Painting reversing sensors

mikejkay

I know the sensors on our previous van would sometimes be triggered by rain running down the back of the van.... :-S

So, on ours, any sort of additional coating would've been an issue...

Mike..didn't you say that they'd only fitted black because they'd initially forgotten to fit them?...if so, couldn't you just insist on them swapping then for white ones...?

(or have you had it too long now?)

pepe63 - 2014-11-16 4:34 PM

I know the sensors on our previous van would sometimes be triggered by rain running down the back of the van.... :-S

So, on ours, any sort of additional coating would've been an issue...

Mike..didn't you say that they'd only fitted black because they'd initially forgotten to fit them?...if so, couldn't you just insist on them swapping then for white ones...?

(or have you had it too long now?)

I was busy transferring thingd from the old van and by the time I spotted what had been done. I suppose that I could have insisted on white but it was Saturday afternoon and I would probably have had to wait until Monday for white ones :'( .

I've got the same problem with rain as you had. Funny, I did not have the same problem with my previous sensors. I wonder if there is a means of reducing the sensitivity (?)

mikejkay - 2014-11-16 5:08 PM

I've got the same problem with rain as you had. Funny, I did not have the same problem with my previous sensors

Unless you feel that the distance back to the selling dealer makes it a real none starter, I wonder if you could also bring that up(..along with the, "they should've been white anyway!") and use it as another reason for getting them to swap them for a different make?...and white?

pepe63 - 2014-11-16 5:51 PM

mikejkay - 2014-11-16 5:08 PM

I've got the same problem with rain as you had. Funny, I did not have the same problem with my previous sensors

Unless you feel that the distance back to the selling dealer makes it a real none starter, /QUOTE]

If I'd had a bit more energy and been prepared to wait it out I would have objected. A paint job, or even changing the sensors will be less time consuming and expensive than a 600m+ round trip through the nightmare of roadworks on the M1 >:-)

A similar thing happened to my last van. I was bloody annoyed about the black sensors on my white bumper. The Electrician responsible for it (and other electrical problems) died shortly afterwards. 8-)

If you look on ebay or Amazon, they are dirt cheap and you get a choice of colours. On my van, the wiring and connectors were bundled up behind the back bumper and easy to get at. I never did bother to change them in the end but it would have been easy enough (thanks to a lazy or unwell sparky).

mikejkay - 2014-11-16 11:13 PM

747 - 2014-11-16 11:06 PM

ebay or Amazon, they are dirt cheap and you get a choice of colours.

I have looked and it would be a cheap option. Do you know if the sensors for wired systems are the same as those for wireless systems?

To be honest, I have no idea but would doubt it. I think you would have to change like for like.

I suppose you could contact ebay and Amazon sellers as they usually have a 'Shop' as well. They might sell you a suitable set of sensors separately (that sounded like peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers). :D

Sorry, it's been a slow day. :D

Watching on and off for goodness knows how long, that was me observing one of the technicians at BMW calibrate replacement sensors.

Eventually I asked him about it and he said in no uncertain terms that it was one of the worst jobs in the workshop. Fortunately they didn't fail too often he said 8-)

Martyn

Archived