going to portugale next week

pw9crab

pw9crab - 2015-02-23 1:37 PM

hi leaving st malo Tuesday morning heading down via burgos is there toll Bordeaux to border if so any id of cost trying to stay off pages

Yes i think that road was changed to toll last year, Can't remember how much it was. Maybe a google will show it? I thought it was "sneaky" of the French to "toll" that bit.. You could go via Pau and the somport tunnel into Spain. That is a good toll free road, and very scenic, not shore about the snow, would have to check the weather

PJay

Hi

Whenever we go to Spain we inevitably stop first in Burgos. The city itself, beautiful place with quite a good campsite "Fuentes Blancas" at Cartuja Miraflores (A1 Madrid-Burgos. At Burgos follow N623 to Santander. Campsite then signposted - ignore satnav from here). Grid reference co-ordinates N42degs 20'30" W3degs 39'28". The co-ordinates given are a little bit dodgy so be careful.

No bells or whistles on site but a basic bar and restaurant. However a very good cycle track into the city from the campsite 10 minutes and bus service.

We very rarely use peages of any form as we have plenty of time to travel, but we have used the last few miles from St Jean de Luz in France to make it easy crossing the border.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Alan

pw9crab - 2015-02-23 1:37 PM

hi leaving st malo Tuesday morning heading down via burgos is there toll Bordeaux to border if so any id of cost trying to stay off pages

Costs of the peage varies on size/type etc of your m/h. The old N10 south off Bordeaux has been toll for the past two years and is cheap enough for the average size vehicle. At this time of the year there are few alternative routes. We are going to Portugal soon and will use the peage wherever, particularly around Montreuil, Tours, Poitiers and Bayonne to the Spanish border. IMO its crazy to try and avoid all toll roads, use them to your advantage. Simples

We are currently in Spain and have used the toll roads, we are 9m long, tag axle, 5 tonnes and only charged the car rate !! Last year we travelled from Northern Spain down through Pirtugal and back without using any toll roads, no problems. The 'N' roads in Spain are superb ;-)

pw9crab - 2015-02-23 7:09 PM

thank you brian do you know the cost border to Vitoria gasteiz

No. I used the French autoroutes site to get the answer for Bordeaux to te border, as unlike ViaMichelin, it allows you to specify non-car vehicle types. I assume there's a similar site for Spain, but a) I generally don't use toll roads, and b) I don't go to Spain that often - so have never needed to find out.

Archived