X 250 Dashboard Lamp Failure Warning light on, but all bulbs are bright and working.

tonyishuk

On my 2009 X250, I have the Lamp Failure warning light up on my dash display despite all my bulbs working. (Rather annoying as there was no sign of the warning before it went in for its MOT and cambelt change, and only showed as I left the garage !)

I have searched the internet, and it seems that the warning lamp only responds to certain Fiat lights / wiring and some bulbs are isolated. The reason being that converters use different bulbs (LEDs, wiring lengths and thicknesses) it is easier for Fiat to isolate their bits from the common herd.

My questions are;

How true is this?

Does anyone know which bulbs maybe affected? (If the foregoing is true, it only leaves the side lights and headlight bulbs.}

Or do I have to pull all the bulbs to check, or is there an error code that might say which circuit is affected?

There is a mixture of LED side markers and traditional bulbs, so tracking the fault is going to be interesting !

BTW does any Rapido owner, know how to get to the bulbs in the rear light clusters. The lenses are about 50 mm diameter. Close inspection seems to suggest they could open from the front, but I suspect that the cluster has to be removed.

Thanks

Rgds

On my 966f which has a similar rear end to your van the lights covered by the Lamp failure warning are the Headlights, Side lights, brake lights. I know this only because the warning light has shown on failures.

If it's like mine, the rear cluster comes off in one piece giving access to all the bulb holders. There is a small screw at top and bottom of the cluster.

Hope this helps.

Peter

I had the lamp failure light come on and the display tell me that the left front side light had failed.

Checked all the lights and all seemed ok. Eventually I discovered that the rear number plate light had blown and I has not seen it as I had checked in daylight !

tonyishuk - 2015-03-13 7:26 PM

On my 2009 X250, I have the Lamp Failure warning light up on my dash display despite all my bulbs working. (Rather annoying as there was no sign of the warning before it went in for its MOT and cambelt change, and only showed as I left the garage !)

I have searched the internet, and it seems that the warning lamp only responds to certain Fiat lights / wiring and some bulbs are isolated. The reason being that converters use different bulbs (LEDs, wiring lengths and thicknesses) it is easier for Fiat to isolate their bits from the common herd.

My questions are;

How true is this?........................

A shot in the dark tony, but is it possibile that during/following cambelt change, service (presumably) and MoT the garage has somehow inadvertantly set the control module to look for lamps that are not present. It just seems odd that the light should have come on after that work was done, but was not illuminated beforehand. I would imagine that which lamps are monitored through whichever module (presumably body) is achieved by modifying the resident program, and that the garage will have connected a laptop to the van to check correct functioning after the cambelt change. Wrong button pressed? :-) Nick will probably know if this is feasible.

Actually Brian, I don't!

What i do know is that the bank of switches for hazard lights and other things that is in the middle of the dashboard is the lighting 'node' and all lighting functions are supposed to go through this. It replaces relays and is part of the can-bus.

There is a further node (on panel vans) that is accessed from the step in the driver's footwell and this has a couple of fuses for van side marker lights and number plate lights. I would imagine that a further node for 'converters' is in the same place on the passenger side but I have never needed to look there on any conversions that we have worked on.

Ironically I have a fault with a 2014 vehicle at the moment that had a smashed driver's door mirror replaced with a non-factory item a few weeks ago. Ever since then there has been a warning light on saying that an off-side indicator is out and the indicators (on the dashboard) are flashing quickly to signify the fault. On the outside of the vehicle everything is working as it should though! I have replaced the side repeater bulb in the mirror and it made no difference. We have noticed that the hazard warning switch does not flash when the hazards are switched on and this suggests a fault with the aforementioned control unit. The vehicle will be going to the dealer to have this fixed under warranty at the next service; so we will hopefully find out what is going on.

Nick

• 2 months later...

Firstly, many apologies for leaving it so long and not acknowledging posters replies to my query, and thanks for your replies.

In common with Lemony Snicket, I have suffered “A Series of Unfortunate Events” which have both slowed my investigations and response.

After further investigation, I found that the sidelight bulb had blown in the cycle rack lights. The rack is towbar mounted and uses the towbar electics ( standard 7 pin ). However I would have thought this would not have been picked up via the canbus. I am under the impression, maybe incorrectly, that the Fiat lighting would be isolated from the towbar lighting via relays (either electronic or electromechanical) .

However I have now found that when I lock, or unlock the doors, which also arm or disarm the alarm, the side lights in the cycle rack remain lit for maybe 20 seconds or so. The indicators do there usual acknowledgement of the arming / disarming. There is no corresponding lighting of the Fiat side / parking lights which I thought would have be lit at the same time and duration as the lighting of the rack side lights.

Unplugging the trailer lights, testing all the lights, etc has not reset the bulb failure light in the dashboard.

It seems to me that the illumination of the trailer sidelights is a result of, or cause of the bulb failure light to be lit. But quite how the light can be extingushed I do not know.

To me, It is not a problem, other than an irritation, BUT could it be a problem come MOT time ?

Slightly O/T but Euroserve’s (Thanks btw) cites the bunch of buttons in the console that activate the hazards, fogs ect.

I don’t know if I am alone with this, but I have no front fog lights, but a fully funtioning switch that lights up telling me they are on. That should confuse the scanbus ! Athough switching the non existant fog lights on and off, never caused a warning to come on before this incident.

Rgds

Archived