PR firm appointed to popularise motorhomes

Duncan MMM

They should be using what influence they have with leisure providers especially National Trust,English Heritage and theme parks,to provide overnight parking.

And the ferry port authorities should also be considered especially Dover.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeti - 2014-12-16 9:33 PM

They should be using what influence they have with leisure providers especially National Trust,English Heritage and theme parks,to provide overnight parking.

And the ferry port authorities should also be considered especially Dover.

That sounds good, and very sensible: in an ideal world.

But you are talking about apples and oranges;

the apples being the caravan and motorhome manufacturers who are just interested in selling more of their products:

and the oranges, who maybe have an interest in, or an ability to encourage more people to visit the UK, maybe by appealing to European campers, spenders of the "grey pound".

The trouble is; that they don't see the mutual benefit of cooperation.

And with all the emphasis being on reducing "public" expenditure, the "private" sector has to see some clear and significant financial benefit.

With all the emphasis in this thread on "low cost" travelling how the hell do you expect anyone to take any notice?

Even if it could contribute to the eceonomy,

regards

alan b

I'm not sure where the emphasis is on low cost, for many it's simply the comparative lack of ease of access for users of motorhomes in the UK, and the almost absolute need to make planning your next stop the first thing you do each morning by getting on the phone which may or may not be answered, which many of us find so irksome, and restricting.

You do make an interesting point though regarding users from over the channel, as whilst any site we've used over the channel resembles the league of nations with every countries number plate under the sun, it's the exception rather than the rule to see a foreign number plate here, any trip one makes from the channel ports confirms that indisputable fact, walk up and down the lines waiting to embark and they are almost exclusively UK registered motorhomes.

We live in one of the premier resorts in West Wales, and in the Snowdonia National Park, and I can say with absolute certainty foreign vans are rarer that Hens teeth here at any time.

Perhaps the UK tourist board should be taking a look why exactly that is, even though in the context of this thread it's irrelevant, perhaps overseas visitors could give a more informed opinion of why they do not come here in great numbers, perhaps Warners could get in touch with European camping car magazines and ask them to run an article on the UK as a destination, and get some feedback as to any perceptions right or wrong that prevent them coming in more numbers than they do, perhaps they may actually bring some insight that we simply lack to this whole question of Motorhoming in the UK.

Guest Had Enough
Tracker - 2014-12-16 7:34 PM

pelmetman - 2014-12-16 7:24 PM

Neither do you need to spend 10's of thousands on a camper to enjoy this hobby..................which clearly annoy's someone on here :D ................

I doubt that Dave because he is so obviously content and stress and worry free with all his money.

You can easily tell how his contentment and happiness comes across by the kindly natured postings that support the illusion of a man at ease with himself, his world and his lifestyle - or something!

Money can buy some happiness but at least you can be miserable in comfort!

Now let me think, which slimy hypocrite said this earlier in this thread?

"Come on Frank (and others) but mainly Frank, it is not a challenge to turn every topic from a discussion with various points of view into an argument where you have to have a go at anyone who you disagree with. "

And let's be clear, I don't care how much people spend on their motorhome or on any other aspect of their lives. I and many others on here though are heartily sick of one man who constantly pushes down our throats his views on how much to spend on motorhomes. Perhaps he thinks that everyone is as skint as him. Here's a bit of news, many of us aren't. His obvious jealousy is very sad and I really pity him, not because he's poor, but because he's clearly ridden with envy of anyone who is cleverer or better off than him. Which is almost everyone of course.

And as for my lifestyle, I've been out again with friends this evening whilst you've been doing what you do most nights, sitting at home and coming on this forum. If you knew anything about my life you really would be envious when compared to yours.

Now practise what you're always preaching and stop your nasty little digs. As we all know, despite your sickening Mr Nice Guy act the real Tracker always emerges within hours.

Guest Had Enough
Colin Leake - 2014-12-16 7:36 PM

We talk to any one and everyone when we are on holiday and I must say that some of,those we have made friends with have motorhomes that make you,wonder how they ever managed to get them through the MOT. Strange fact is they seem to be enjoying themselves every bit as much as we do in our gleaming new motorhomes.

And why shouldn't they enjoy themselves? I enjoyed myself when we had a tent and then a £350 second-hand caravan.

But it's when people with old motorhomes start telling you that you're an idiot for having the temerity to have a nice new motorhome and even start entire threads about the joy of old bangers that their egocentric arrogance becomes utterly boring. They then include their views in their signature and to make matters worse stuff their politics down our throats all the time as well.

But we all know that if Great Aunt Hilda dies and leaves them a million quid the first thing they'll buy is a new motorhome!

Sad hypocrites some people I'm afraid.

I don't know of anyone else on here who insists that only his financial class of motorhome is the right one. No one else is so arrogant, boring and utterly stupid. The rest of us accept that people have different incomes and we also accept that what they want to spend is up to them and no business of anyone else.

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2014-12-16 10:50 PM

I'm not sure where the emphasis is on low cost, for many it's simply the comparative lack of ease of access for users of motorhomes in the UK, and the almost absolute need to make planning your next stop the first thing you do each morning by getting on the phone which may or may not be answered, which many of us find so irksome, and restricting.

Utter tripe. The UK is no different from France if you go in the high season. If you don't you have no need to book. In France I have even found aires in popular spots full up by mid-afternoon and in Annecy this year in the third week of August most sites were full. We eventually got a pitch on an overflow field for one site. And as for the horrible cramped and sloping aire, no thanks as that was full as well.

I'm beginning to believe that you've never really motorhomed in Britain, so ludicrous are your assumptions,

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-12-16 11:07 PM

And let's be clear, I don't care how much people spend on their motorhome or on any other aspect of their lives. I and many others on here though are heartily sick of one man who constantly pushes down our throats his views on how much to spend on motorhomes. Perhaps he thinks that everyone is as skint as him. Here's a bit of news, many of us aren't. His obvious jealousy is very sad and I really pity him, not because he's poor, but because he's clearly ridden with envy of anyone who is cleverer or better off than him. Which is almost everyone of course.

aunt:D ................

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-12-16 11:17 PM

We talk to any one and everyone when we are on holiday and I must say that some of,those we have made friends with have motorhomes that make you,wonder how they ever managed to get them through the MOT. Strange fact is they seem to be enjoying themselves every bit as much as we do in our gleaming new motorhomes.

And why shouldn't they enjoy themselves? I enjoyed myself when we had a tent and then a £350 second-hand caravan.

But it's when people with old motorhomes start telling you that you're an idiot for having the temerity to have a nice new motorhome and even start entire threads about the joy of old bangers that their egocentric arrogance becomes utterly boring. They then include their views in their signature and to make matters worse stuff their politics down our throats all the time as well.

But we all know that if Great Aunt Hilda dies and leaves them a million quid the first thing they'll buy is a new motorhome!

I don't know of anyone else on here who insists that only his financial class of motorhome is the right one. No one else is so arrogant, boring and utterly stupid. The rest of us accept that people have different incomes and we also accept that what they want to spend is up to them and no business of anyone else.

Silly aunt *-) ..........

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2014-12-17 8:15 AM

Silly aunt *-) ..........

Two (and a double!)

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2014-12-17 9:49 AM

His prawn starter obviously upset his tummy

HE certainly came home in a bad mood :D ......................

You'd think at this time of year with all the consumerists queuing at his door HE'd be more cheerful *-) ..............

For the benefit of HE, I've been doing motorhoming for the past 45 years, in the first 20 odd years in the UK when work and family commitments meant trips of no more than a couple of weeks at any one time,and did all the headline places that appealed to us then, this was our first van that somehow we managed to shoe horn our two daughters in ( below ) . So I think I'm entitled to say I've got a track record.

Going over the channel for the first time in a van ( obviously we'd come on a bit from the old Commer pop top ), was a revelation compared to the UK, I make no apologies,AFAIC it was then, and still is a far better experience than ever was the case in the UK, but that's my own personal opinion, others see it differently, well that's fine.

1247698155_ourfirstvan(2).jpg.1938fd833ede4a61028944b1c7fc0a13.jpg

pelmetman - 2014-12-17 10:19 AM

antony1969 - 2014-12-17 9:49 AM

His prawn starter obviously upset his tummy

HE certainly came home in a bad mood :D ......................

You'd think at this time of year with all the consumerists queuing at his door HE'd be more cheerful *-) ..............

But HE is happy Dave .... Oh no HE isn't ... Oh yes HE is .... Repeated

antony1969 - 2014-12-17 10:51 AM

He's Behind you!!!!

The pantomime season has started early this year - not that it ever closed from last year, or the year before..............

You gotta smile - well you don't have to - but most of us do!

Guest Had Enough
Joe90 - 2014-12-17 10:38 AM

For the benefit of HE, I've been doing motorhoming for the past 45 years, in the first 20 odd years in the UK when work and family commitments meant trips of no more than a couple of weeks at any one time,and did all the headline places that appealed to us then, this was our first van that somehow we managed to shoe horn our two daughters in ( below ) . So I think I'm entitled to say I've got a track record.

Going over the channel for the first time in a van ( obviously we'd come on a bit from the old Commer pop top ), was a revelation compared to the UK, I make no apologies,AFAIC it was then, and still is a far better experience than ever was the case in the UK, but that's my own personal opinion, others see it differently, well that's fine.

Three, the entire CMC. Bingo! Some of them about three times! I'm very happy!

Which say's more about you than anyone of us could. ;-)

Back to the thread though, but perhaps the PR firm will need to dispel the myth that motorhoming isn't reserved for grumpy half dead old men with or without money, and too much time on their hands..........and yes I do include myself in that description, roll on spring. ;-)

There's only one problem with retirement, you don't need to look forward to the weekend. :-)

Quite right but i must say I could never get on with our tent. Probably because we used to use it during the colder months in the early days when the boys were racing model cars all over the UK. One night at an exposed track near Southampton was the final straw when it was so cold and windy we had to get up and turn the beds round to stop the wind blowing into our sleeping bags. Old frame tent was quickly replaced with a Sprite caravan, no toilet, no fridge and a foot operated water pump for cold water only but it served us well for many years.

Colin Leake - 2014-12-17 11:38 AM

Sprite caravan, no toilet, no fridge and a foot operated water pump for cold water only but it served us well for many years.

Sprite 400?

Memories eh Colin?

Did you have a toilet tent?

Freezing cold at night and like a sauna by day - but even more fun in the wind and rain - and you dare not use a light at night!

We soon sold it and bought an Alpine with - joy of joys - in inside loo!

Then a year later rediscovered motorhomes and have never looked back!

Had Enough - 2014-12-17 11:06 AM

Three, the entire CMC. Bingo! Some of them about three times! I'm very happy!

Awwww shucks he's suckered me in again that superhero HEman ... One day I won't fall into his deadly trap !!!

... I've been doing motorhoming for the past 45 years, in the first 20 odd years in the UK when work and family commitments meant trips of no more than a couple of weeks at any one time,and did all the headline places that appealed to us then, this was our first van that somehow we managed to shoe horn our two daughters in ( below ) . So I think I'm entitled to say I've got a track record.

But surely 1foot/Joe, that is exactly what some of us are always trying to get over?...

As, due to work and commitments, camping in the UK suited your requirements and appealed to you back then, why then is it so wrong(and to be sneered at) that it suites others now?... :-S

If you had taken the advice that you and a few others now give, namely "forget all about the UK", then due to, as you say,"work and family commitments", you may have been put off having a van altogether...?... :-S

Guest Had Enough
pepe63 - 2014-12-17 12:09 PM

... I've been doing motorhoming for the past 45 years, in the first 20 odd years in the UK when work and family commitments meant trips of no more than a couple of weeks at any one time,and did all the headline places that appealed to us then, this was our first van that somehow we managed to shoe horn our two daughters in ( below ) . So I think I'm entitled to say I've got a track record.

But surely 1foot/Joe, that is exactly what some of us are always trying to get over?...

As, due to work and commitments, camping in the UK suited your requirements and appealed to you back then, why then is it so wrong(and to be sneered at) that it suites others now?... :-S

If you had taken the advice that you and a few others now give, namely "forget all about the UK", then due to, as you say,"work and family commitments", you may have been put off having a van altogether...?... :-S

And there you have it. It's all down to a sneering arrogance that only what they do is right. The right price of motorhome, the right destinations, the right type of camping, site, wild or aires.

Only they are right but then of course they sneer about booking in advance and using sites before doing exactly the same thing and setting up a mobile slum for a mind-numbingly boring three months.

You really couldn't make it up!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-12-17 10:54 AM

antony1969 - 2014-12-17 10:51 AM

He's Behind you!!!!

The pantomime season has started early this year - not that it ever closed from last year, or the year before..............

You gotta smile - well you don't have to - but most of us do!

Widow Twanky's got the right hump 8-) ..............

Archived