Motorhome exterior washing and polishing

bedro

bertieburstner - 2015-02-14 3:24 PM

once you have it clean I recommend giving it a coat of Supagard. This is the stuff car dealers try to flog you for £200 when you buy a car. Get it from ebay at about £10 or less had it on my Bailey for just less than a year now and it really makes washing so much easier :-D

I would not recomend using a sealant on a motorhome especially if you have no experience with applying them. Unlike cars motorhome bodywork is designed to flex, sealants aren't, so in a few months you can end up with a van looking worse than when you started.

StuartO - 2015-02-14 1:04 PMI bumped this thread to report my expereinces of a roadside car wash, where I took our really filty MH this morning becuse the visiting valeter I have used in the past has given up.There was a bit of negotiation but they agreed to do it for twice the price of a car - which consideing the acreage of surface, was quite a good deal. It was a gang of Eastern Europeans, tidy-looking and energetic young men with a gang boss, who spoke some English.They were hampered by only having a low step to climb on but they did have brushes on sticks and sprayed bodywork and wheel several times between several rounds of pressure washing and hand washing with sponges. Lacking any high steps they didn't attempt the roof but I suspect they would have done. They dried off and did the windows again with some special stuff and blacked the tyres. ..... I will use these guys again if they are still around, and next time I'll take my high steps with me and get them to do the roof. Their big pressure washers and their spray tanks of chemicals (two different ones?) see to make easy work of things.£20 they charged - and worth every penny it was too.
I used some local guys once. They did a very good job, but I asked them not to pressure wash the solar panels, they nodded and did it anyway. No speaky, obviously. No problems subsequently with the panels, I was just being careful. But the more worrying bit was that one of them stood on the back of the bonnet, toes on the screen, to do the sloping front. Again, no damage, but worrying. So I haven't been back. It's taken me 3 (part) days with T-Cut Reviver (not very good, very hard to use and v. smeary) and Autoglym Resin (seems to be easier to use) to get anything looking as good as they did in only few minutes, for only £8. (smaller van). I've more to do, but it's raining. So, might consider going back next time, if I can find someone that speaks English.

StuartO - 2015-02-14 1:04 PM.....................They were hampered by only having a low step to climb on but they did have brushes on sticks and sprayed bodywork and wheel several times between several rounds of pressure washing and hand washing with sponges. ..................

Be a bit cautious, though, Stuart. It is generally recommended not to use pressure washers on coachbuilt bodies, as the power can blast water past any sealant joints. Once penetrated, the joints will remain as a source of ingress. May not be obvious at first, but will gradually become so. :-(

They are also dodgy if used on the fridge vents, as these are not designed to resist even a directly aimed hose. Suggest you remove the vents (if present), and check that the back of the fridge has not been given a bath it won't appreciate!

All valid points because of course these guys have no knowledge of MHs at all. I did put the winter covers on to the fridge vents and that was probably protection enough for the fridge but I will check.

They did mange to get a tablespoon or so of water into the cooker extraction fan outlet vent, past the motor and on to the kitchen surface, I decided not to check whether the fan was still working until the motor had dried out!

What Brian is saying is generally right as incorrect use of a pressure washer can have extremely bad results. Saying that I use a pressure washer for all my valets, the key things to remember are:- never start a pressure washer aiming at the van,use a wide fan, use lowish pressure and keep the pressure washer wand moving at all times. Obviously avoid any seals and I always take the fridge vents of to clean them and check to make sure they are dry.

Archived