Tiny pension advice please?

Pampam

Hello you clever bunch ,has anybody got a clue about whether you can cash in a small pension that you are already drawing on ? I have a minute private one that pays £2.00 A YEAR! And another that pays ten pound a month (bhs) to be honest i could do with having neither as they are not worth anything but the paperwork that comes with them is ridiculous ,i heard pensions were changing and wondered if it would incude such as these ? Cheers pp:)

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2015-03-23 9:07 AM

But not until after April 2016 as I understand it?

Unless we get get a change of government that scraps it before then?

If I've understood it correctly then everyone with an annuity will be able to cash it in at anytime? :-S .......

So my thinking is live of the income from the annuity until about 70 ish then cash it in and spend it all on beer and skittles :D ..............better than letting the insurance company keep it B-) ............

pelmetman - 2015-03-23 2:38 PM

If I've understood it correctly then everyone with an annuity will be able to cash it in at anytime? :-S .......

If I've understood it correctly, new claimants who have reached the appropriate age can opt to take the cash in one lump instead of starting an annuity from April 2015, and existing claimants who are already taking an annuity income can opt to take cash in place of the income for the rest of their lives from April 2016?

But, the dosh will be taxed which, depending on whether it is taxed as income for the present F/Y, might take off the shine a bit. After all, the annuity was bought with the proceeds from your pension fund, which should have been enjoying some growth over the years you contributed.

As an aside, I'd be interested to see how full an account of the sum to be paid out is presented. I somehow doubt, cynic that I am, that it will be completely transparent. :-(

Archived