New Zealand

davidmac

Yes hired a Motor home in Christchurch ,did 4 weeks on South island ,2 on North island left via Auckland .

Fantastic time beautiful places to see and visit .

Came back and brought Motor home ,7 years ago still enjoying the life ,still talk about New Zealand.

Yep done it twice. First was a rush 3 weeks both islands not much passed us on the road. Second for over three months superb and well worth it. They are geared up for camping (tents,motorhome not so much caravans) so well it will suprise you.

Not much traffic on the roads appart from cities and views to die for, research well and you will enjoy and remember for ever.

Yep did it 3 years ago ABSOLUTLEY FANTASTIC did an eight tour 5 weeks in the south and 3 weeks in the North. The N.Zealanders are so layer back they are horizontal, our claim to fame was when in Wanaka we both did a 16,0000 ft sky dive, both 73 years old then, mind blowing, as the T shirt says "just do it"

Get the info. On D.O.C.'s (Department of Coservation) you will not be disappointed.

When time available will do it again but for now we all ready for our 14 week trip touring Canada.

Curly :-D

Hi thanks for your replies and words of encouragement. We looked at this trip five years ago as a 40th wedding anniversary treat but other things got in the way and the idea was dropped. I saw a video of some of the scenery on another forum that I follow and it has me thinking again. The plan at the moment is a three night stopover outbound in Hong Kong two nights in a hotel in Christchurch,three weeks south island, two weeks north island with two nights in an Auckland hotel then three night stopover in Singapore. We are thinking that 1st or 2nd week in February next year would be the time to go, so have plenty of time yet to refine/change plans. One thing is that we have an A class m/h but would probably rent a pvc as a way of trying to keep the cost down a bit. If and when things are sorted I will update this thread.

Regards David

Three weeks in all two were cycling and one on North Island in a small campervan, very simple and easy, lots of small out of the way places. I looked forward to eating some fish and chose mussels, Worst thing ever, spent 2 days locked in the van mostly sat on a bucket. The rest of the time was great .Remember its earthquake prone with one road running right along a fault line. Lots of sulphur pools etc.

Will

Hi, first went to NZ in 1995 and hired Motorhome, sold us on both NZ and motor homing. We have been back several times since. Great country, great people. We often timed between seeing other vehicles on the road.

Downside.... getting there! Some very tight hairpin bends.

Go, you will love it!

We had a two month trip four years ago. A lot of reminiscing of places I had been in the 60s. However long you allocate, you will need longer - you can't be in a hurry - always later than the Tom Tom predicted! We rented an Apollo VW Crafter van conversion which was just right. End of Jan/Feb is the right time to go as the summer holidays are just finishing, rentals get cheaper and no need to book campsites.

Only problem with Jan/Feb is that the pohutukawas will be over. Personally I'd rather go in November/December and pay the premium to see this sight. Driving around the Coromandel peninsula with the pohutukawas in full bloom is a long lasting memory.

Archived