Removal of plastic moulding from inside Autotrail Tracker Habitation Door

william1

I have a problem with the top 'bolt' locking mechanism of the habitation door - the bolt has lost its tension and hence the door is not locking securely. My first task is to remove the plastic moulding from the top half of the door to expose the locking mechanism and hence see what the problem is. The moulding is held on by a number of plastic plugs which I thought would contain a slot for a screw driver to facilitate the removal of the plugs - there are no slots. Any ideas

how to remove these plugs ?

I had the same trouble with our Starspirit, If i remember correctly you need to prise the trim away from the door as it's held in with plastic clips. I bought a set of trim removal tools off of ebay for about £4 and they've proved very useful, they let you remove various trim without damaging the clips or the moulding.

You'll probably find the spring which pulls the locking pin up/down has come off, very easy to fix.

No, the 'pegs'in the centre of the Plug need to be either pushed through, or pulled out (almost impossible) they are a horrible means of fitting, more common on car trim interiors, where they are treated as disposable(one use) items. The pegs open up a circular 'fan' arrangment which stops the fixing coming out.(like a Rawlplug) If you push them through, keep a sheet or something similar to catch them, when you remove the panel, as they have a habit of going missing. Good luck ! Ray

They are called "Push-Pin Rivets" usually only available in large quantity packs.

It's almost impossible to not loose any of the pins, but try DIY outlets for plastic dowel rods of same colour / diameter as replacement pins.

Tip 1:- Some of the pins will be pushed into the doors inner insulation

Tip 2:- depending on diameter try plastic curtain hooks, cut off a straight section for use, then once inserted cut off flush to rivet head.

lennyhb - 2015-01-06 11:10 AM

It it is similar to a Hartal door the plugs may be one shot, can't get them out without damage & you have to fit new plugs.

Even with Hartal door the "plug" should be retrievable once the "pin" has been pushed through.

I've had the inners off three times, twice to replace the upper and lower lock springs and again to replace the door lock. This was before I discovered the lock removal tool. The doors double wall construction has ate all of mine, the pins have been replaced with lengths of wood skewers until I can buy new ones.

Archived