Truma CP plus

bolero boy

has anyone had experience of the latest control unit for Truma Combi systems, called the CP plus?

this allows much more control over the system, for example, getting away from the seemingly random performance of the fan speed.

this can now be controlled to deliver higher fan speeds even when running on low electric supplies, which was not possible before due to the fan speed being proportional to the amount of heat available....

this unit can also provide timer programmable heating and (boosted) hot water.....

looks like a real improvement, any one with experience.....? Lenny, do you have this in your Exsis?

Lennyhb has mentioned that he retrofitted a CP Plus to his Exsis, so should be able to provide hands-on advice.

If I remember correctly, retrofitting a CP Plus control-panel to a ‘CP Plus-ready’ Combi heater is relatively straightforward and just needs the original dial-type control(s) to be replaced. (I believe the definition of a ‘CP Plus-ready’ Combi is one with a black outer casing.)

There is also a Truma retrofit kit for older Combis (ones with a grey outer casing) and - as well as the CP Plus control-panel - the kit includes a replacement PCB that needs to be fitted to the heater itself. I think the cost of the kit exceeds £300.

Hi Chris, I retro fitted a CP-Plus to my Exsis.

It works very well, allows the heating temperature to be set between 0 - 30 deg, hot water the normal 40 & 60 there is a boost for the hot water which overrides the heating turning heat off until water is at 62 deg (only ever use ours on 40). Fan speed 2 settings ECO & HIGH, on HIGH it just runs full blast, on ECO it behaves similar to using with the Classic controller however the fan speed appears to be much more finely controlled, once up to temp the fan runs very slowly very quiet. The thermostat is much more accurate and maintains the van at a constant temperature, it can also be calibrated by +/- 5 deg so you can compensate for the position of the fixed sensor.

The timer allows on/off times to be set for either water or heat or both, the only disappointment with the unit is you can only set one time period.

Edit:

If you have a CP-Plus ready C4 or C6 it just plugs into the existing control cable and you need a live feed just for the panel about 30ma I think (I connected it to the battery sense wire on the control panel).

Retail just for the controller is around £250 (I called in some favors and didn't pay anything like that).

If I'd had to pay £250 I probably wouldn't have brought it, but now having used it if I had known how much better it makes the system I think I would, if that makes sense.

Chris, are you still looking at the C-Tourer?

Lenny, thats great info, i guessed it would be a bit more controllable with the hot water boost being a good feature.

I'm not retro fitting, tho i think we do have a compliant PCB in our unit, we are getting a C-Tourer 148 in early January. I'll give you some more details in the next couple of weeks....it is here, I have seen it, been in it, have had the engineer map out all our locations for sky system, TVs, inverters, sat system, solar panel, sockets etc, etc, its just what we wanted.

more later, no doubt.

It’s been suggested on some Continental motorhome-related websites that 2015 models with Truma Combi heaters should have the CP Plus control-panel as standard, but I believe that’s wrong. There’s a mention in an Italian website review of a 2014-model C-Tourer T 145H that this had a CP Plus system, so presumably your 2015 Carthago also has it.

I’ve looked at a few French motorhome forums where retrofitting the CP Plus control-panel has been asked about. Apparently a ‘CP Plus-ready’ Combi is not merely a Combi with a black outer casing - it’s a Combi with a black outer casing that was manufactured after a specific date.

With a ‘CP+ ready’ Combi retro-fitting is (as lennhb says) straightforward; otherwise a replacement PCB is required (and, possibly, a replacement wiring harness too). Evidently Truma would exchange an old-specification PCB for the revised type. Though the exchange was not free of charge, it did reduce the otherwise prohibitive cost of a Combi PCB.

Carthago's all have them now, Hymer were supposed to fitting them as standard from February this year however my van was built in Feb and came with the Classic controller & dealer said 90% of the vans were coming through with the Classic. 2015 model Hymers I would expect to all have the CP-Plus.

Archived