which make of snow chains are best

lynneroy

Guest Peter James
Snow chains are awkward to fit in good conditions, and a rotten job to fit them when you are already stuck on snow - if you can do it at all - particularly if you have limited space around the wheelarch, which the chains will probably snag and damage when you try to get going. They are only of possible use when you have a hard surface covered in ice or snow, in which case you won't be badly stuck anyway. Likely stuck on a road where somebody will soon tow you out because they want you out of the way. If you are seriously stuck - i.e sunk into deep snow or soft ground out of the way so nobody cares if you stay there, snow chains will make matters worse by digging you in. So there aren't any I can recommend.

Peter James - 2015-02-22 6:44 PM

Snow chains are awkward to fit in good conditions, and a rotten job to fit them when you are already stuck on snow - if you can do it at all - particularly if you have limited space around the wheelarch, which the chains will probably snag and damage when you try to get going. They are only of possible use when you have a hard surface covered in ice or snow, in which case you won't be badly stuck anyway. Likely stuck on a road where somebody will soon tow you out because they want you out of the way. If you are seriously stuck - i.e sunk into deep snow or soft ground out of the way so nobody cares if you stay there, snow chains will make matters worse by digging you in. So there aren't any I can recommend.

Peter their are plenty of places in Europe where you cannot go without chains, not unless you want to risk a heavy fine anyway. I agree they are hard to fit on a lot of vans but having used them for years on a minibus during my seasons teaching off piste skiing in France they certainly work. No idea if they work on soft ground but assume poster meant for use in snow.

• 4 months later...

Hi

I also use Rud Classic and found them relatively easy to fit and remove when i used them in the alps the other winter. They worked for me and helped me move out up the steepish icy/snowy slope from the campsite.

Peter

I checked the Lidl chains and they stopped just short of the size needed for most vans.

My impression was they were lightweight and basically for emergency only UK use.

If you are going to be regularly driving in conditions where they are needed the old saying you pay for what you get applies.

Archived