ebay/amazon inverters.?

fesspark

fesspark - 2014-11-17 9:02 PM

I am after a couple of low wattage inverters to charge shaver,phone and tablet, I have seen 75watt and 80 watt inverters used,slow charge but thats o.k, anyone have knowledge of these from amazon/ebay / They only cost a few pounds but will they last long ?

How long is a piece of string?

I would be less concerned with durability and more concerned with safety with a cheap inverter, but as long as you plug it into a fused socket and unplug it when not in use you should be OK?

I'm not knocking Ebay, but at least with Amazon you get their guarantee and support if it fails?

fesspark - 2014-11-17 9:02 PM

I am after a couple of low wattage inverters to charge shaver,phone and tablet, I have seen 75watt and 80 watt inverters used,slow charge but thats o.k, anyone have knowledge of these from amazon/ebay / They only cost a few pounds but will they last long ?

I have one. Had it for 15 years, though have not used it for some while.

Used it charge the lap top, when we had a boat, as you don't get EHU when at sea!!! Never had a problem with it then.

PJay

There’s a 2012 review here that may be helpful:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/59237/car-power-inverters-tested

It’s stating the obvious perhaps, but don’t overlook (as some Amazon negative reviews seem more than happy to do!) that, if an inverter is plugged into a dashboard-socket, that socket must be suitably cabled and fused to power the inverter. Plugging a 300W-output inverter into a socket fused for a maximum output of 10A will have totally predictable consequences.

Archived