Heating

chello

Happy new year. My daughter is in mid France in 2005 Bessaccarr with blown air gas heating,they have 2 leisure batteries 110 and 85 amp.It is realy cold where they stopped last night so I realise battery efficiency will be lower, they found the heating lasted only 5 hours. Would this be considered normal,my 2000 van has gas convector,so its a problem I don't have to consider. Hoping for quick response so thanks . Around 13 deg here in Torquay

The duration will be down to how warm you want to be. If you have the room stat set high then you are going to depleted the batteries rapidly.

I have looked at fitting a convector type heater but it has no where to fit so unfortunately left with blow air heating and the same battery problem. A good fleece helps :-D

A lot of variables Chello, how old are the batteries would be my first question, some folk think they last virtually forever, some only quote a charge / discharge cycle of around 150 X

We have a Truma C6002E, it will consume around 5 amps on start up, probably for around 15 minutes in very cold conditions, then throttle back to around 1 to 1.5 amps, so the maths are not that hard to do, we only have a single 110 amp battery, but it is relatively new, we have actually used the van over the Christmas period for extra accommodation for three nights with no EHU, and the battery held up fine.........in short all things being equal the state of the batteries would be my first choice of suspect. (!)

Why converters insist however on using blow air only systems is a mystery, it's the one thing I'd change in an instant if it was feasible, just like the guy above.

chello - 2015-01-01 11:57 AM

Happy new year. My daughter is in mid France in 2005 Bessaccarr with blown air gas heating,they have 2 leisure batteries 110 and 85 amp.It is realy cold where they stopped last night so I realise battery efficiency will be lower, they found the heating lasted only 5 hours. Would this be considered normal,my 2000 van has gas convector,so its a problem I don't have to consider. Hoping for quick response so thanks . Around 13 deg here in Torquay

So, nominally 195Ah of battery capacity. But unless one knows the ages of both batteries, their type and make, and what state of charge they were in at the beginning of the 5 hours, one knows nothing. If (big if! :-)) both batteries are fairly recent, are well matched other than in terms of size, and were fully charged, then the heater should have lasted much longer that 5 hours.

Duff, or poorly matched, batteries seem a strong possibility, but if they had not been fully charged at the beginning of the 5 hours it wouldn't matter whether they were brand new, deep cycle, genuine 110 + 85 Ah batteries, they would simply have had insufficient charge for the job in hand. So, more info required for anyone to begin to offer useful advice, I think.

Yes as I said, lots of variables ( above ) but how old are the batteries would be my first question (!) Then take it from there :-S

Archived