Early X250 gearboxes.

webbocj

In 2007 when i bought our first M/H, we , like many others, had modifications carried out to overcome the "reversing judder". These included new engine mounts, engine stabiliser and new reverse cog. The later was a disaster resulting in a "rattle" when in 1st/2nd/3rd. Very embarassing when travelling slowly thro' villages and on campsites. A couple of years ago when we considered selling it, I had the gearbox rebuilt at a cost of some £1600. No further noise, and we kept it!! A couple of things from our trip to Greece last September concerned me was a real difficuly in selecting reverse, are there any adjustments to the external linkages and also a "kick" on the gearstick when deliberately comming off the gas when in 6th., does the engine stabiliser have replaceable bushes.

Whilst i've got pen to paper, a couple of things we experienced on this last trip was a breakdown, a burnt out starter motor. A stop for a photo, of the coastline and when we set off again, did the ignition key go back to the correct position (my brain keeps saying it didn't) it's something you never think about. The good thing was the insurance worked brilliantly, a call to the UK, a call from Europe, a "piggyback" wagon to a Fiat garage in Kalamata, taxi fare to and from hotel, two nights in good hotel(with free pedal bike hire) The insurance was Aviva!! chris

Hello,

It is highly likely that your rear engine mount requires replacement. Motor factors can supply replacements for about half the price of Fiat ones and they are fine. This will reduce but not eradicate the excessive movement of the gear lever when in 6th gear.

There is a rotating bush on the gearbox where the selector cables meet the shaft. This bush can get mucky and will eventually seize. This will fist show up as a tightness when moving left to right in neutral and culminate on difficulties selecting 1st and reverse. The bush has to be removed, thoroughly cleaned and greased before replacement. It is just as awkward to reach from underneath or above but it's probably marginally easier from above with the air filter housing removed. Less to remove from underneath on a ramp but its a bit of a reach!

Nick

Thanks Nick, I hoped you would reply, no ifs and buts. Can now get it sorted.

ps did the starter motor story ring any bells, is it possible that on "one" occasion the ignition key didn't return to the normal position and therefore left it engaged with the flywheel. I watch it now!

chris

Archived