the driver/passenger seats an a good dry/snny day, when you are not using van. Not sure why you want to cover the seats, as it is not a new van.Ours are 8 years old , and yes faded a bit, as we spend our time in Spainish sun, but stillOK (unless you have animals jumping all over them)

PJay

Guest Peter James

Not exactly what you are asking I know, but it may be worth mentioning that the secret of successful stain removal is to attack the stain as soon as possible - the longer it has been drying in to the fabric the harder it is to get out. I keep a detergent spray to spray on the fabric as soon as it gets stained - only takes a few seconds, even if you don't have time to clean it properly there and then the detergent stops the stain getting a hold in the fabric so you have a better chance of getting the stain out later.

If you have got black engine oil dried in to fabric you probably will never get the stain out. Interestingly the oil washes out easily, its the black stuff in the oil that stains. You can prove this by putting clean oil on a cloth and washing it.

Guest Peter James
PJay - 2014-11-16 11:53 AM

Peter

What do you use? You say detergent spray? Like Vanish??

Pjay

I just use biological washing liquid mixed with water in a spray, or whatever other detergent comes to hand - washing up liquid, a bit of vinegar, or a bar of soap rubbed on the stain to loosen it and stop it getting a hold in the fabric.

Incidentally I wonder what is the mark up on 'Vanish' since the boss of Reckit Benikser who sells it was the highest paid Director in the FTSE 100, trousering over £40 million

Thanks for the advice PJay. Haven't got a Vax but have a Morrisons down the road so could hire their Rug Doctor.

We covered the seats in the past due to having 2 Mini Schnauzers that loved mud.

We now have only one so maybe the external shower could earn its living.

Having said that the double covering certainly opens your eyes when you see the amount of dust and grit that got trapped by the ripstop each year.

We will try the clean though and see how we go.

Cheers

Hi Peter

We will get it cleaned and then adopt your idea of the spray bottle whether we cover or not. (Her who must be obeyed is currently saying not and she is the seamstress!)

We must have been neighbours a few years ago as we moved back to Cheshire from the same location as yourself, we called it Arrochar, but your location name describes it beautifully and our Scottish friends would certainly agree.

Cheers

MISTRELYN - 2014-11-17 2:32 PM

Thanks for the advice PJay. Haven't got a Vax but have a Morrisons down the road so could hire their Rug Doctor.

We covered the seats in the past due to having 2 Mini Schnauzers that loved mud.

We now have only one so maybe the external shower could earn its living.

Having said that the double covering certainly opens your eyes when you see the amount of dust and grit that got trapped by the ripstop each year.

We will try the clean though and see how we go.

Cheers

Probably worth hiring one, as it does get a lot of the water out of the cushions and carpet, but if you are not in a hurry, I would wait until the warmer weather now

Guest Peter James
MISTRELYN - 2014-11-17 2:39 PM

whether we cover or not.

Cheers

Don't do what I did and cover a sofa stored in the Garage with an old blanket to keep the dust off. Mice got under the blanket and made a nest on it 8-)

Does your handbook not tell you? Is there a table on the material so you can check with the manufacturer? Sorry for being so obvious but best to mention these just in case.

We have always used a damp cloth with varying degrees of elbow grease. Should there be a stain, we might use a specific product depending on stain.

Most of our cars had leather upholstery but we did have a couple of people carriers with cloth seats. These cars do around 1000 miles per week, and that means the drivers practically live in them, and the driver's seat particularly so, and they could get a bit grubby. We found that if the seats were well cleaned and sprayed with a product we got from Halfords, I can't remember what it's called, they would stay bright and shiny. It might help to keep the "new" look.

AGD

We bought The Vax , which vacums wet and dry and has a hose and nozzle for soaking up water from carpets/uphoslstery. (well actually we bought 4 in the end, as each of the family wanted one) got them from MAKRO, when they do a special offer at £ 49.99 plus vat (Half price) OH vacums the car with as well

Great piece of kit. Had ours for many years

PJay

Archived