Tom Tom Go 500 - 5000?

Keith T

My TT GO500 is 3 years old, and battery no longer holds charge. It still works Ok if plugged in to 12v or mains.

As I currently would have to pay to update the maps, and also the TT Live subscription runs out shortly , I am looking at a possibly changing, and have been recommended to the 5000 which comes with free map updating and free TT live, so the net effect of the cost for the new one is somewhat ameliorated. I understand that you have to pay a subscription for the speed camera updates after the first 3 months free, how much is this, and how often?

Would be interested to hear any comments on differences between the two, and if anything has been 'lost' in the later versions.

Most importantly does it still give the actual speed you are traveling at, and converts to Continental mode when abroad - ie kmph etc. Is there a way to transfer existing 'favourites' from the 500 to 5000?

I know there have been various comments about satnavs on the forum over the recent time, but am looking for specific info on these two models. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Hi. I have a Tomtom go live 1005. It has live traffic for 3 years and lifetime map updates. HOWEVER, I added the motorhome and caravan maps a few months ago. You can now change from normal car, to MH or caravan routing very easily. BUT, the map updates for this use are no longer available. I find Tomtom the best for sat navs. They are not 100%, but, they work. I may try updating the original maps for free and then see if they move over to the MH and caravan area of the device. You input the type and dimensions of your MH and it then sends you on an appropriate route.

Archived