Route and Overnight stops Santander - Lagos

Bojitoes

Hi all

We are off to Turiscampo in Lagos, Portugal next month, previously we have always driven through France but this year, for the first time, taking the ferry to Santander.

The boat is due to arrive at 14.15, so based upon others experience, is it possible to get as far as Caceres the first night or only as far as say Burgos? After that am really open to suggestions re route and stopping places so any help / advice appreciated.

many thanks

Bob

Not a direct answer to your question Bob, but from experience , I would not go to Burgos if it has been wet, as it can get very swampy. Have not been in winter, but it was bad in June when we last went there, and it is all grass. Like Caceres, nice pitches and own toilet facilites PJay

Guest Had Enough

Caceres will be ambitious. It's about 350 miles and, after disembarking, you'll only be leaving Santander at about 3.00 p.m.

Burgos isn't on the best route and, if it were me, after a long ferry sailing, I'd be looking for an easy first drive and would stop at Palencia. That would be about 125 miles, or just under three hours.

There's a very good overnight aire at Palencia. It's free and has a service point for water etc. It's a two minute walk from the attractive centre should you fancy a restaurant. We've always found a spot on it. It's just a big car park but with dedicated motorhome bays that are quite wide.

My next leg would be Palencia/Caceres, which is an easy 240 miles. We love the municipal site at Caceres. It's cheap, has free wi-fi and your own private bathroom on each pitch. If you've never done it you should set off early and get to Caceres for lunchtime and, after parking up, take the bus into town. The old city is superb and well worth a visit. There's an aire at Caceres but it's a crowded place that can fill up quickly.

We like Turiscampo, having stayed there twice. It's the sort of place that we'd hate in August but in February it's brilliant and is a very classy site with superb facilities.

Sorry if you've been before and know all this, but just in case you haven't it's worth a mention.

I second the point about Burgos. The problem with the site is that water from the road drains onto the pitches so it is very easy to get stuck in the mud. It always rains in Burgos so at this time of the year you can guarantee it will be wet. When the site gets very wet I have seen motorhomes parked on the car park but am unsure whether this is by arrangement with the site or just wildcamping.

Hi Bob,

This is the way we do it when the ferry arrives in the afternoon,

First night http://tinyurl.com/knyrnjl (Aires) only 100 miles from ferry

Second night http://tinyurl.com/meepbuz (motorway stop secure with CCTV)

Third night http://tinyurl.com/n6ytgut (costs euro 4.5 on beach)

There are other options on here just use the map http://tinyurl.com/lzvpaef

Good luck, we will be doing this route in Feb slow and easy

Dave

Hi Bob, we did the santander route last year, had the company of johnontheroad "dave" on the crossing. We ended up going first stop to the aire at Cabarceno, as there was a delay unloading. Stayed there for 3 days as the sun was out and its a good little village, great watching the elephants. Burgos was a disaster darlin (been watching too much strictly), stuck in the mud. Will be parking on the road this year. Daves route sounds good and he has done it before.

Cheers Iain

HI,

Thanks for the suggestions and the links- we will definitely try them out. We have stayed at Burgos before and it was a bit wet then in February so think you are right and we should avoid.

Iain nice to hear from you again- maybe we will come across each other later in the year

Thanks again

Bob

Archived