Sites around Ypres

BIFFO

Hi and happy Christmas to all. I'm heading to Ypres to find the grave of my grand uncle and am hoping some of you can recommend a suitable site in or around Ypres. Am still researching the actual graveyard but would like to have an idea of suitable sites to park up the van.

All recommendations are welcome.

BIFFO - 2014-11-30 6:32 PM

Hi and happy Christmas to all. I'm heading to Ypres to find the grave of my grand uncle and am hoping some of you can recommend a suitable site in or around Ypres. Am still researching the actual graveyard but would like to have an idea of suitable sites to park up the van.

All recommendations are welcome.

You may not find a grave at Ypres, but get ALL the details you can before you go, ie Regiment being the main one . I found my great uncle (who I never new about) on the memorial,. I then contacted the regimental head quarters and got lots of info , re battles and dates . We also managed to get a book from the shop there about the particular battle that he died in (Hill 60). Make sure to see the ceromany at 8 pm each night, really moving experience.

There is a campsite at Juegdstadion, within walking distance of the town (google it)

PJay

PJay - 2014-11-30 8:25 PM

There is a campsite at Juegdstadion, within walking distance of the town (google it)

PJay

This is the site mentioned, it is just 10 minutes walk from the Menen Gate. We have often stayed there, but never out of season when the Reception Office is closed (you pay by credit card when the office is shut).

http://www.jeugdstadion.be/E/index.php

We also have stayed along side the canal there are parking areas either side of the road not on the road, you can also overnight in the car park further along the same road but you have to approach from the opposite end as there are bollards across the road. Not stayed at the sited since it was redeveloped a few years ago.

The Ypres site is very busy, you need to book. The card system is complicated, you need to authorise it after paying.

The 8pm last post is also very crowded, people gather an hour before the ceremony.

There is a little metal door set into the front right pillar, from the town side, behind which are books with a lst of names alphabetically and where to find them on the memorial.

A similar number of names at Tyne Cot.

There is a 40k cycle ride around the major sites.

We stayed at the campsite a few weeks ago on our way back- it is indeed complicated and fully automated. There is a barrier at the entrance to the site which you are unable to open. You have to park up then walk to reception where there is a machine something similar to a parking ticket machine in this country.

You enter your vehicle details, how long you want to stay and you credit card details. The system will then allocate you a pitch and dispense a swipe card which you then use to open the barrier to get in. You pay 16€ per night but get 2€ back when you hand in your swipe card when leaving.

There is a notice in reception which says that the toilets & showers are closed for the winter but they were open when we were there. We have been to the Last Post several times now and are moved every time, allow a few hours to visit the museum too. Remember to take a torch with you as the walk back to the site is through a park & poorly lit.

Bob

Although the machine gives you a card, you have to register it in a holder on the machine, many times seen couples waving the card at the gate before finding out about that bit.

Caravan pitches are double sized, but the motorhome ones are in threes, the Middle one having little space for an awning.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived