travel to portugale march

pw9crab

There were 3 articals published in mmm. By Brian Faitbrother, they have many routes through France to Spain, and Portugal. He also gives advice on campsites and aires. It really is a good body of work. Would begood to get back copies of these. We leave for costa del sol 11 jan. Have a good trip, if u dont manage to get the articals PM me your email.

I am going the same route on March, there are Aires (free and pay) on route and plenty of parking for a nights stop.

I have done the route many times so experience allows me to find a nights stop without problems.

May I suggest a copy of "Camperstop Europe" without a doubt the best publication for a good range of overnight stops. It is available from Vicarious Books amongst many others.

I don't stop on motorway areas but apart from that Spain is pretty safe.

Just choose a place from the book, drive there using satnav and if there is someone else staying there, say hello and set up for the night. I might be there!

H

The Pamplona route is fine, the city is worth a visit as well.

thanks for your reply as where new to forum its great to get information from well travelled people ferry now booked Portsmouth to st malo so hoping for first night stop saints area on aire on then to burgos is it wise to wild camp in this area any help please

I went to Portugal 2 years ago leaving UK end of April and entered Spain at St Jean du Luz and the used aires at Vitoria Gaste/

Palencia/ Caceres. Then ACSI campsite at El Rocio. this town is well worth a look as it is like an old western town from the old cowboy films. You can then cross over to the Algarve , fIrst stop aire at Castro Marim

Here are some GPS coordinates for sites.

Bordeaux, Beau Soleil: N44.75562 W0.62762 (actually at Gradignan). Private site, open all year. Bus to city.

Burgos, Municipal Fuentes Blancas: N42.34129 W3.65769. City within walking distance along banks of Alanzon.

Salamanca, Camping Ruta de la Plata: N40.99953 W5.67898. Bus to city.

Caceres, Municipal Ciudad de Caceres: N39.48860 W6.41275. Bus to city.

Merida, Camping El Viviero: N38.93541 W6.30488. About 3 miles out, but was nearest we could find. Drove in and parked in secure, pay, car park here: N38.91903 W6.33607.

Seville, Camping Villsom: N37.27759 W5.93648. (Actually at Dos Hermanas). Bus to city.

For Faro we stayed at Olhao, here: Parque de Campismo do Sindicato dos Bancarios do Sul et Ilhas: N37.03522 W7.82235, and caught a bus to Faro. TBH, we weren't that impressed with either, but quite a few spend the winter on the site, so it must have some appeal!

Hope this helps.

Thank you Brian everyone has been so helpful on the forum we never thought people would help so much we have now brought the Aires books for Spain and Portugal also France ,we are going to spend a few weeks in Portugal and then move on to Spain in the Malaga area looking to visit Gibraltar not taking the motorhome as we have read its better to visit Gib by coach do you agree with this or not we would be pleased to hear your view

We have twice stayed at cabapino campsite, and will be again this year. The expat community organise a minibus into Gib. every week, need to get their morrisons fix! The site is not everyones cup of tea, but maybe we are easily pleased. We will be there in Feb. Safe journey and enjoy.

Thanks for that could you tell us the prices to stay at Cabapino campsite please also what's not every ones cup of tea ? we are quite easy to please also can we use our ACSI card as we only want to stay approx. 2 may be 3 weeks as by then I will have itchy feet My wife is also asking what the weather is like in march thanks a lot Ken

pw9crab - 2015-01-03 5:49 PM

Thank you Brian everyone has been so helpful on the forum we never thought people would help so much we have now brought the Aires books for Spain and Portugal also France ,we are going to spend a few weeks in Portugal and then move on to Spain in the Malaga area looking to visit Gibraltar not taking the motorhome as we have read its better to visit Gib by coach do you agree with this or not we would be pleased to hear your view[/quote

If you intend visiting Gibraltar by coach you might consider using a service bus which drives straight in. Tour coaches drop passengers off at the border and then you have to queue to get through customs which can take considerable time. When you have finished your visit you can return on the service bus again with no delay.

Ken not everyones cup of tea ref. was because I recomended Cabapino before and some people posted that they had visited and had not been impressed, not everyone is the same! Weather 18 to 22c most days. Last year more wind than year before. Price not seen this year yet, but their deals are on over 30days stay 14euro per nite. Itchy feet yes agree, winter wander is different, its the only one that we stay put any length of time. Cheers Iain

Have to say, was not impressed with Cabo, but if you have bikes maybe OK. Possision not that good, and site was not great either. It was a few years ago when we went, maybe it HAS improved, would not want to stay for more than a few days though. Horses for courses I guess!

PJay

I have driven into and around Gib in a M/H and it's not to bad, lots of traffic in some parts and parking can be difficult, but if you ask a policeman (there are a few) or a local they will tell you where you can park. Remember the Spanish customs might be working to rule as they sometimes do. So be careful how much stuff you buy in Gib, they might take it off you!

H

pw9crab - 2015-01-04 6:31 PM

Thanks for that could you tell us the prices to stay at Cabapino campsite please also what's not every ones cup of tea ? we are quite easy to please also can we use our ACSI card as we only want to stay approx. 2 may be 3 weeks as by then I will have itchy feet My wife is also asking what the weather is like in march thanks a lot Ken

Cabapino is certainly not everyone's cup of tea ------------me included. In one sense it's nice. Shortish walk to a lovely beach, stroll along the beach passed the naturists to a nice bar and a pleasant walk back especially after a few drinks. However we found shopping to be such a chore. You either de camp and drive or take your life into your hands by walking up the dual carriageway to the Lidl about a third of a mile away.There is a nearby garage that sells the odd thing and bread but virtually nothing else is available at the site bar. But longer term it is a chore. This is a site where a caravan with use of a car is best. We ended up catching the bus into Marbella to shop but it was all too much of an effort for us.

Thank -you all for your reply's we don't want to take the van in to Gibraltar but just go for a day trip ,as we have been told the best price inCabapino campsite is if we stay for a month is there any good sites around Cadiz that cater for shorter stays . So sorry to hear about the wind you had last year Iain hope it will be better this year {have heard you can get tablets for it } Thanks again for all you help and hope to meet some of you on our travels

Archived