PR firm appointed to popularise motorhomes

Duncan MMM

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rayjsj - 2014-12-15 8:03 PM

Duncan MMM - 2014-12-15 12:14 PM

With the news that the NCC has appointed a PR firm with a 12-month brief to help popularise motorhomes (and caravans) and the motorhome lifestyle -

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/News/General/National-Caravan-Council-awards-brief-to-popularise-motorhomes/_ch1_nw3705_pg1

we are interested to know what you think of this. Is it a good idea, do you want motorhomes on the roads, more competition for parking and camping spaces, or is it the more the merrier, a chance to meet new people at sites? Does the hobby need promoting in this way or should it be word of mouth and if so, what would you say to friends to sell the motorhome lifestyle?

Duncan,

Probably not the sort of response you were hoping for ? You have to realise that without some Positive moves from UK parking authorities and Councils, the 'Dream' of Motorhome Freedom will remain just that a 'Dream' more like a nightmare. New ,purchasers will soon 'fall foul' of the restrictions

and will not thank the industry for mis-leading them. (mis-selling ??)

Ray

Your not quite right there Ray!

A newbies only hope is to be a conformist, join the monopoly clubs, pre book all their holidays months in advance and then they will have the freedom to go exactly where they are directed!

Tracker - 2014-12-15 8:06 PM

With the news that the NCC has appointed a PR firm with a 12-month brief to help popularise motorhomes (and caravans) and the motorhome lifestyle -

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/News/General/National-Caravan-Council-awards-brief-to-popularise-motorhomes/_ch1_nw3705_pg1

we are interested to know what you think of this. Is it a good idea, do you want motorhomes on the roads, more competition for parking and camping spaces, or is it the more the merrier, a chance to meet new people at sites? Does the hobby need promoting in this way or should it be word of mouth and if so, what would you say to friends to sell the motorhome lifestyle?

Duncan,

Probably not the sort of response you were hoping for ? You have to realise that without some Positive moves from UK parking authorities and Councils, the 'Dream' of Motorhome Freedom will remain just that a 'Dream' more like a nightmare. New ,purchasers will soon 'fall foul' of the restrictions

and will not thank the industry for mis-leading them. (mis-selling ??)

Ray

Your not quite right there Ray!

A newbies only hope is to be a conformist, join the monopoly clubs, pre book all their holidays months in advance and then they will have the freedom to go exactly where they are directed!

The ONLY reason I do not go 'over the water' is (1) it's a long drive just to get to Dover or Folkestone,

and (2) my missus can't walk very far, so, we have to take our car on an A-Frame ( no critical response please, I am all Argued out !). and using it in Europe appears to be a non-starter. AND No, I don't want or need a Caravan, thanks

Just think that the Industry needs to LEAN on a few Councils.

Ray

Tracker - 2014-12-15 8:04 PM

Joe90 - 2014-12-15 7:50 PM

nuff said I think.

More than enough as usual.

Colin politely made a valid point and for you to have a go at him personally is bang out of order.

I'm not sure what "valid" point he made, do you ?

I could see that despite never using his van to tour abroad, he made the point that going over the water was no different to touring in the UK...........how would he know ?

And If it's polite to say in effect people only go off to mainland europe to "roast in the Sun" well I beg to differ, he'd do well not to assume we all go to Benalmadena in our vans, that would be the polite thing to do, and that there are more reasons to get out of the UK for many of us ( including you I see ) other than as he see's it "just roasting in the Sun" ;-)

Well I wish the PR firm luck in a country where the media is generally so dismissive ( if not derisive ) of the camping / caravanning lifestyle.

But, if their campaign is successful, it's good news for France , Germany, Italy etc who will no doubt reap most of the benefits.

;-)

Guest Had Enough

People really do make the silliest arguments on here. The silliest of all is that because the CC has caravan in its name that it must be anti-motorhome. Here's a clue - it was formed over a hundred years ago when motorhomes hadn't been invented. I suppose it could retitle itself with something snappy, such as 'The Caravan, Motorhome, Trailer Tent and Fifth Wheeler Club'.

I suppose that Carphone Warehouse isn't interested in selling smartphones because it has carphone in its title?

Some of you really have no idea of how British motorhomers spend their time. I always have a UK holiday exploring somewhere I've never done in depth and have been to the Outer Hebrides, all over the Highlands and to Norfolk, the West Country, the North-East and many other places.

This summer we'd a few days on a private site in Dorset and guess what? It was full of UK motorhomes. I've just been to Durham for a few days on the CC site and guess what? Loads of UK motorhomes.

The people complaining about the UK seem to be of one type, those who will never pay for a site and want all their motorhoming as cheaply as possible. But many people like sites and in the UK we've thousands of good ones as well as the extensive CL network.

If you won't pay for sites and want aires then the UK isn't for you, unless of course you wild camp and there are thousands of wild camping locations in Britain. Join a wild camping forum and you'll get databases of them.

I loved the post above about height barriers and small car parks, obviously the writer has been to the Mediterranean coast of France or other popular places such as the Ile de Re. Talk about being made to feel unwelcome!

By avoiding mid July to the end of August, just like we do in France, we have had many great holidays in Britain and never booked a site in advance, even CC ones but again, just like France, you may have to avoid the odd honey pot destination, which in the UK may be York or Bristol.

Whether you like it or not the UK has thousands of motorhomers who happily holiday here and like me may also go to Europe. But as I said, there are thousands of motorhomers who are happy to pay for good sites and won't write off a country because it doesn't have free aires. If that's your criterion you'd better not go to Slovenia or Croatia or many other European countries.

If people are encouraged to take up motorhoming they may well eventually go abroad but if they've any sense they'll also try exploring the UK, which has some superb locations.

Some of you are missing an awful lot by ignoring Britain and I speak as one who spends three months a year in Europe as well.

The silliest arguments as you put it are being vocalised by the majority in this thread,

there are obviously a lot of silly folk about. ;-)

With the news that the NCC has appointed a PR firm with a 12-month brief to help popularise motorhomes (and caravans) and the motorhome lifestyle,

we are interested to know what you think of this. Is it a good idea, do you want motorhomes on the roads, more competition for parking and camping spaces......

Well, as has been said already, as this is just a trade body promoting its members' products, then unless we reach "saturation levels", resulting in increased parking provision( along with free/cheap "aires" having to pop up left right and centre?), then I can't see what all the fuss is about.

Will made some good points early in the thread:

Quote:

"What it does mean is that more people will be persuaded to do something without considering the costs and difficulties involved...

'Freedom to Go' is a flippant title implying go anywhere any time and will only encourage those who care not for others...".

And as for "..what would you say to friends..", well, I'd say that MHing, is of cause more than doable in the UK, although as it doesn't draw the numbers that mainland Europe does, it is therefore obviously not going to be as "MH centric" as some regions of the, more often than not sunnier, Continent... ;-)

But as they're quite bright, they'd realise that already...

Similarly, and as they've been driving for many years, it wouldn't come as any major surprise to them that without a little forethought, parking a vehicle that may be 7-8mtr+ long x 2.3mtr wide and possibly nearly 3mtrs high, in town centres/tourist "hotspots"/supermarket etc, may at times be "problematic"... (lol)

I appreciate your sentiments Pepe but given the way the large sectors of the Great British Public expect somebody else to always be responsible for anything they can't handle or accept, including their own actions, I think you maybe flatter a lot of them by implying that they are sensible and capable of thinking things through, especially when faced with a shiny new motorhome on easy payments over 10 years!

The UK provides fairly well for motorhomers who are content always to use campsites and to park away from campsites only when buying food from a supermarket. One poster on this thread , an ex-caravanner, is content with more or less just that and good luck to him.

But lots of us see the motorhoming lifestyle as much more varied than that and UK, except perhaps some of Scotland, doesn't suport it.

When you see motohomes photograhed in magazines they are often parked in places where it would indeed be nice to be able to park, to take in the view. They doubtless got special permission to park for the advertising photo of course and you can't really park there normally at all. Brian's point about selling the dream rather than the UK reality is spot on.

Perhaps the NCC will see value in joining with motorhome campaigners to open up the opporunities for a motorhoming lifestyle in UK.

Duncan,

Probably not the sort of response you were hoping for ? You have to realise that without some Positive moves from UK parking authorities and Councils, the 'Dream' of Motorhome Freedom will remain just that a 'Dream' more like a nightmare in the UK. New ,purchasers will soon 'fall foul' of the restrictions

and will not thank the industry for mis-leading them. (mis-selling ??) I am a Motorhomer who perseveres with the UK, and Love touring in our Country, But , 'Freedom to Go' it ain't.

Ray

Well, you can 'Go' just don't try to park anywhere.

Ray,

I simply wanted a range of opinions as I will be putting a lot of the perfectly valid points that have been made to the PR firm. As has been mentioned, this is a campaign designed to increase motorhome sales, but it's interesting to hear what you think about the camping and parking infrastructure that supports motorhoming.

cheers

Duncan

sheer lunar-see - 2014-12-15 7:09 PM

When the public at large see motorhomes parked up in large numbers, they will then ask the questions themselves, is this something I would like to do ?.

And when they see this large collection of large white boxes parked up for a long time in some attractive space they might also ask the question...why do they have to do this?

Tracker - 2014-12-16 9:26 AM

I appreciate your sentiments Pepe but given the way the large sectors of the Great British Public expect somebody else to always be responsible for anything they can't handle or accept, including their own actions, I think you maybe flatter a lot of them by implying that they are sensible and capable of thinking things through, especially when faced with a shiny new motorhome on easy payments over 10 years!

Agreed Rich...and it isn't just "newbies" to the hobby/pastime though, is it...

This forum has it's fair share of experienced MHs/motorists, who have a "..it's not fair..why can't I?..it's why I bought it... the council should provide X,Y & Z..." etc mindset......

(..and just to clarify, my "they're quite bright" comment was about my friends....as I'm well aware that isn't always the case across the population as a whole... (lol) )

Perhaps UK bought Motorhomes should come with a warning.

If you are happy to only use this vehicle in the UK to travel from X to Y, with " Y" being a campsite, and "X" your home address you'll get on fine.

Whatever you do don't venture over to our nearest "foreign" neighbors to see that things for the very great majority of places are done a little differently, then your ignorance will remain intact.

It is a marketing exercise with an end objective of selling a product. You would expect the promotional material to focus on the good points, features and benefits and most of all the "You appeal".

As Brian says, they do it with soap powder.

Joe90 - 2014-12-16 10:46 AM

If you are happy to only use this vehicle in the UK to travel from X to Y, with " Y" being a campsite, and "X" your home address you'll get on fine.

Well, we use our van all the time. But then we bought a small van so that we could do this, because we did have enough wit to realise that a big van is more difficult to park in a densely populated country.

Guest pelmetman
AliB - 2014-12-16 10:47 AM

It is a marketing exercise with an end objective of selling a product. You would expect the promotional material to focus on the good points, features and benefits and most of all the "You appeal".

As Brian says, they do it with soap powder.

Agreed ;-) ..............It's an exercise in soft soaping Joe public :D .................Why don't they just be honest *-) ................

"Mugs wanted with 50 to 60k"...............

Job done (lol) ..........

The Government is expected to consult on the plans to scrap the minimum size and allow local authorities to set the size of parking bays later this year as part of wider-reaching changes planned for traffic signs and road regulations.

MPs last night warned scrapping the size totally could see local authorities take advantage of their new powers to make spaces even smaller, forcing drivers into smaller eco-cars. ;-) ;-)

Looks like you'll need to downsize even further if that happens. :-)

Muswell - 2014-12-16 10:57 AM

Well, we use our van all the time. But then we bought a small van so that we could do this, because we did have enough wit to realise that a big van is more difficult to park in a densely populated country.

The Government is expected to consult on the plans to scrap the minimum size and allow local authorities to set the size of parking bays later this year as part of wider-reaching changes planned for traffic signs and road regulations.

MPs last night warned scrapping the size totally could see local authorities take advantage of their new powers to make spaces even smaller, forcing drivers into smaller eco-cars.

Looks like you'll need to downsize even further if that happens. ;-)

By the way our county is the least populated part of Wales, but is still blighted with restrictions on parking both day and night.

Guest Had Enough

Whatever you do don't venture over to our nearest "foreign" neighbors to see that things for the very great majority of places are done a little differently, then your ignorance will remain intact.

That's about as intelligent as your suggestion that because it's called the Caravan Club, it's anti-motorhomes and if you can't work that out how can we accept any argument that you make?

Why does having a motorhome mean that you can't use it in the UK? In the wonderful world of Joe90/Onefoot is it compulsory that, having bought a motorhome, you can only use it in France?

Many people motorhome successfully in the UK and who are we to criticise their choices? Many motorhome both here and abroad, me included. Many such as you are particularly unadventurous and never venture beyond France and spend their lives worrying about the dangers of using campsite showers and public lavatories.

The most unattractive thing about a certain section of the members on here is their ego-centric view of the world, where only their method of doing anything is the right one, and you exemplify that position.

Threads such as this bring out the anti-British and anti-site brigade and, as we've seen, give them the opportunity to have their usual bigoted side swipe at the major clubs, clubs which have thousands of members who enjoy their super sites and facilities.

But as usual the defining criterion in this argument is money. These same people are the ones who, having bought a motorhome, have now vowed to go on holiday and never spend an extra penny, apart from diesel fuel. If that's their choice, good luck to them but I know that this is their real problem with the UK, that they're unwilling to do anything so risky as to use any of the thousands of wild camping spots and they certainly won't be spending money on a decent site.

I love Europe and spend a lot of time there. I also love the UK and, like thousands of others have had some excellent motorhome holidays here. As I said, go on any UK site throughout the year and you'll see lots of motorhomes. Some of them will not go abroad, many do go abroad as well.

Finally, what is the most hilarious is how Joe90/Onefoot continually brags about how adventurous he is in going to France and castigates those who don't take this incredibly dangerous step and go over the Channel. You'd think he was overlanding to Mongolia! And this from a man scared of using site facilities in case he catches something!

You really couldn't make it up.

For God's sake some of you, accept that people have different views and different tastes from you. Enjoy what you do and let them enjoy what they do without your continual biased, slewed and smug denigration of those who have the temerity to be different from you.

And this also applies to the usual arrogant and and self-centred idiots who believe that only what they spend on a motorhome is the correct figure. They're not bright enough to work out that, unlike them, many people can spend tens of thousands of pounds on a decent motorhome without worrying about it and aren't forced by their own penury to drive around in old bangers that are one MOT away from the breaker's yard.

Another bad hair day by the looks of it,

just like yesterday,

and all the preceding days. ;-)

Who says money doesn't make you happy.

:D :D :D

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2014-12-16 11:35 AM

Another bad hair day by the looks of it,

just like yesterday,

and all the preceding days. ;-)

Who says money doesn't make you happy.

:D :D :D

I'm sorry you're having a bad hair day and I can assure you that not having to worry about money is one of the biggest things that contribute to happiness as you get older. Just imagine not having to keep your campervan running with bits of string, just like those old Chevvies that we see around Havana. Just imagine being able to treat yourself to a new 'van or car whenever you fancy. I can assure you, it makes me very happy as having one major thing less to worry about, I can get on with the real job of enjoying life, whereas you seem to be the most grumpy, bitter and unhappy person on this forum.

But I see that this thread is taking its usual pattern. You spout a load of silly, unthinking and biased nonsense. I shoot you down in flames with reasoned argument so you, having no intelligent answer, stoop to your usual trick of diverting from your intellectual impotence by silly and unfunny little jibes.

Have you anything sensible to add?

Next.

Joe90 - 2014-12-16 11:07 AM

MPs last night warned scrapping the size totally could see local authorities take advantage of their new powers to make spaces even smaller, forcing drivers into smaller eco-cars. ;-) ;-)

Looks like you'll need to downsize even further if that happens. :-)

God help us our parking spaces already appear to be smaller than other European countries, German spaces are huge by comparison, you can actually park without some idiot opening their door and putting a dent in your car. Also last van which was 6.8m x 2.35m never had a problem getting it into car parks & spaces in Germany.

Perhaps HE can enlighten us as to where exactly he is going to park his "Hymer Behemoth Juggernaut (De Luxe)" especially given the average UK parking space is 4.8 metres. ;-)

Archived