PARKING AT HOME

mansell

Hi, We have a Hymer 640 Starline and we have a space at the rear of our house large enough to take the 'van but we need to have the kerb lowered, and have found out that we don't need planning permission. But before we go any further, we would like to know if anyone has had this done and what were the resulting costs not including the hard standing for the 'van but just the costs for lowering the kerb.

Hi Mansell, In our area you don't need planning permission either but only the council can actually install the lowered kerbs. We were lucky when the council re-surfaced our street about ten years ago they installed dropped kerbs at any house with a driveway for free but I think it was a couple of hundred pounds for them to do it otherwise. Check with your local council. D.

If you only need it for getting your motorhome in and out, do you really need to go to the expense of actually having the curb lowered? Can you just drive up/down it when you need, or alternatively place some wood to act as a step up, or even wedges. Saves a lot of expense. The only downside is that it won't prevent anyone parking on the road at the point where you do this.

I personally would drive over the kerb with the wooden block in the gutter and see if you have a jealous neighbour. If you do the council will send you a letter, which you can respond to and get the kerb dropped. Dont make a problem until a problem occurs. Ok technically it is an offence under the Highways act but are the police going to sit outside your house and issue you with a £30 fine I dont think so they are run ragged trying to fill all the paperwork the system requires nowadays. Pete

Hi I always have to mount the curb as I swing into our drive, the dropped curb section isn't wide enough, but last week the council started relaying all the paths and drives up to your boundary, £150 to the contractors and its now 3 curbs wider. (lol) Olley

I wouldn't worry unduly about driving over the kerb, how many times do you go down residential streets and see cars parked half on the pavement with 'warning' stickers on them? Never! So long as you don't damage it you shouldn't have any problems, if you do, sort them when they occur, don't worry about something that might never happen. Mel B PS: Mansell - where in East Yorkshire are you then chuck?

Hi we had our kerb lowered when we had a caravan the coucil was lowering runups in the area but were a couple of streets away from us we still had to pay £547 its discraceful we have two runups but only had the one done, they still havent done the other one even though other people had the two done even in one case we saw it led to a brick wall the gate had been bricked up!! work that one out!! (!)

Our neighbours went a bit quiet when we suggested that we park our proposed 'van outside the house even though it's on our drive *-) Also some Deeds don't allow large vehicles parked for more than a specified number of days a year Here people park on the pavement, half on and half off the pavement, wrong way down the road without lights ....... and that's just the village bobby! >:-(

I only brought up the legality issue because my neighbour (a few year ago) was fined twice, first for parking facing the wrong way so he used a wooden block to put his car in his garden, then he was fined for driving over a non dropped kerb! People around here used to get warned first and fined later for parking on the footpaths. Now it seems that anyone can do it and the police will just drive past. D.

The nice council man said we are re-surfacing the road and would you like the kerb lowered a bit more of course you can how much Free he said. Thats the first thing the council have done for other than cause me grief. If other people are parking on the pavement then take a picture thats what digital camera`s are for, i had problems with the council for reversing onto the pavement due to a neighbour from hell . I have a very steep drive and its difficult to reverse into off a main road. But i had evidence that other neighbours do the same, I stated its common practice similar to stating its common law.the outcome was they did nothing. Although i do reverse my camper onto the drive and hold all the traffic up whilst i do it It costs the council money to take you to court and they dont want the press to give them a bad name for being petty and wasting tax payers money. They really shy away when you mention MP`s and the press. So just do it because it wont be that often anyway. Pete

Archived